Topic: using DP_MassStorage_textmode - yes or no?

I have a question about using the DP_MassStorage_textmode setting.  I will be installing on SATA drives connected to my motherboard's (Asus P5-B) SATA controller.
When I test my install using DP_MassStorage_textmode = "yes"  on a virtual machine it gets stuck right at the end of  textmode portion of setup (Setup is starting Windows...).
With  DP_MassStorage_textmode = "no" the install works fine on a virtual machine. 

However, I am thinking I would need the setting to yes when I do the real install to load the SATA drivers during textmode.  Is this correct? 

I tried to see if my answer is on the wiki but the server is down right now.

Thanks.

Re: using DP_MassStorage_textmode - yes or no?

Hi
which versions of base and DriverPacks are you using?

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Re: using DP_MassStorage_textmode - yes or no?

base is 7.01.6 and i have latest versions of DriverPacks.

Re: using DP_MassStorage_textmode - yes or no?

can you post your base INI and base LOG files?

OH yes, you need textmode for "live" machines.
here is a preview of a tutorial
http://users.pandora.be/jtdoom/basetute/Eng_tut6b.htm

Last edited by jtdoom (2007-03-25 19:00:01)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Re: using DP_MassStorage_textmode - yes or no?

ferny wrote:

When I test my install using DP_MassStorage_textmode = "yes"  on a virtual machine it gets stuck right at the end of  textmode portion of setup (Setup is starting Windows...).
With  DP_MassStorage_textmode = "no" the install works fine on a virtual machine.

That is very unusual, I'd say.
Generally, none of the MS drivers are needed on a VM (which one are you using, btw?), as the drives are emulated on default IDE controllers, for which Win already provides drivers/support out of the box.

You may want to double-check your ISO image for any problems, or maybe even your system's RAM.
I cannot remember any hangs during the textmode phase while testing on my VM, and I do run a lot of tests smile

jtdoom wrote:

OH yes, you need textmode for "live" machines.

Well, only when you do not use an ordinary IDE controller for the boot/install HDD. wink

Since you said it's SATA, yes, you will need the TM drivers.

Re: using DP_MassStorage_textmode - yes or no?

Helmi wrote:

Well, only when you do not use an ordinary IDE controller for the boot/install HDD. wink

Helmi, I've edited the preview of tutorial a bit to make that somewhat more clear.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Re: using DP_MassStorage_textmode - yes or no?

jtdoom wrote:
Helmi wrote:

Well, only when you do not use an ordinary IDE controller for the boot/install HDD. wink

Helmi, I've edited the preview of tutorial a bit to make that somewhat more clear.

I can't believe I missed that.  Good catch Jaak!
Maybe add a reference to the 'old' method of F6 driver usage.
"If you previously had to use the F6/floppy method to load your RAID or controller driver, make sure you select the DP MS "Text-Mode" option."
Sorry for the off-topic post.

Re: using DP_MassStorage_textmode - yes or no?

Hi Erik,
I did that because of this topic, and then went to bed.
There were a few minor other edits as well.
I'll email the file. hehehe, a V7 is in the making.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Re: using DP_MassStorage_textmode - yes or no?

mr_smartepants wrote:

"If you previously had to use the F6/floppy method to load your RAID or controller driver, make sure you select the DP MS "Text-Mode" option."
Sorry for the off-topic post.

This is great and I think it really clears things up.  That's basically what I was asking. 

@ Helmi:
I have used both VirtualPC 2007 and latest version of VirtualBox.  Same problem with both of them.  This is the first time I have encountered this problem and I have done various slipstream/nLited/DriverPack installs before.  It could have something to do with my new motherboard (Asus P5B-Dlx).  Maybe something with AHCI? 

