Re: DPsFnshr.exe cannot find settings file!

Ok that makes a whole lot clear. I don't need the finisher because my driver CD is for a specific range of system.

OverFlow, my goal is to install all missing drivers for an existing system, fully automated. Just insert the disk, click Yes and then it should install all necessary drivers. You describe that user interaction is needed, to click through the New Hardware Found wizard. Can this be automated?

Very good Jig - now you 'get it'

1. As far as i know there is no "unknown device remover"
(for devices found and then added to device manager with no driver)
2. Nor do I know of anyway of starting "search for new hardware wizard" from a Batch.
(for after they are removed)
Im sure the first one could be coded... but using a program to automaticaly regedit is risky
the second one i'm sure is easy.

question? if you install with driverpacks then this is not an issue. if these are preexisting systems then the OEM should have provided those. so how is it that you have a machine with so many unknown devices? (what in the world are you doing - and why are you doing it the hard way)

to answer your question NO this cannot be done with existing tools.
On the other hand no one has ever asked and i cant think of any valid reason to do it.

I would like to point out here that IF you were to use a variation of Jaaks idea (Jeff-modded) 

- do.cmd - run this command before removing drivers

SET TAGFILE=\OEM\BIN\un7zip.exe
FOR %%i IN (C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y) DO IF EXIST "%%i:%TAGFILE%" SET CDDRIVE=%%i:

rem copy %CDDRIVE%\$OEM$\$1 %SystemDrive%
%SystemDrive%\makePNF.exe "%CDDRIVE%\$OEM$\$1\D"
%SystemDrive%\DevPath.exe  "%CDDRIVE%\$OEM$\$1\D"

2. remove all the devices without drivers from device manager
(and the ONLY way i would remove devices IS manually)

3. Reg Key - for running finisher on next reboot.

REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\999 /V 1 /D "%SystemDrive%\DPsFnshr.exe"

4. reboot 
  note - A reboot may not be required but I think it's a good idea. i have not tested this but i belive it will find the new hardware assign drivers and then "finish" them

@Tiger Read Post 16 Again
The question you asked is answered there...
Please take the time to read through the forum before asking
And try working with the base as intended for a while Tutorial!
After you are at least a little familiar with the way it normaly works,
then if you wish to experiment...

Last edited by OverFlow (2007-07-21 09:59:43)

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

My goal is to separate Windows XP from the drivers in my install procedure. You see, hardware changes quickly, old systems are not available anymore and new ones take their place. This means that if drivers would be bundled with Windows XP, this one CD would need to be updated very often and only for the drivers. Therefore, I want the drivers separated from the Windows XP CD so the base, Windows XP, never gets updated and only the driver CD is to be updated when a new hardware configuration is chosen.

This splits up the install procedure, first install Windows XP using CD 1, then update the system using the latest driver CD, CD 2. And all of this as automated as possible.

Now regarding your first point, devices can be easily uninstalled or disabled using devcon. If you place the correct drivers on the system and register the path in DevicePath, does a devcon rescan result in Windows finding the drivers and then using the drivers from the path in DevicePath?

Last edited by Jig (2007-07-20 18:54:33)

nope it doesn't

I make a new DVD everytime Ryan VM comes out with a new update (say monthly)
so seemingly your method is not valid because not only do the drivers get updated quite frequently but so do the MS patches. So these install disks, do in fact, have a very short life.

I would make your new install disks as needed. Then you can slipstream all the latest microsoft patches for windows and office, and have all the latest drivers too. It costs ten cents to burn a disk and takes about 20 minutes. why take a process that is in place and working in a world class fashion and try and break it?

With your method it would be neccesary to watch the machine and manualy switch CD's.
The way the rest of us do it this becomes a totaly unattended process, and isn't that the goal?

Last edited by OverFlow (2007-07-21 10:08:16)

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

In my situation it is impossible to update Windows in anyway. The installed systems are not to be connected to the internet. The Windows XP disk stays as it is for at least a year or so, we cannot update that disk every month. It would mean that the already installed systems would need to be brought up to date manually. Updating the drivers is already a pain in the ass, resulting in the driver cd.

I have to admit, I am totally with OverFlow on this one.
Create your new disc when you need it, and include all the stuff up-to-date on that day.

MS patches aren't realeased more frequently than monthly (which is a good pace to create new discs, also, using re-writable media you save a lot of money anyway) and mostly (unless there's a serious bug) DriverPacks are updated in the same way.

Jig wrote:

In my situation it is impossible to update Windows in anyway. The installed systems are not to be connected to the internet.

