Topic: [NEEDSREPLY] duplicate boot.ini entries

Not a big issue but I get duplicate OS entries in my boot.ini file after installing with disk integrated with driverpacks. So it look like a dual boot system. I can just manually edit this out but I am making this for my work and I want it as hands off as possible. Does anyone know where this is getting inserted?

Also I am trying to get driverpacks and WPI to play nice but they always run on top of each other during RunOnceEx
WPI is set to 999 and Driver packs to 930. WPI always pops up over driverpacks while it is still runnning. I don't want to run driverpacks finisher from within WPI as I would like all the drivers installed first.

My cmdlines.txt:
[Commands]
"ROE.exe 930"
Royale.exe
RunWPI.cmd

OH, this is using a Dell OEM XP Pro SP2 unattended cd with the cd key stripped out so it will prompt for it.

I have already used driverpacks at previous employment but with older version and with XP Pro corp. WPI is new to me.

Bashrat, Thank you for creating this hugely time conserving project!

Re: [NEEDSREPLY] duplicate boot.ini entries

My cmdlines.txt:
[Commands]
"ROE.exe 930"
"Royale.exe"
"RunWPI.cmd"

you forgot the ""

Not really, I tried it both ways, seems to make no difference.

mrreload, all drivers already have been installed by the time the Finisher runs wink It's just the installation of control panels and some work-arounds that it handles! wink

About your boot.ini issues: are you using a Athlon64 X2 CPU? In that case pmtimer.exe gets executed, which will edit your boot.ini, but it should not leave duplicate entries...

Founder of DriverPacks.net — wimleers.com

re: dual boot oddity

I've heard of a similar error (but not driverpack related) that occurs if the install is preformed with the "quick NTFS format" option... 
I'm pretty sure I read about it on a MS KB article.  Something about the first sectors on HDD not being overwriten, rather amended...
then again I could be talking rubbish...

Last edited by willko (2007-01-26 05:30:15)

I have yet to figure this one out. I have tried long and quick format, Intel or Athlon, makes no difference.
It's really rather an annoyance.

If a partition is not deleted that contained an NT OS then the boot.ini could be appended.
Please verify that your install deletes existing partiton information from the disk then repartitions and reformats (quick is fine).
Are there other windows installations present in the machine? Are you useing the built in partitioning / formating from the windows install?

for wpi i use this combo and dont have issues with the two running together.

use rvm to Update source
nlite make all changes leave open at the create iso screen
Run dpbase with mode 1 & guirunonce

you might do some editing so it looks similar to this.

CMDLines.txt

[COMMANDS]
"regedit /s theme.reg"
Runonceex.cmd
"rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSectionEx nLite.inf,U,,4,N"

Runonceex.cmd

@ECHO OFF

for /f "delims=: tokens=1" %%i in ("%~dp0") do set drive=%%i:
set wpipath=%drive%\wpi

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY%\999 /V 1 /D "%SystemDrive%\DPsFnshr.exe"
REG ADD %KEY%\999 /V 2 /D "%wpipath%\Install\vmw\VMTools.msi /quiet /norestart"
REG ADD %KEY%\999 /V 3 /D "%wpipath%\WPI.hta" /f

EXIT

As far as the quotes go

My cmdlines.txt:
[Commands]
"ROE.exe 930"
Royale.exe
RunWPI.cmd

They are only needed for long filenames or paths with spaces ect...

hope this helps.... doesnt seem to me to be an issue with driverpacks? do you still get the dupes with no DP applied to the build?

Last edited by OverFlow (2007-04-01 18:54:32)

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

I know this post hasn't been looked at for a while but I have had the same problem (again in a work environment where I wanted as little interference to the user as possible) all I did was to create a batch file that ran on first boot (I needed to be logged in as admin on first boot to change the PC name and join to domain anyway) which asked the user/admin (me) if this was a fresh install (i.e. fully formatted hdd with one partition) and replace boot.ini if that was the case. It's a bit of a dirty way of doing things but in the absence of obvious prevention I had to make do with a cure. Hope this helps smile