Here is the code for my base.ini:

[General]
; preferred language
prefLang	= "English"
; yes/no, enable or disable the wizard-style buttons, if not specified: yes
wizardButtons	= "yes"
; yes/no, enable or disable the GUI, if not specified: yes
GUI		= "yes"


[Settings]
; disc/bartpe/multibootDisc
instPlatform	= "disc"
; trailing backslash is allowed, but not necessary
location	= "G:\Slipstream\nLited XP\WXPFPP_EN"
; none/all/select, if select, specify them below, if not specified: all
DriverPacks	= "select"
; 1/2, method to install the DriverPacks, if not specified: 2
DPsMethod	= "2"
; GUIRunOnce/RunOnceEx/custom, if not specified: GUIRunOnce
finisherMethod	= "GUIRunOnce"


; this section is optional!
[OptionalSettings]
; none/all/select/paths/patterns, enable or disable Keep The Drivers (KTD) , if not specified: none
KTD		= "false"
; <path>, to specify a custom KTD cache location, if not specified: default (%SystemRoot%\DriverPacks)
KTDlocation	= "%SystemRoot%\DriverPacks"
; yes/no, enable or disable QuickStream Cache (QSC), if not specified: yes
QSC		= "yes"


; you should only add this section if you've set [Settings]\DriverPacks to "select"
[SelectDriverPacks]
DP_Chipset	= "yes"
DP_Graphics_A	= "yes"
DP_LAN		= "yes"
DP_MassStorage	= "yes"
DP_Sound_A	= "yes"
DP_Sound_B	= "yes"
DPs_3rd_party	= "yes"
DP_MassStorage_textmode = "no"


; this section is optional!
[OptionalSettingsOther]
; CCC/CCP, use ATI Catalyst Control Center or ATI Catalyst Control Panel (only relevant when slipstreaming DriverPack Graphics A)
ATI_cpl		= "CCC"

and here is my base.log:

2007-03-24 23:51:27 : <INIT> DriverPacks BASE 7.01.6 initialized.
2007-03-24 23:51:27 : <INIT> Host environment: WIN_XP Service Pack 2 on X86 CPU.
2007-03-24 23:51:27 : <INIT> Created temporary working directory.
2007-03-24 23:51:27 : <INIT> Imported proxy settings from Internet Explorer.
2007-03-24 23:51:27 : <INIT> Start scanning for DriverPacks for the wnt5_x86-32 platform.
2007-03-24 23:51:27 : <INIT> 	Detected DriverPack Chipset 6.12!
2007-03-24 23:51:27 : <INIT> 	Detected DriverPack Graphics A 7.01!
2007-03-24 23:51:27 : <INIT> 	Detected DriverPack LAN 7.01!
2007-03-24 23:51:27 : <INIT> 	Detected DriverPack MassStorage 7.01.1!
2007-03-24 23:51:27 : <INIT> 	Detected DriverPack Sound A 7.01!
2007-03-24 23:51:27 : <INIT> 	Detected DriverPack Sound B 6.12!
2007-03-24 23:51:27 : <INIT> 	Detected 3rd party DriverPack(s).
2007-03-24 23:51:27 : <INIT> 	Finished scanning.
2007-03-24 23:51:27 : <INIT> Detected settings file "G:\Slipstream\nLited XP\WXPFPP_EN\DPs_BASE.ini".
2007-03-24 23:51:27 : <INIT> Windows XP Professional -  Retail SP2 detected.
2007-03-24 23:51:27 : <INIT> The platform wnt5_x86-32_disc will be used (which is the 'disc' installation platform for the OS family 'wnt5_x86-32').
2007-03-24 23:51:27 : <INIT> Imported settings from settings file.
2007-03-24 23:51:27 : <INIT> QuickStream Cache directory not found!
2007-03-24 23:51:27 : <GUI>  Initialized GUI.
2007-03-24 23:51:27 : <GUI>  Created a list of all available language files.
2007-03-24 23:51:27 : <GUI>  Set the last used language, English, as the GUI language.
2007-03-24 23:52:01 : <GUI>  Closed GUI.
2007-03-24 23:52:01 : <GUI>  Saved settings!
2007-03-24 23:52:02 : <CLNP> Temporary working directory successfully deleted.
2007-03-24 23:52:02 : Program terminated.