Does that equal that (security) patches from MS are not to be applied, too?
Of course, the internet security ones are probabaly not required in this case, however, there are some related to LANs and productivity and you may want to get these, internet access or not.

The Windows XP disk stays as it is for at least a year or so, we cannot update that disk every month.

Why not?
Simple question, really.
Just keep a copy of the disc's content on your HDD and work from that.
I certainly am not going to pull out my XP disc each time I am going to create a new one.
Takes way too long to copy the files and is inconvenient.
That way, you can keep the disc in the safe (or wherever) and it won't get scratched.

It would mean that the already installed systems would need to be brought up to date manually.

Why is that?
You said they don't have inet access.
Are you hence using WSUS for the task?
If not, it's certainly a matter of doing it manually or not doing it at all.

Updating the drivers is already a pain in the ass, resulting in the driver cd.

I may be getting this totally wrong but let me give you this old admin saying:
"Never change a running system!"
Why bother with driver updates at all when the machines are up and running?

Granted, I do update my GFX drivers every so often, but purely because of gaming.
If it weren't for that (and I take it yours are office machines?), I wouldn't update any drivers as long as all devices are running satisfactory.
Only if the machine had to e reinstalled I'd use a disc with updated drivers (although that may break some stuff that worked before hmm)

We're talking about an international install base here. I can't have different installs in different countries, one having the latest Windows updates while the other doesn't. And refreshing the Windows install CD would cost a lot of time and money and would result in multiple versions of install CD's floating around.

The only thing that MUST be updated are the drivers because a new system will have to be chosen every 3 months so separating that would be ideal.

Jig wrote:

We're talking about an international install base here. I can't have different installs in different countries, one having the latest Windows updates while the other doesn't. And refreshing the Windows install CD would cost a lot of time and money and would result in multiple versions of install CD's floating around.

Hmm, I can see your point.
You may thank MS for not properly implementing true multi-language support.

I've heared it works well with Vista, though, finally patches and updated are language-independant.
You can also add different installation languages to your DVD and select those on install.
Apparently, all quite convenient, but unfortunately, it won't help you much in your current situation, I wager... hmm

The only thing that MUST be updated are the drivers because a new system will have to be chosen every 3 months so separating that would be ideal.

Well, if this helps you any, you will not have to create a brand-new source each time.
If you slipstream the DriverPacks into an already existing source (in which you already integrated the DriverPacks), it will detect them, restore any previous changes and reapply from start.

As well as new.

While it is generally not recommended to reuse a source, I don't see a problem with it in this case and as long as you aren't trouble-shooting you should be fine.
As you cannot and will not be touching it (again) with nLite, this is also one issue less to worry about.

And, frankly, just slipstreaming the drivers and creating a new ISO is about 10min work on a modern system.
Add some 5min burning with a common burner and those 15min of work each quarter doesn't look too bad, now does it?

@ Helmi - Thanks for the assist i have trouble wording things eloquently.

Helmi wrote:

Well, if this helps you any, you will not have to create a brand-new source each time.
If you slipstream the DriverPacks into an already existing source (in which you already integrated the DriverPacks), it will detect them, restore any previous changes and reapply from start.

As well as new.

While it is generally not recommended to reuse a source, I don't see a problem with it in this case and as long as you aren't trouble-shooting you should be fine.
As you cannot and will not be touching it (again) with nLite, this is also one issue less to worry about.

And, frankly, just slipstreaming the drivers and creating a new ISO is about 10min work on a modern system.
Add some 5min burning with a common burner and those 15min of work each quarter doesn't look too bad, now does it?

I agree if the only change you make to the OS install CD is the drivers themselfs haveing an old copy running around won't hurt. Worst case is they wish to install on a brand new system and need the latest disk. assumably if this system is new the config guy can get a latest version. Plus, if you shop wisely then the hardware will not change that quickly.

Last edited by OverFlow (2007-07-21 10:25:10)

That would still mean the base Windows XP CD, including lots of OEM stuff, has to be updated and refreshed. It's preferable to have a base Windows XP CD that can always be used and is never updated, and a driver CD that can be updated.

Anyway, you guys get my point? Is it doable by any means to make a fully automated driver cd?

NO it is preferable to have one CD that can be used in any system (OEM CD with only driverpacks added in your case)
furthermore some drivers require patches and we check for such things when we slipstream so you don't get hosed.
like the HDA update.
EVEN IF you have to create one per language.

an additional pickup here is not needing a "F6" floppy for the install.

