Topic: Dell C840 w/ Geforce4 440 Go + DP Graphics A v7.06

<lurk off>

Sorry if this has been posted before but search seems to be broken here.

Been banging my head against the wall about this for about a week thinking I was removing something I shouldn't from my XP CD since this had worked fine last month with previous versions of DP Graphics A.

Windows install is stalling at the 36min remaining mark. Of course finishes when I reboot but I have no video driver. Once logged into windows I am getting prompted for video drivers which have long since been erased by DP's finisher process.

So, I went to manual finisher to make sure the  DP's D folder structure would be there. As before setup stalls, reboot to finish setup, and then log into windows. Video detects and I point windows it to "C:\D\G\N\1" when prompted, everything loads up to "nvcodins.dll" & hangs there.

HWID is "VEN_10DE&DEV_1074" and is listed if nv4_go.inf.

Windows XP SP2
Processed with nLite 1.35 then DPBase 7.05.2

Suggestions?

Re: Dell C840 w/ Geforce4 440 Go + DP Graphics A v7.06

Hi
Welcome to DriverPacks.

I saw your report on search function. Yesterday I experienced some glitches as well, so the site owner should look at it.

Anyway.
There is a very recent test version for Graphics A and B, which you can try.
(you could perhaps wait an hour or so, tho. A Link update could happen in that topic.)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

I'm going to look into this but I'm not sure who's at fault.  nVidia's website and drivers are a real pain to work with and confusing as h*ll!  So much for a 'unified' driver package! sad
And the nv4_go.inf file is not perfect either. sad

There are two test driverpacks in the other thread.  The latest 7.07test1 is ATI only, so don't grab that one.  The other 7.06test4 is the one you should try if you haven't already.  I'm going to update the 7.07test DP to #2 to include the nVidia drivers in the next day or so.

http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic. … 42&p=1

Last edited by mr_smartepants (2007-07-26 19:37:40)

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

Hehe, NV's stance on mobile support is worse than ATI's!

Will try the test pack after I make sure the *really old* official Dell version works OK.

Wish I could remember what the driverpacks version was I used in June was since initial tests then loaded everything for the C840 short of the modem "VEN_8086&DEV_2486".

Thanks for the quick response, keep up the great work guys!

Both G_A and G_B 7.07test2 DriverPacks are being uploaded now.  Connection is really slow so I might have to try again tomorrow.
The general consensus on other websites is that the nvidia 94.24 drivers are buggy and can't be used by some systems.  Since it's a WHQL release, we're sticking with it.  However, If it proves to be a serious problem for some, we may have to revert to the earlier drivers from G_A 7.03.

G_A 706test4 failed at the same point, have not seen 707test2 but have little faith in the newer NVidia drivers support for aging Geforce 4x0 Go cards.

Was reading around and discovered the dell released v84.69 which installed w/ no problems.

Can I disable G_A's support for my card and go 3rd party with 84.69, or can I replace d\g\n\1 with 84.69? I only care about supporting Dell's Nvidia's up to this version based on the hardware I use. I don't want to drop G_A completely since I also have a system with a Radeon x850XT.

Is there a chance you guys could split Nvidia support further and move what HWIDS need 80's series to a separate folder since it looks like the 90's series is no good for older cards?

Thanks again!

t3chnomanc3r wrote:

G_A 706test4 failed at the same point, have not seen 707test2 but have little faith in the newer NVidia drivers support for aging Geforce 4x0 Go cards.

Was reading around and discovered the dell released v84.69 which installed w/ no problems.

Can I disable G_A's support for my card and go 3rd party with 84.69, or can I replace d\g\n\1 with 84.69? I only care about supporting Dell's Nvidia's up to this version based on the hardware I use. I don't want to drop G_A completely since I also have a system with a Radeon x850XT.

Is there a chance you guys could split Nvidia support further and move what HWIDS need 80's series to a separate folder since it looks like the 90's series is no good for older cards?

To be blunt, I have no faith in nvidia's drivers either. hmm
Sure, you can rip your HWIDs out of the .inf file in G\N\1\ and make your own unique folder with the decompressed drivers you need.

Splitting the DriverPacks...That decision I'll leave up to our more senior leaders.  I can see your point.  I've done something similar with the ATI drivers since ATI themselves point to older drivers for their older cards even though we had the older HWIDs in with the newer drivers (no more).