Last edited by ferny (2007-03-26 10:26:09)

Re: using DP_MassStorage_textmode - yes or no?

ferny wrote:

@ Helmi:
I have used both VirtualPC 2007 and latest version of VirtualBox.  Same problem with both of them.  This is the first time I have encountered this problem and I have done various slipstream/nLited/DriverPack installs before.  It could have something to do with my new motherboard (Asus P5B-Dlx).  Maybe something with AHCI?

No, the VM is completely (apart from your CPU) independend of you real HW, meaning it will use its own, generic HW, hence it cannot be a compatibility issue with your actual HW.

What you could do, though, is trying to get the disk run in yoru real system.
As you will only be prompted to install after a successfully loaded TM setup, you will not endager your current installation, but you can make sure it will load all TM drivers properly.

Re: using DP_MassStorage_textmode - yes or no?

Agreed.  If you can get through to the Windows setup AND it can 'see' your hard drive (valid destination), then the text-mode drivers loaded correctly.

Re: using DP_MassStorage_textmode - yes or no?

Hi

in NLite, there are two settings wich will kill the process.

UNattended setting > OEM Preinstall >> defaults to enabled, and should be DISABLED
Therefore, check WINNT.SIF
the line has to say this, OemPreinstall=No.
If it says "YES", method 2 textmode is not going to work.

another option in Nlite, will cause DPs_Base to throw error, SETUP.EX_ not found
This is caused by this one
Operating system options > Manual Install and Upgrade
If you remove this, building a method 2 cannot work.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Re: using DP_MassStorage_textmode - yes or no?

jtdoom wrote:

Hi

in NLite, there are two settings wich will kill the process.

UNattended setting > OEM Preinstall >> defaults to enabled, and should be DISABLED
Therefore, check WINNT.SIF
the line has to say this, OemPreinstall=No.
If it says "YES", method 2 textmode is not going to work.

another option in Nlite, will cause DPs_Base to throw error, SETUP.EX_ not found
This is caused by this one
Operating system options > Manual Install and Upgrade
If you remove this, building a method 2 cannot work.

Are yopu sure about both of this?
For #1, I would assume the BASE re-sets the parametre properly (hence, you should always nLite before BASEing).

For #2, I was ripping that part out for a very long time to save valuable space on my CD (have moved to DVD now, if you remember), and seeing as I always used M2, I'm unsure about whether it would really break it.

Things may have changed in the past so I may not be up to date here wink
Anyway, it certainly does not hurt follwing your advice, I'm just uncertain whether it is absolutely vital...

Re: using DP_MassStorage_textmode - yes or no?

Yes I had the OEM Preinstall enabled.  I guess BASE doesn't touch that parameter. 

I am going to make install disks with it enabled and disabled and see if it makes a difference.

Re: using DP_MassStorage_textmode - yes or no?

In one of my trials, I had done the manual upgrade and install removal, and some other things.

I just checked, with only manual upgrade and install removal, and setup.ex_ missing was apparently triggered by another Nlite option. I cannot recall anyone ever reporting this error (save me.. I did mention it in a report on a  nightly.) so I reckon it is very uncommon.
Nevertheless, I will try find back that option that dood it to it.
(like in, "The butler dood it." hehehe)

yes, Base did not alter OEMpreinstall=YES line.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Re: using DP_MassStorage_textmode - yes or no?

another undesirable side effect of OEMPREINSTALL=YES is you cant use hit F6 to supply a driver on a floppy

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Re: using DP_MassStorage_textmode - yes or no?

damn i'm all confused now sad

Re: using DP_MassStorage_textmode - yes or no?

you need not be
just edit winnt.sif, set Oempreinstall=0 and make the ISO to test.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Re: using DP_MassStorage_textmode - yes or no?

Helmi wrote:
jtdoom wrote:

Hi

in NLite, there are two settings wich will kill the process.

