Topic: SOLVED: modifying DriverPacks

Hi All:
When I downloaded the driver packs, I've found that there are many thing I do not need at all,
May I unpack the driver pack and remove what I do not need, then repack it with .7z ?
i.e. for graphic driver pack there are 3 driver packs:
DriverPack Graphics A, DriverPack Graphics B, DriverPack Graphics C.
What I want is DriverPack Graphics A, so I download it, and I'm only need the ATI radeon driver, so I unpack it and browse to it and delete every thing in the driver pack except      A\1 folder,
so now I have :
DP_Graphics_A_wnt5_x86-32_606\D\G\A\1
so now the size is much smaller
now I compress it with 7-zip with the following setting:
http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/9546/untitled0js.jpg
so the result will be a file with the same name and same format, but include only the driver I need, so what I want to know simply is:
What I'm doing is right or wrong?
Do I need to do any thing else or not?
And I want to do the same with every driver pack bcz what is the use to have drivers for hardware I do not have?
Thanks
Mohamed

Last edited by Bâshrat the Sneaky (2006-06-27 22:15:53)

Re: SOLVED: modifying DriverPacks

This is indeed possible wink

Founder of DriverPacks.net — wimleers.com

The only suggestion I would have for you is that if you run into some sort of problem with your modified DriverPack, try again with the real DriverPack to see if you still have the problem before reporting anything as a bug.  Also, if you remove drivers from DP Mass Storage and chose to do a mass storage text mode integration, some things could be seriously thrown off.

Oh yes, forgot to make that remark: DON'T MESS WITH DRIVERPACK MASSSTORAGE! wink Thanks, RogueSpear smile

Founder of DriverPacks.net — wimleers.com

RogueSpear wrote:

The only suggestion I would have for you is that if you run into some sort of problem with your modified DriverPack, try again with the real DriverPack to see if you still have the problem before reporting anything as a bug.  Also, if you remove drivers from DP Mass Storage and chose to do a mass storage text mode integration, some things could be seriously thrown off.

1st of All, I was not reporting any kind of bugs, and I'm sorry if I expressed my self like that
I was asking for experts opinions about what is right and what is wrong

Bâshrat the Sneaky wrote:

Oh yes, forgot to make that remark: DON'T MESS WITH DRIVERPACK MASSSTORAGE

I will not use it at all

Thanks
Mohamed

Last edited by mgadallah (2006-06-14 02:48:15)

mgadallah wrote:

what is the use to have drivers for hardware I do not have?

The point is to have a UWXPCD that could be installed on virtually any system w/o having to worry about the hardware and the drivers.

Obviously, if you are going to create a slipstreamed CD for only one system, you could manually DL and integrate the handful of drivers needed and save a lot of space on the CD.

Helmi wrote:

if you are going to create a slipstreamed CD for only one system, you could manually DL and integrate the handful of drivers needed and save a lot of space on the CD.

That is exactly what I'm talking about
I want to make my own, and when I make it successfully I will share my experiences with others
Thanks again

mgadallah wrote:

1st of All, I was not reporting any kind of bugs, and I'm sorry if I expressed my self like that
I was asking for experts opinions about what is right and what is wrong

I wasn't trying to say that you were reporting a bug in your post.  I was just saying that if you run into some problems to try out the install using the original DriverPacks and see if the problem goes away or not before making a bug report.  I don't think there's any problems with what you want to do or with any questions you've asked, just a little misunderstanding is all.

RogueSpear wrote:

just a little misunderstanding is all.

You do not know how much I respect you,
Really you are a great one doing a great work, I wish if you do not mind to let me add you to my messenger list to talk to you,
in case you agree and do not mind, MSN is - mohamed.g.basheer@hotmail.com -,
Do you remember your post in www.msfn.org that contains a lot of add on and switchless applications
and a link to download .cab or .msi
While I'm very sorry for that you will no longr update it, but I know how much time it takes to keep updating every thing and make add on or test a switch,
for me I've spent two months or more trying to make my unattended cd and still failed to do so, because there are many applications I do not find any switches for them,
Bashrat The Sneaky, RogueSpear ... you are doing a great work,
I wish if you accept any other way for donations beside PayPal because Egypt is not listed,
Thanks a lot for your work, thanks a lot for your time, thanks a lot for your patient to keep listen and help the new beginer,