Topic: Unattended CD or RIS

Hopefully I've got this in the right area....  Just wanted to ask people their thoughts on the topic, but first a little history (might help see why I'm stuck!)..

For the last 18months or so (possibly longer but it's all begining to blur together!) I've been using 1 image that we kept updating (by ghosting before and after sysprep) Yes I can hear you cry 'no don't do it that way' etc etc.. But time and resources where non-existant..  In that time I did experiment with a new image that integrated the DP so that it wasn't so hardware dependant, but the old problem of time and resources cropped up and that plan went west..  Only problem is in the last month I've had a few users complaining about Flash Player not working and I've also had doubts and nagging thoughts about the image in general..

So much digging, hours spent on the phone with Adobe and I've come to the definite conclusion that it's the image, ok fine wonderful how to fix it...  I could go back to doing it the long winded way Shiny XP disc, download drivers, updates, install software, sysprep and then ghost..  OR I'm now thinking what about RIS or an Ultimate XP installer disc.  Slipstreaming updates/driverpacks into either install option therefore cutting image master building down from say a whole day to a few hours..  But the rub is which is better, which is easier to keep uptodate and which would possibly cope better if the penny-pinchers decide to change vendor from say HP to Dell ?  I looked at RIS many moons ago and it "worked" but we never really looked at it or saw what potential it might have had.

So your opinions??  Is there a "best" way?  Or is it better to perhaps look at a mix of packages each chosen for their task?  The experiment I did with the DP loaded image gave a lot of in-sight into what can be done with time and (helpfully!) this adobe problem has somehow given me plenty of time to look into alternate ways to get to the solution.

As always, all advice greatly appreciated.

Rob

http://d1syubgj0w3cyv.cloudfront.net/cdn/farfuture/Av2BDsDf_iiqO8a4dpI49DKicUs_0zEQtEPcTGyCqV4/perpetual:forever/userbar/tester-1.png

On a mission to re-educate users the Clue stick way!

Re: Unattended CD or RIS

Great question.

I would like to start out by saying I am a huge fan of ghost. I always Ghost every machine I repair before I touch it.
Ghost is great if you have bought 20 new machines that are identical. Ghost casting rocks!

I almost never use ghost to load machines anymore. Ghost images are HAL and HDD controller dependent.
(unless you put a LOT of time / work into it)

I am of the mindset that if a machine has gone south and needs reloaded it probably also needs to have the CPU fan dusted and the cards and cables thumbed and power supply fan checked. That's just me... I like to be thorough.
so since I'm there i just drop in a DVD and go to lunch. wink

I have creating UWXPCD (or DVD) down to a science and can spit one out in about 20 min or less. modifying that image for a specific domain or user name log-in only requires editing the winnt.sif file (in which case burning takes longer than the edit!)

basic lineup is

1st   RyanVM integrator - for windows update slipstreaming
2nd  nLite - for unattended XP settings
3rd  DriverPacks (you are here wink )
4th  WPI (Windows Post Installer) For automating end user application installs like office and adobe.
5th  Use nLite to create an ISO (which I left running after step two) . 

everything you ever wanted to know about UWXPCD can be found at MSFN.org
http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/

RIS and UWXPCD are not mutually exclusive.
Our Friend RogueSpear has a program that makes a RIS source using your UWXPCD.
That program is called AutoImage.
http://www.doitrightconsulting.net/forum/

RIS is indispensable if you are not on site.
I configure my machines to use the boot ROM on the NIC if the HDD fails to boot.
I remote in and cause an issue that will make the machine fail to boot to the HDD and restart it.
Since I have a fully unattended image setup with all drivers and applications my image will work on ANY machine with a boot ROM enabled NIC. What could be easier?

IMHO

the only downside to this might be time.
I can Ghost a machine in about 30 minutes and a fresh install takes a little over an hour.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

OverFlow wrote:

Great question.

I would like to start out by saying I am a huge fan of ghost. I always Ghost every machine I repair before I touch it.
Ghost is great if you have bought 20 new machines that are identical. Ghost casting rocks!

It does!! smile  We've been a big fan and user of ghost now for a few years thankfully like you mention on identical hardware, generally 1 image will service (over the course of a year) all new machines ordered (so could be Dell, HP, A N Other.. whom evers cheaper *sigh*)

Overflow wrote:

I almost never use ghost to load machines anymore. Ghost images are HAL and HDD controller dependent. (unless you put a LOT of time / work into it)
I am of the mindset that if a machine has gone south and needs reloaded it probably also needs to have the CPU fan dusted and the cards and cables thumbed and power supply fan checked. That's just me... I like to be thorough. so since I'm there i just drop in a DVD and go to lunch. wink

This is why I believe I need to change our processes here where I work as I guess we've just been very VERY lucky in regards of ghost working or not.  And we do spend a heck of a time now clearing machines out before handing them back, again thats a newish thing to some people here but when you've had a machine thats been on 24/7 for 6months it WILL clog up it's fans!!

