Topic: Change in directory structure?

This appears to be purposeful looking at the information page for the driverpack but I wanted to make sure that it was expected that the WLAN driverpack expanded into approx. individual 210 folders inside D instead of 210 folders inside D\W

Re: Change in directory structure?

Hi,
yes, this was done on purpose.
We was looking at the path length in method 1 and this shortens it.
210 times \ (and about 70 obsolete folders gone) shortened path a good deal.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Dear All,

I think I find a way to accommodate more drivers in a less space. Or any other innovative way you can use this finding.

i have collected all the hardware id's from DP_WLAN_wnt5_x86-32_803 and did a search as mentioned below.

Search String Hardware ID Only - PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_001A

DP_WLAN_wnt5_x86-32_803\D\W\5x\net5211.inf
DP_WLAN_wnt5_x86-32_803\D\W\AtT\net5211.inf
DP_WLAN_wnt5_x86-32_803\D\W\DBB\NetA3AB.inf
DP_WLAN_wnt5_x86-32_803\D\W\DEB\net5211.inf

If we can

Search String Hardware ID Only - PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0013

DP_WLAN_wnt5_x86-32_803\D\W\3d\3C154A72.inf
[C:\DP_WLAN_wnt5_x86-32_803\D\W\5x\net5211.inf]
[C:\DP_WLAN_wnt5_x86-32_803\D\W\AL\CVN3AB.inf]
[C:\DP_WLAN_wnt5_x86-32_803\D\W\AtH\net5211.inf]
[C:\DP_WLAN_wnt5_x86-32_803\D\W\AtT\net5211.inf]
[C:\DP_WLAN_wnt5_x86-32_803\D\W\BL\BWI715.inf]
[C:\DP_WLAN_wnt5_x86-32_803\D\W\C2\net21.inf]
[C:\DP_WLAN_wnt5_x86-32_803\D\W\Co3\netConicG.inf]
[C:\DP_WLAN_wnt5_x86-32_803\D\W\Co4\netConicG.inf]
[C:\DP_WLAN_wnt5_x86-32_803\D\W\D6\NetA3AB.inf]
[C:\DP_WLAN_wnt5_x86-32_803\D\W\D7\NetA3AB.inf]
[C:\DP_WLAN_wnt5_x86-32_803\D\W\DBB\NetA3AB.inf
[C:\DP_WLAN_wnt5_x86-32_803\D\W\DEB\net5211.inf]
and so...on

What i can understand from this is, if you ignore the subsystem ID (subsystem Vendor) it may lead to only few manufacturers not the integrators.The benefit may be we can reorganize the folder Like Atheros,Intel & Broadcom where only real manufacturers will be listed and then add a tag file for each folder of which of the models, oem's are supported by the driver listed.

The second benifit may be space and mobility where a little space can accommodate more drivers.This can be achieved by adding similar hardware id's together with the subsystem id and description like DP_WLAN_wnt5_x86-32_803\D\W\DEB\net5211.inf + DP_WLAN_wnt5_x86-32_803\D\W\AtT\net5211.inf in to single file and folder.

The third benefit may be we can have list of supported drivers and its hardware id's (Pnp id's), so that it can be used to double check when someone post and claims it's not supported by the driver pack which will enable us to add more drivers or supported devices.

[Folder Name]
Provider = D-Link
DriverVer = 05/23/2003,5.140.0523.2003
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8180&SUBSYS_33021186 = D-Link Air DWL-650 Wireless Cardbus Adapter(rev.M)
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8180&SUBSYS_33031186 = D-Link Air DWL-520 Wireless PCI Adapter(rev.D)

This is just an idea only. Sorry if i wasted your time.I am just sharing my thoughts and hope if anyone can make use of this in any other way.

This is like a wishlist with super generics in reference drivers.
We've seen that generics and super generics can cause trouble, and we may never find out what we could use for real reference driver.

What did you use to collect the HWIDS?
We have two tools, and neither are perfect.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Hi Jaak,

Sorry.. If i never explain properly. Let's consider below example. If you take Intel Wireless chips, below were the only available chips.

* Intel® Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN
    * Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
    * Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
    * Intel® PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection
    * Intel® PRO/Wireless 2100 Network Connection

In any brand laptop, the drivers provided by Intel will work. Even if there is a special feature means's it will still require a software to work. So i guess the drivers are specific and it can not be generic. What i intend to emphasize is that we only have 5 folder which will support all Intel adapters.

This is not the case with the rest. For example Atheros sells their wifi processor / chips  to Dlink or Linksys and the integrators rebrand it. But the drivers provided by Atheros to both parties are same except different subsystem ids. (Please note i am not taking about merging all drivers in 1 folder, where as i am suggesting as listed in http://www.broadcom.com/support/etherne … rivers.php. the download is classified based on the manufacturer's category and chipset model.

I do agree it will not work for laptop keyboards and touch pads but not for others like sound, wilreless, chipset, graphics & lan

Do you think its possible?

By the way i downloaded a spotlight utility from below link and scan to thru all the inf files.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/maga … 60991.aspx

Regards
Hari

Hi
spotlight05... on the WLAN pack. Look closely and see it misses a few broadcoms.

prove it to yourself, download a couple recent broadcom drivers, and then scan them.
(by the way, I use a dragdrop version of the cmd script. As a fallback I also used a SED script (which is what we developed first.))

http://users.telenet.be/jtdoom/spotligh … scanner.7z

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Sorry for the delay. The download link is not valid.. Can you provide me any alternate link? So can i consider that the classification based on the manufacturer's category and chipset model may not work?

Regards
Hari

Someone pleas close this topic.

link fixed

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Your Idea is sound but is not as easy to make work as it is to describe. wink

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Thank for fixing the link Jaak. I totally agree with you and Overflow... Let's how it goes.