Topic: [SOLVED]Two questions

I have two maybe stupid questions:
1. Do I need in OEM folder DP MassStorage after I choos DriverPack MassStorage text mode in DP Base?
2. Why the folder is called OEM and not for example DRIVERS or DriverPacks <- I meen shorter name?

Last edited by grzesiek (2007-05-04 22:21:39)

Re: [SOLVED]Two questions

1. If the folder is empty, get rid of it.
2. This is to work with the Windows installer itself.  The installer looks for the $OEM$ folder (and subfolders).  The windows installer doesn't support driverpacks...we just work around it. smile

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

I choosed in DP Base to integrate all DP's and also checked DriverPacks MassStorage text mode option so in OEM folder I have all DP's archives including MassStorage driver pack. So I dont know is this DP is needed even when I checked text mode option.

mr_smartepants wrote:

This is to work with the Windows installer itself.  The installer looks for the $OEM$ folder (and subfolders).  The windows installer doesn't support driverpacks...we just work around it

Yeh I know that but I think would be better to change folder name because there is no need to have almost identical name to $OEM$ folder. So since in this folder are drivers would be better to change name to something I wrote before IMHO.

The folder OEM is deliberately named - It implies that it is to be copied to the windows installation drive.

The same as the $OEM$ folder windows uses, however, we extract the archives from the OEM folder, not copy it, so it is similar yet quite different.  The name OEM is therefore very descriptive and obviously deliberate to an experienced tech.

the mass storage archive also exists in OEM because the text mode versions of drivers are often very limited and are designed to be used only for partitioning and copying (as the name implies during text mode portion of set up only) and are usually not the full drivers that are actually used when plug and play loads for the windows OS.

The mass storage drivers in the OEM folder are the complete driver installations that windows requires to operate at full efficiency.

The only stupid question is the one never asked!

Last edited by OverFlow (2007-05-05 04:47:06)

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

OK, now everything is clear. Thanks for your answers.