UNattended setting > OEM Preinstall >> defaults to enabled, and should be DISABLED
Therefore, check WINNT.SIF
the line has to say this, OemPreinstall=No.
If it says "YES", method 2 textmode is not going to work.

another option in Nlite, will cause DPs_Base to throw error, SETUP.EX_ not found
This is caused by this one
Operating system options > Manual Install and Upgrade
If you remove this, building a method 2 cannot work.

Are yopu sure about both of this?
For #1, I would assume the BASE re-sets the parametre properly (hence, you should always nLite before BASEing).

For #2, I was ripping that part out for a very long time to save valuable space on my CD (have moved to DVD now, if you remember), and seeing as I always used M2, I'm unsure about whether it would really break it.

Things may have changed in the past so I may not be up to date here wink
Anyway, it certainly does not hurt follwing your advice, I'm just uncertain whether it is absolutely vital...

I'm with Helmi on this one.  I have always used nlite to remove the "manual install and upgrade" option to save space and I always use DP_base method 2 and I've never had a problem.  I can understand why some people might have problems since that nlite option removes the capability for the "recovery console" as well as other options that might be needed prior to installing windows.

ferny wrote:

Yes I had the OEM Preinstall enabled.  I guess BASE doesn't touch that parameter. 

I am going to make install disks with it enabled and disabled and see if it makes a difference.

Actually, DP_base sets that parameter if it's not already set.  If the parameter is set already, DP_base will change it depending on your settings.
If I'm wrong, please correct me.
That's one of the reasons it's important to run DP_base last.

Last edited by mr_smartepants (2007-03-27 18:30:21)

Re: using DP_MassStorage_textmode - yes or no?

OverFlow wrote:

another undesirable side effect of OEMPREINSTALL=YES is you cant use hit F6 to supply a driver on a floppy

Which is not really needed anymore thanks to the DriverPacks wink

But yes, that is pretty annoying, still.
I'm not sure whether MS did that on purpose or just thought that if you are going unattended, you wouldn't supply a driver floppy anyway.

Thankfully, they finally realized floppies are so last millenium and offer the option to provide drivers on a CD/DVD/USB stick/HDD with Vista.
You cannot assume how much that pissed me off before I discovered the DriverPacks! >8(

Re: using DP_MassStorage_textmode - yes or no?

hi
I am still trying to nail down what caused setup.ex_ to go awol.
At the moment, I am beginning to think it was not caused by NLite. (because I cannot reproduce this)
I recall I had an issue with mediaplayer, and I used ISR. The ISR base snapshot was old, so I got back to that day's, and then used windows normal "restore" points. (this can make a mess of recently changed folders)

textmode not doing what it was supposed to do, that I could reproduce long ago, and I probably can again.

Last edited by jtdoom (2007-03-27 19:48:07)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Re: using DP_MassStorage_textmode - yes or no?

OverFlow wrote:

another undesirable side effect of OEMPREINSTALL=YES is you cant use hit F6 to supply a driver on a floppy

just put the floppy in without hit F6 , it wil load the driver automaticly.

Re: using DP_MassStorage_textmode - yes or no?

it worked! smile
i even installed in AHCI mode, but i had to load the Intel ACHI drivers from a floppy as they don't load from textmode.  i had them in my 3rd party drivers but i guess that's not enough. 
anyway, back with a fresh install and plenty of pre-installed apps thanks to nLite and Bashrat's DP.  thanks for the help.
lovely smile

Last edited by ferny (2007-03-28 17:33:21)

Re: using DP_MassStorage_textmode - yes or no?

hi
mass storage textmode will not be slipped in from 3rd party.

if you look around in mass storage forum, you can find a test release that should adress intel conflics.

edit; I just read that remark by Mr Smartepants. This is one more VERY GOOD reason to not remove manual install and upgrade.

Last edited by jtdoom (2007-03-28 17:53:39)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Re: using DP_MassStorage_textmode - yes or no?

i am not familiar with the "manual install & upgrade" option in nLite but my install worked so i will keep doing what i am doing.