Please check out RIS and DFS if you are worried about dated installs. on this forum there is a good thread on sysprep that gets into part of RIS. I cant remember the last time I visited a Server/client system to reinstall it i do that remotely from home. Helmi's WSUS Idea is outstanding! you can release only the updates you wish to all clients. (you set all the machines to use your server instead of MS Updates - great for no internet environments)

if you used driverpacks today you wouldn't have to update again until current hardware becomes obsolete
IE you will still be able to buy a similar system to the one you buy now, one year from now.
(so now were talking about a 15 minute update per language once a year[or mabey even just one!]).

What you want is kind of like hitting the brakes after the accident. opening your chute - after impact!
or
rather than create a big mess, and then have to clean it up, lets just not make a mess?

I would also like to point out ALL of us have said "These instructions assume you have started with a DriverPacks slipstreamed source." which you seem to indicate you haven't. This invalidates all our suggestions and probably will not give the expected results except for my 'two step' Drivers Only CD above.

The feedback of admins with many systems to maintain and years of work from several excellent people have culminated in this process and much goes on behind the scenes to avoid thousands of known issues. It works like a charm right out of the box sir!... I currently use this for dozens of companies some with 50 or more locations.

Try It! ... You'll Like it!  (and you will never look back)

Last edited by OverFlow (2007-07-21 12:16:56)

Just a quick reply, don't have much time atm. Our clients are specific hospital pc's which are neither connected to the internet, nor the hospital network and they are all English.

Jig wrote:

That would still mean the base Windows XP CD, including lots of OEM stuff, has to be updated and refreshed.

No.

Seriously, just create a CD/DVD (including alll your OEM stuff and the DriverPacks) now, if you haven't already.

Then, when you need new drivers, use that disc (or the folder you used for your source if you didn't delete it after ISO creation) and simply slipstream the DriverPacks into it again, just as if you had not done that before.
It will detect and remove the old ones, replacing them with the updated driver files.

As DriverPacks slipstreaming is the last step before ISO creation, none of your OEM settings will be touched and don't have to, either.
Just create a new ISO, re-use the old disc (if RW) and there you go.

Whether you use OEM stuff or not is not relevant in this case (unless I am missing something).

Now, I know I am sounding a bit penetrant and I certainly don't want to talk you into something you do not want.
However, I want to make sure you realize this before clinching on solutions in search of a problem.
IMO, all that efford is not needed if you follow my simple and time-saving steps.

Now, I certainly do not know how it is handled at your work and your boss may require certain protocols and whatnot, so please excuse if I'm omitting that.

This is just a "here's how I would do it" advise smile

clarifiying for helmi

Jig you stated:  all english, one updated, one not.

copy your entire OEM install CD (the one you currently install from) to your HDD (say C:\DP-temp\)
copy your entire updated OEM install CD (the one you currently install from) to your HDD (say C:\DP-temp-U\)

Run the DP_Base program in 'disk' mode with all packs selected, TextMode enabled, KTD disabled, QSC enabled, Method 2. pointing to C:\DP-temp\ as the 'location'. The same for C:\DP-temp-U\.

Then burn a bootable ISO useing the contents of C:\DP-temp\ and one for C:\DP-temp-U\ (easy).

This will not break any existing processes of your original CD -
It simply extends the driver library available to windows setup.
the KEY here is the drivers are available DURING the installation setup (the initial PnP discovery).
and it fits nicely on a 700 meg CD (and since you have no network connections you could skip wireless LAN and free more space.

Here is a GREAT source of reference in case you have not been there you
Will find a great many of your freinds from DriverPacks are in thier forum as well.
http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/

also: a DriverPacks Tutorial http://users.pandora.be/jtdoom/basetute/Eng_tut6b.htm

Last edited by OverFlow (2007-07-22 07:52:02)

Thanks, OverFlow.

I considered this obvious since it's the ususal way on how to apply the DriverPacks, but this should definately deal with any unclear items wink

No sir, thank you!

Thanks for all your comments.

So it seems it's not really doable to create two separate CD's.
For your information, we work with DELL system's which I think require specific DELL drivers, so I am not quite sure if the DriverPacks would work.

Hi Jig,
I work at a hospital too with mostly Dell pc's (few Fujitsu's) - I use the driverpacks to make a universal image that works on them all. I have a few minor issues but mostly works 100%

I'm sure it is "doable" but it would require a system that has not been developed yet.

if you find a system that we dont have a driver included for just as we will gladly add more drivers.