Overflow wrote:

I have creating UWXPCD (or DVD) down to a science and can spit one out in about 20 min or less. modifying that image for a specific domain or user name log-in only requires editing the winnt.sif file (in which case burning takes longer than the edit!)

basic lineup is

1st   RyanVM integrator - for windows update slipstreaming
2nd  nLite - for unattended XP settings
3rd  DriverPacks (you are here wink )
4th  WPI (Windows Post Installer) For automating end user application installs like office and adobe.
5th  Use nLite to create an ISO (which I left running after step two) .

Thats one thing I wanted to see what others did, in which order to process in..  Like I said so far I've experimented with DriverPacks and did look at Ryans but unless you download his beta update it's quite old (July 07 I think?) so was looking into other routes or waiting to see whether there were any major issues with Ryans beta before going down that route.
nLite I've got but not really played with, BUT I do see the potential for configuring the PC just how you want it which is so time consuming atm.  WPI I haven't really looked at in detail yet as last time I looked at it the howto was quite confusing (nowt like the one here!!) plus some of our "specific" apps aren't bundled into MSIs yet so I've added that to my list of things to work on... 

Overflow wrote:

RIS and UWXPCD are not mutually exclusive.
Our Friend RogueSpear has a program that makes a RIS source using your UWXPCD.
That program is called AutoImage.
http://www.doitrightconsulting.net/forum/

RIS is indispensable if you are not on site.
Since I have a fully unattended image setup with all drivers and applications my image will work on ANY machine with a boot ROM enabled NIC. What could be easier?

RogueSpears util was actually one of the things I found recently while begining to look into this that made me think about the RIS route..  But I can see where your going (and the advantage) of getting things working on DVD first then squirting the whole thing into RIS, therefore only having to really update one source (the dvd) at any one time.

The way I'm thinking (and tell me if I'm wrong) build up initially onto dvd (I already accept it'll be too large for CD) then once happy, possibly inject into RIS to allow network installs therefore we now have one off & odd specs covered.  Also using the same method i can also resort back to ghost for mass install on identical kit but using the UWXPDVD or RIS to do the initial rollout & config.

Rob

Last edited by unseen (2008-02-29 04:27:13)

http://d1syubgj0w3cyv.cloudfront.net/cdn/farfuture/Av2BDsDf_iiqO8a4dpI49DKicUs_0zEQtEPcTGyCqV4/perpetual:forever/userbar/tester-1.png

By George I think he's got it!

Sysprep is such a PITA, I would just rather reload each time rather than fight with it, and i belive it results in a cleaner final product.

I still use Ryans OLD integrator and will wait for the beta to go gold before I use it in prodution (same with XP SP3).
for the latest updates you have to check on his rss feeds page.  http://tracker.ryanvm.net/
For windows updates that are not yet out from RyanVM you can use nLite to add them (That is what I do)

I have a script that I wrote and use for slipstreaming updates to office
http://www.msfn.org/board/Office-Patche … 89038.html

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

PS almost every program you can think of has been added to WPI over the years.
You won't need to reinvent the wheel - somebody has already posted a method to automate the install of almost any progams you may need to install. If not they will fall over themselfs to help you... smile

OverFlow wrote:

PS almost every program you can think of has been added to WPI over the years.
You won't need to reinvent the wheel - somebody has already posted a method to automate the install of almost any progams you may need to install. If not they will fall over themselfs to help you... smile

Ahem with these I think I might... Doubt there has been much call for "Clinical Workstation" or "Bedman" smile  but then again..... There are probably plenty of equally frustrated NHS techies so I shall investigate further!

OverFlow wrote:

By George I think he's got it!

Sysprep is such a PITA, I would just rather reload each time rather than fight with it, and i belive it results in a cleaner final product.

