Topic: Universal VESA/VBE Video Display Driver

Dunno if someone already reported it, but the following project (and not just it, to be honest) sounds really interesting:

VBEMP x86 Project Universal VESA/VBE Video Display Driver (for Windows 9x x86 Architecture)

Key features :

* The main IDEA of the project was taken from standard XP/2003 VGA.SYS display driver with generic VESA BIOS Extensions (VBE) 1.02/2.00/3.00+ support.
    * VBEMP.DRV is a standard Windows 9xâ„¢ Video Display Driver.
    * It supports ALL of MS Windows 9xâ„¢ Family (Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 98SE, Windows Me)
    * For proper operation my driver expects that your video card's BIOS is 100%-compatible with VESA Video BIOS extensions specification. Nowdays there are many video cards that doesn't fully supports INT10 interface, which is provided by VESA/VBE standard (See VBE FAQ below for details).
    * Supports VBE 2.00+ compliant PCI/AGP/PCI-E video cards with linear frame buffer.
    * 256color(8bit), 16bit, 24bit, 32bit true color modes support.
    * 320x200, 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024 if this resolution is supported by your video card's BIOS. *

* But I have also made a "Manual" version of the driver. It requires making of a mode list for your particular card using INFOVBE.EXE tool. You must run it from MS-DOS (Real Mode).

Planned features :

* VESA 3.0 support (switching refresh rates)
    * Power Management (APM)
    * Write Combining (USWC)
    * VESA 3.0 support (switching refresh rates)
    * Feature to install the driver without reboot
    * VBE 1.02 Support (Banked FB > 64Kb)
    * DirectDraw Support
    * Hardware/Software Direct3D Support
    * Hardware Video Overlay Support
    * More than one device for output (display, video out device)
    * 2-bit (mono) and 4-bit (16 colors) support for testing purposes only
    * Old adapters support like EGA, CGA, Hercules etc. for testing purposes only smile

...it would be great to have something similar but open source and in SNAP feel.

Or it could be assumed as a "Graphic Driverpack for 9x" (...a possible initial milestone for 9x driverpacks...) !!!

BTW, Feedback needed !!!

Last but not least, i believe that both DP and that projects (as many many other) needs a more common feedback system, such as an online driver (and/or HW) compatibility database...

Last edited by forart.it (2008-01-08 20:20:06)

Marco Ravich
--
>>Forward Agency
In progress we (always) trust.

Re: Universal VESA/VBE Video Display Driver

Hi, Faik, EGA and CGA are supported in BIOS, and XP/NT5x TXTmode still supports 460 by 600 as lowest resolution during TxTmode.

600 by 800 is lowest in VGA in XP.
VESA supports enhanced EGA/VGA/SVGA at 600/800 to 728/1024 in win3.1?

If I am wrong about TxTmode lowest, shoot.

(edit; I am not sure mobile BIOS do CGA.. Modern systems could all be minimum EGA/VGA at BIOS level. But VESA was  already supporting SVGA.. with EGA as a common in BIOS..)

QUIZ..
Cga is ? bit
Ega is ? bit
VGa is ? bit
SVGA is ? bit?
what is true 32 bit?
and what cards use 64 bit?

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

I don't think adding Windows 98 drivers to a Windows XP cd is a good idea. However adding the VBEMP x86 Project Universal VESA/VBE Video Display Driver to graphics pack C would be good for some really old video cards which don't have any working XP drivers. I have installed these drivers for a S3 Trio 3D card (r362) to get video card memory working. It really makes a difference using this driver in stead of the safemode Windows XP driver for 2D office use.

Last edited by Acheron (2008-02-23 10:46:59)

Jaak wrote:

600 by 800 is lowest in VGA in XP.

I think it's even 640*480 if you only got the default VGA drivers installed.

If I don't enable the option to use 800*600 as a default res in nLite, when installing to a VM with no VM additions included, it will be set to that res and ask to be switched to at least 800*600 because that is the minimal resultion needed by XP to display all GUI entries properly (otherwise, some ok buttons and the like will get cut off and you will have to move the window to see/reach them or guesstimate by tabbing through).

Just FYI, anyhow. :>

Helmi, do we want this VBEMP driver?

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

From what I gathered, I doubt it would be of any use, as it is for Win 9x.

What would be the point of including a single 9x driver on an NT CD?
The primary use of the DriverPacks is to slipstream them into a source, not to provide a universal driver resource database.

As for the NT version of said driver (I am posting replies to both because I can't make out which one you were referring to. Please ignore the answer that does not apply wink), it certainly does sound nice.
The question is just how compatible is it?
Since it replaces a Windows system file, we need 100% compatibility and it has to be transparent for the user.

The size is pretty small, so that's certainly not deterring.

I think it would require some extensive testing on our part just to make sure there aren't any issues (although I do believe the team working on this did they very best in any case).
Also, the replacement of the file is not a default action by the BASE so we'd need a specific update just for that (shouldn't be too hard to implement but I don't code it...).
If it was to be replaced by the Finisher we'd probably have to get around SFC - which in turn requires an altered system file to make it work (I think we discussed this before).

That again raises the question whether it is really worth it.
The amount of PCs still running such an old card while at the same time providing the hardware to meet requirements on Win 2k and above is probably very small.
Even if no 3D support was required, most folks would utilize a motherboard with on-board graphics for the task rather than digging up a totally outdated PCI (or rather ISA) GFX card for display output, I figure.
At least that would be more efficient power-wise (not using a discreet GFX card as well as using a mobo that doesn't use much power, which usually come in the on.board GFX shape).

OTOH, even if there was a mere .1 per cent of the user base employing a specific HW we'd still add the drivers if it fit one of the DP categories and was available as a mass product, I gather.

I do think, though, that because of the nature of this driver, being a replacement for a file delivered with the RTM version of Windows, it would be better to make it into an addon that you could slipstream to your source using nLite or RVM's integrator.
This is how I do it with other system file replacements, and it works great.

Also, this file does not need to have any exceptions applied to it, as it won't be used unless you have a GFX card that needs it, if I'm not mistaken.
So, if you wanted it, you can replace and still have a Universal Windows Disc that can be installed on any system.

What do you think about that approach?