Topic: ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 on Acer 5100-3372

Hi all big_smile
I was recently referred here by an associate of mine who built a custom windows install for me. I had Vista home premium pre-installed but like most wanted XP back. So now, after three installs, still find myself with the same problems; constant system crashes/hangs/screen blackouts etc...
Now the symptoms are (seemingly sporadically) during use, the machine becomes unresponsive and after about 6-10 seconds the screen flashes black a couple of times then redraws itself  incorrectly (sometimes correctly) or doesn't come back on at all. I've reflashed my BIOS with the newest for my machine, updated with the "newest" drivers from Acer but they locked my screen in VGA mode and crashed my machine when I tried to change the settings. I've been in touch with the person about the problem and found out that he used driver packs bundled with the install. I'm just anxious to get this resolved so I can continue with my 3D work.

Last edited by Darth Omnious (2007-08-13 03:40:36)

Re: ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 on Acer 5100-3372

The latest drivers from Acer will probabaly be about half a year old if not more.

As a quick interim fix, you could try disabling (or enabling if it already is...) ATi's VPU Recover as found in the CCC.
Also, this could be due to the automatic clock speed adaption on mobile systems. You may want to disable that for a test, too (which will mean the system will draw more power when idle because the GPU does not clock down, though).