I still use Ryans OLD integrator and will wait for the beta to go gold before I use it in prodution (same with XP SP3).
for the latest updates you have to check on his rss feeds page.  http://tracker.ryanvm.net/
For windows updates that are not yet out from RyanVM you can use nLite to add them (That is what I do)

I have a script that I wrote and use for slipstreaming updates to office
http://www.msfn.org/board/Office-Patche … 89038.html

Oh Believe me... I got it after nearly 4hours on the phone to the us speaking with Adobe (who I have to say have been and still are very VERY helpful.. Take problems with their apps quite seriously!)  Basically the problem that has pushed/shoved/spur'd me in this direction was a wonderous bug that meant flash worked as an administrator (so myself and other tech colleagues would always see it working) but log in as a user or even a power user and blamo.. No flash, doesn't even think it's installed! Big WHOOPS!  But I did learn something.. NEVER EVER assume that no-one reporting a fault means there isn't one.. If I'd not become (and I'll admit to it!) content with the image I'd possibly have spotted this major cockup sooner.  Now I can't fully point the finger at our image screwing up but initial tests I've done so far do hint at it, so hopefully I've learnt my big lesson for this year (famous last words! smile )

Sysprep IS a PITA...  I readily admit it.. and when it breaks it generally breaks quite interestingly!  But having hacked at it now for a few years (and with some recent input and advice from DriverPacks very own JakeLD) I'm still willing to let the old dog have it's day once I've got a new 'system' in place to build the clean masters (I could mention Landesk... but I'd never lower myself that far! smile ) to be fair once I've got the start of the disc running and then add to it, it will be interesting to see at some point the time difference, so currently to boot, image and get to first login I'd say it's currently around 10-15mins (using usb pendrives preloaded with the ghost image)

And thanks for the tip for Office!

well my WPI install is like 75 programs and takes 30 minutes to run and executes 3 reboots. so my install takes a little over an hour to install windows and all the apps on a half way decent machine.

like i said i am a big fan of ghost its definately faster but i still will stick to my guns
A clean load can't be beaten. I'll burn the extra time for the load.
especially a clean load that is updated monthly (i update my disk monthly since it only takes about 15~20 minutes.)

It is not like i have to watch it wink

i dont know that everyone does this or is amused as easily as me but...
WPI will play a song while it is loading,
my install takes 30 minutes so...
I play "shine on you crazy diamond" by pink floyd because it's around 27 minutes long and plays once.
so when the music stops i know my install is done (meaning i don't even need a monitor or to even be in the same room to know if its working and when it's done)
and it tests my sound drivers  - hee hee

My last real hands on experience with ghost was when I used 6.2 Corp.
After that, I used WDtools (free), maxblast (free), acronis (sometimes free. I have a NFR full suite), and paragon (a trial is free but I could get NFR full suite).
I have a boxed ghost 10 I never looked at because.. (Well, Because it is not Corp.)

I miss the command line for forensic (That was cool). I miss the ease of use.
I miss ghost.
But, I can do what I did in ghost in paragon and acronis, and the free hard disk managers by seagate/WD/IBM are good too.

Last edited by Jaak (2008-02-29 18:25:11)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

i like ghost 8.3 corp and have several companies setup with a dedicated ghost backup server
they image key servers weekly during a maintanance window
i use an AT command to replace the boot.ini . reboot to a ghost boot partition then restore the boot.ini.
then image the primary partition to the raid array on the ghost server and reboot.

Its money in the bank if disaster strikes.

and you don't have to wonder if somebody fed the darnd thing a tape.

If I remember right... (Can't find my copy on my home machine) We're still using 8.3 Corp as it's the last "decent" version before they went a little erm.. Nuts!!..    I keep getting phone calls asking if I'm going to upgrade anytime soon and the stock answer so far is "Yes I will.... When you put it back the way it was!" which usually gets a small chuckle from the Symantec sales droid..

Not that I have any major issues with it, well.... Apart from the newer versions aren't backwards compatible when it comes to image read/write (But I could be wrong there and doing them a disservice) again the old chestnut of time crops up, as is usual boss will ask for the latest bleeding edge image but won't give any time up to test/eval the new tools..  Well he wouldn't till now, I'm begining to see this flash issue as more of a blessing than a curse (I'll probably regret saying that at some point!!)..

Other imaging software we've used I've mentioned very briefly and thats landesk, and gawd it's a pig, it's slow, it's painfull to operate and it just seems a plain waste of time!  No support whatsoever of multicasting, and woe betide anyone who try's to image 5 machines over it eep!

If I can find a quicker method (and we're doing it the hard way.. USB Booting UBCD4win > Ghost32 > Image off usb) and that takes (inc boot time of ubcd) 10minutes, but from your comments overflow I can see an extra 20 mins a box, but like you say it's a "master" build everytime, I'm begining to like the idea...  You mention 75 apps... I'd say (rough count) 30 could be more but I doubt it.. Only trouble causes I can possibly see are Java and .net (required for 2 of our internal apps..)   

