Topic: nLite then DP?

New to slipstreaming. I think I have everything gathered and am ready to attempt a slipstreamed CD for my Dell 4600 system. I would appreciate any advice or suggestions as to whether I am following the right procedure.

1,) Slipstream my Dell WinXP SP1 CD with Win XP SP2 Network download and include the RyanVm Post-SP2 Update Pack using latest nLite version.
2.) Use DP BASE to add the driverpacks I need following the tutorial instructions.

Three questions:
First, after DP BASE slipstreaming is completed I assume all the files are now included in the Platform Directory folder I selected earlier, is this correct? I'm not clear on what type of output results from using DP BASE.
Second, at this point I should be ready to burn to a bootable CD-RW, is this correct?
Third, is there any benefit to making an ISO image of the completed slipstream and if so would I use nLite again for that purpose?

This all seems a bit overwhelming to me but there is a lot of documentation on doing this so as long as I follow the right sequence I'm hoping it will turn out successfully! Other then the Update pack and the Driverpacks I'm only trying to combine my Dell Win XP SP1 CD and the SP2 update.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Re: nLite then DP?

1 you can use rvm to integrate sp2 (look at the file menu)
2 driverpacks is the last step always. then burn.
3 all the files are at the location you selected - in the OEM and $OEM$ folders.
4 an ISO is nice for testing in a virtual machine.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

I, personally, slipstream SP2 via nLite first.

Then I use Boooggy's WMP 11 Slipstreamer to add in Windows Media Player 11 and a few hotfixes for it.

Next I use nLite to patch windows with the available/compatible hotfixes.  Alternatively, I have used RVM Integrator for the patches in the RVM Update Pack.  I find that RyanVM isn't always as up-to-date as I need, so I built up the library of hotfixes on my own.

Next step is the RVM Addon packs.  Again, I use nLite to add them in but it's probably smarter to use the RVM Integrator.

Then I use DriverPacks.  Method 2, Quick Stream Cache enabled.

Finally I use nLite one last time to create a bootable ISO (which I burn after testing).  Although I have used Nero once...

One thing that I always have to do before burning is that I have to extract the contents of the bin and the finisher archive manually to $OEM$\$1.  I don't know if the DriverPacks base is supposed to do that at all, but it never has for me.  I then have to add in a record for RunOnceGUI/RunOnceEx for a cleanup command file that goes in after DriverPacks runs and deletes all of the files I had to add to $OEM$.  This cleanup command file is just a personal preference - not necessary.  However you may experience some missing file errors if you don't handle the larger issue at hand.

So to answer question 1, the short answer is "no".  You can't assume that all of the files are there.  You probably need to extract the finisher archive to the system in some way.  Some people extract it at windows install runtime, others extract it into the preinstall folders (like I do).  Which leads you to question 2, "no" again.  You can make a bootable CD but it won't work without those finisher files.

I'm going to qualify my answers for your first two questions by saying that I haven't kept up with the DriverPacks base version.  If a new one was released they might have made an answer to that "problem".

As for your third question, I do like to test out my disk on a virtual machine first, but in some cases it ends up taking WAY too long (I usually add in the Windows Post Install just before DriverPacks).  So while it's nice, in some cases it can be impractical.

Last edited by TigerC10 (2007-12-04 03:56:22)

~TigerC10~

@tiger stop misleading people

the finisher files are extracted at the same time the drivers are unpacked. (during the WinPE segment and before setup.exe is called.) if your drivers get unpacked then your finisher files should be unpacked too. (If not see me! because you have changed something - you are the only one who has this issue) please stop telling people to do things manually. that just make things worse. the problem only exists for you PERIOD. i will be glad to help you figure out how you are breaking the process. but not here start your own thread and i'll help you - gladly. and post your dp DPs_BASE.log and DPs_BASE.ini and PRESETUP.CMD from your i386 folder

@hicountryrider
yes you can assume all the files are there if you follow the tutorial in my sig. it works flawlessly (ignore tiger)

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

OverFlow wrote:

the finisher files are extracted at the same time the drivers are unpacked. (during the WinPE segment and before setup.exe is called.) if your drivers get unpacked then your finisher files should be unpacked too. (If not see me! because you have changed something - you are the only one who has this issue) please stop telling people to do things manually. that just make things worse. the problem only exists for you PERIOD. i will be glad to help you figure out how you are breaking the process. but not here start your own thread and i'll help you - gladly. and post your dp DPs_BASE.log and DPs_BASE.ini and PRESETUP.CMD from your i386 folder

@hicountryrider
yes you can assume all the files are there if you follow the tutorial in my sig. it works flawlessly (ignore tiger)

Thanks for the information. I will study the tutorial. Another question: since I haven't done this before, is the bootable ISO image what I would use to re-install the OS? Will it function just as a normal Win XP install disk? Sorry if this seems obvious but as stated before I'm new to this process.

OverFlow wrote:

My bad.  tongue  It's just something that happens with me, and I've seen others with the same problem.

If it works without doing what I said then you're gold - but if it does complain of missing files we may need to do something to the base...

~TigerC10~

its all good !