Topic: Driverpack slipstreaming differences?

I have been using Method 2 to install drivers up to now. this has achieved my objective and I have backed up the D directory that is put on the hardisk to a dvd for later use on other systems that may need drivers or driver  updates

I have put ALL the driverpacks on the install cd (prior to the latest dp releases as of 16 April) and it works flawlessly - adds about 10 mins to install process - just enough disk space!

If I use method 1 -

A) Will the installation copy the dp`s to the d folder and search from there? OR-

B) Will the installation just scan the $OEM$\$1\ on the cd/dvd for the drivers it needs?

I know this is explaned in the s\s methods window but the mechanics of the two different methods is unclear to me.

Re: Driverpack slipstreaming differences?

method one uses cab compression and is about 500 meg on the disk it also uses an oempnppath statment to point to the drivers.
the path statment with the full set of packs exceeds the 4096 allowed path length and will not make all the drivers available to the install.
so method one is becomeing more and more obsolite as we add more drivers.
(ANSWER TO "A") it does still copy the files to the disk IF KTD is enabled. 
Advantage here is the drivers are available to setup earlier in the install and this might be helpful in very rare cases.

(ANSWER TO "B") Hardware Installation Wizard will scan a cd/dvd for drivers. and find and use the M1 drivers, but M2 drivers are 7-zippped and it won't see them at all.

Method two uses 7-zip compression and has a 300 meg footprint.
the files are extracted to the HDD first and then made avalable to Plug and play by the driverpack finisher.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

@overflow,  Can I get a little more detail on the differences?  I'm going to add this section to our english tutorial.

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

As I have been writing the code for BartPE I have learned a great deal about the workings of the Base.
Bâshrat the Sneaky is still the only one who knows all, and he may have things to add or correct here.  BUT...

The main two differences between M1 and M2 are compression method and availability to setup.

M1
Uses standard windows CAB compression and puts the driver files in the $OEM$\$1\ folder on the installation CD/DVD.
The $OEM$\$1\ folder is copied to the root folder of the drive windows will be installed on by windows Text-Mode setup.
- IE They are copied from the installation media to %SystemRoot%\D  (Usually C:\D\[selected pack contents here] )
The path to every driver folder is then added to WINNT.SIF [unnattended] section OemPnpDriversPath=
This is where you can tell Setup to search driver folders to find a better match than what's in the existing drivers.cab on the Windows CD. If it finds a better match it will install those instead.

cmdlines.txt sets the finisher to run based on user selection GUIRunOnce or RunOnceExe

Disadvantage: The current driverpacks folder structure is over 6000 characters long so only the first 4096 will be used by setup sad 
Advantage:     The drivers are available for the entire GUI portion of setup. smile

I find this personaly useful because I use VMWare and the VMWare sound card emulates a SoundBlaster 128 which is natively supported by windows XP. Useing  M2 The included XP driver will be loaded during setup instead of the one in the pack. The XP SB128 driver fails in VMWare (yellow exclamation point). The DriverPacks include the updated SB128 driver which works wonderfully but only if M1 is used. I use WPI with background music. If I use method two I get no sound when WPI runs and I must go into device manger and update the device manualy. Sometimes when I use M2 I will launch vmware tools installer previous to WPI when i set the runonce entries from txtsetup.cmd (it will not install and exit silently if not in a VMWare shell)

M2
Uses the awesome power of 7-Zip to achive near solid compression of the packs and copy them to a folder named OEM on the CD/DVD. PRESETUP.CMD is called from DOSNET.INF and used to decompress the drivers from the installation media to %SystemRoot%\D  (Usually C:\D\[selected pack contents here] ) then DevPath.exe is used to update the path windows searches to find drivers. (setup is not affected by the 4096 limit now) then GUIRunOnce or RunOnceexe is set with "%SystemDrive%\DPsFnshr.exe"

Both methods
when the first logon occurs the finisher will either;
    Keep The Driver (KTD) and then run DevPath.exe to update the path windows searches to find drivers
    or Delete the files

there is more but that should invite good questions

Last edited by OverFlow (2007-04-22 14:07:27)

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.