Oh Overflow you mentioned you add updates via nLite that aren't in ryans, is that litterally just getting the list off ryans so far then downloading from MS Download centre the remainder?

Thanks again for your suggestions and comments I am taking them all on-board

Rob

Well you have impressed me, so I will elaborate

I use a virtual machine to test before I do anything else.

I use vmware so I need the vmware tools
(the VMWare lines can be omitted if you don't use VMW and if you do 
the install will fail silently if vmware isn't the current environment.
so there is no need to remove them)

with ryanvm integrator;
I add NR_IE7en_Addon_1.0.6b.7z and have no issues with that.
i also add ReapersOODef10Addon.7z

I also use RogueSpears .NET All-In-One Addon  (dotnetaio.exe)
but i don't use ryanvm to install it - see below

from my cmdlines.txt I call runonceex.cmd
which contains the commands

rem runonceex.cmd file
for /f "delims=: tokens=1" %%i in ("%~dp0") do SET drive=%%i:

"%drive%\vmw\VMTools.msi" /quiet /norestart
rem VMware Tools will install if we're in VMware

REGEDIT /S "%drive%\WPI\Install\REG\OO.REG"
rem registers O&O defrag

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY%\996 /V 1 /D "cmd /c start /wait %drive%\WPI\INSTALL\SYSTEM\dotnetaio.exe"
rem   installs .net before we run WPI which is a .NET based app 
rem   so WPI won't crash like it will if we run the .net installer from WPI...

REG ADD %KEY%\996 /V 2 /D "%SystemDrive%\DPsFnshr.exe"
rem ;) driverpacks finisher

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
REG ADD %KEY% /V runtwiceex /D "%drive%\$OEM$\RunTwiceex.cmd"

EXIT
rem runtwiceex.cmd file
rem @ECHO OFF

for /f "delims=: tokens=1" %%i in ("%~dp0") do SET drive=%%i:

"%drive%\WPI\Tools\reschange.exe" -width=1024 -height=768 -force -quiet
rem makes absolutely certain that 1024x768 gets set 
rem (I don't know why this has to be so difficult but it is)

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
REG ADD %KEY%\996 /V 3 /D "%drive%\WPI\WPI.hta"
rem   sets wpi to run after the reboot. 

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
REG DELETE %KEY% /V runtwiceex /F
rem  delete the key that called this file making sure runtwice only runs once... (hee hee) 

SHUTDOWN /R /F /T 1
rem   we need to reboot because we just finished installing .net 
rem   and it requires a reboot before we can successfully run WPI.

EXIT

after WPI has run and i reboot my unattended install is completed in VMWare
I then run MSUpdate which provides the missing patches list for Office and Windows.

I download all the missing MS windows patches and integrate them to my UWXP source with nLite.
i download all the missing Office patches and use my script to add them.

its complicated but its bullet proof too. Often people talk about the "time" required. From my perspective if it's Unattended then time is not really an issue is it, I mean you don't have to watch it, or even be there.

Jeff

PS JAVA installs like a dream from WPI
useing RyanVM Sun JRE 6 Update 4 Switchless Installer

as i said almost any program you can think of - somebody has already automated the install

http://tracker.ryanvm.net/ is a good place to start and then check the nLite forums.

PSS i liked the sumation you made - every machine is a master...
and therefore is as clean and up to date as is possable.

now if i had 20 identical machines to load - one master... ghost cast... DONE... no brainer...

hat off, understood this topic quite well, this is what i do really, as in ghosting at present,

a little tip for imaging, if you want to utilize full UDMA functions with ghost try this

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stu … dma/devel/

2.7 version is very stable, and use the overlap switch "/O" for extra reliability, yes a small hit in performance is hit, but still Ultra DMA will be active, so a lot faster either way, speed difference to expect in ghost 30 to 60% increase in speed and because the CPU will not be getting pestered by the hard drive any longer, compression speed will increase a lot aswell, comes in handy when multicasting for sure, and the extra speed at compressing can't help, but of course there is always a downside, it doesn't always work, 2% of the time it may fail, so out of a 100 machines it may fail on 2 (and one more thing, do not try this in VMWare, version 5 supported this, but version 6 does not, DMA functions are already in VMWare by default, so this program will corrupt DMA memory)

there's other versions there on the site, like XDMA and some other, but in all honesty i have not tried them, took a while to create a cd with this version, and i had 2 cd's, one with and one without (yes i could of created 1 cd and create a bat file that showed a choice if to enable it or not....problem is i don't know how, scripting is not for me i can tell you)
and it was difficult to get it integrated with this http://www.netbootdisk.com/

but got there in the end

however XDMA unlike UDMA works with chipsets that don't utilize the south bridge, at the time of me using this driver in dos environment the systems we had were all old, so i chose to safer option and used UDMA2, however i may try out XDMA as i'm using ghost on new systems now, and motherboard companies are trying to eliminate the need for southbridge chipsets, as southbridge's actually degrade performance now because system are getting so fast

just thought you should know, (unless of course you already do)

OverFlow

you mentioned about RIS, (http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic. … 82&p=3) and been reading a lot over at MSFN, i knew it existed, but never could entertain it, as it requires windows server 2003, which i've tried, and to be honest, i was messing around with security options, and i broke it, it wouldn't let me install programs,

i only tried it because it's been a long time since trying windows 2000 server (i was young then)

but the fact is, i was in way over my head, windows server 2003 was....well to much, too many options, and the manual and help files makes the bible look small you know,

and the fact that i broke it within 2 hours, well we all have our limits, and our maximum potential, well windows server edition's of any kind is way over my I.Q. level (no time for beating about the bush), and i admit it,

so without windows server RIS is out of the question (or at least not practical to use)

but you and people in MSFN i have to admit got me curious, so whilst digging around for info on "CD image ISO for PXE booting" and "UBCD4 Windows booting via PXE", i kept running into people having wars with each other which is better Imaging based, or RIS installs, this got me curious even further,

so after more digging (and listening to more people fighting with each other what method is better or not, (i say if there both good, then learn both)) i surprisingly found this very interesting website, and obviously my eye's lit up,

and i was hoping if you or anyone here could shed some light,

(i apologize, i know this is off topic, however i have every intention of utilizing Driverpacks with this program)

i found this topic so instead of posting in above i posted here, and put link above so you know what I'm talking about and where I'm connected to

anyway this is the website and program,

http://www.windowsdream.com/

i just wondered because of this

http://www.windowsdream.com/winner.html

seems really interesting, hasn't been updated for a while, but if it allows me to create a RIS, without having to learn RIS, well that would be great,

could you shed some light on this, is it good, no good, throw job, or good for windows for dummies (ME) but doesn't nor would it ever replace a full on RIS set-up.

Last edited by Registered (2008-04-03 17:16:47)

there are a couple of users who drop-in here that do RIS off a Linux server. that would be difficult.
I do silly stuff like that sometimes... for fun... my friends often ask why? just to hear the answer: the one they know is coming

Because I can... wink ...

I think you should not let your first attempt at 2003 intimidate you.
Think of it as XP with PMS you just have to proceed carefully

i have loaded 2003 server countless times.
Yet i find it still takes me a few runs at a new setup before i am happy with it.

i will usually get it all up and running with drivers and updates and then ghost it right before i promote it to a domain controller.
that saves a couple of hours if you choose poorly when setting it up. jsut restore the image from right before you promoted it.
and you get a clean slate in no time. the server side setup of ris is not difficult. the biggest issue with ris is making sure the lan drivers get installed (unless you copy everything to the local drive first)

give 2003 a second chance - besides now you have found out there are support comunities out there. wink

Just thought I'd pop my head in the door briefly and say thanks to all the team, especially overflow for his advice with unattended installs.  I'd like to say all went well with 'Beta 1' of my unattended... Unfortunately it didn't and I think I'd probably call it more an 'Alpha 1' release smile

I'm having a break at the moment from trying to bugfix an annoying problem that only occurs once the unattended is sysprep'd, essentially everything appears to work ok but just as minisetup fires up "c_20127.nls" is listed as missing.  Various searches point at nlite being the cause, how well that's what I'm looking at now.  Personally I think perhaps I've been a bit too vicious in the language removal so that's my first point of call.  Ever encountered that one on your travels overflow or is this as my various searches seem to point to a 'sysprep' only glitch?  I do like the various fixes listed even one by JakeLD that I'll experiment with too but the best one was to remove the "InstallFilePath" line from sysprep and that does at least make the error go away, but I'm not convinced it's fixed so I've got my bugspray and a heavy duty swatter and that will be this weeks job.

Hopefully if I can offer any help to others in a similar situation (No budget.. cobbled together hospital network... *ahem* oh wait wrong situation!)

PS.  WPI is VERY good!!.. Well recommended Overflow.  (Are you on commission for them... if not why not? smile )  Showed a few colleagues the "Beta" and they were very impressed... Even with it only installing 5 items so far (they're easily pleased!!! big_smile)

Always a pleasure to hear how things are progessing with our members.

We have a few hard core SysPrepers here i am sure you will get some hints if not he answer.

PS "if i had a nickel" wink   PSS jeff doesn't recomend junk, lol