Topic: Feature Request: "Virtual PCI IDs" for mass storage; 2nd try

Hello  all,

new here - and don't know where and for what exactly to ask ;-)
It's OK, if you move this posting to the correct forum or if you tell me for which topic to search

I have an ASUS EeeBox B202.
With the current Easy&Boot and the newest DriverPacks I installed WinXP_SP2 flawless in IDE mode. But I want SATA.
Should not be a problem:
PCI IDs  ICH7M-Family
27c3     82801GR/GDH (ICH7R/ICH7DH) SATA Controller [RAID mode]   

27c4     82801GBM/GHM (ICH7-M Family) SATA Controller [IDE mode]   
27c5     82801GBM/GHM (ICH7-M Family) SATA Controller [AHCI mode]

27c6     82801GHM (ICH7-M DH) SATA Controller [RAID mode]

But this Board has no BIOS switch for IDE / SATA mode. On istallation the reported PCI ID 8086:27C4 leads allways to the installation of IDE drivers for the SATA Controller. Windows works, but I need SATA AHCI.

With many changes in Drivepack.ini I tried to replace / override the reported PCI ID 8086:27C4 with 8086:27C5, but no luck. I guess I understand to little of the PDMS system

I understand: On boards with fixed SATA mode or after switching to SATA mode would DPMS add the needed F6 drivers for the WinXP installation.

As a quick solution for me, I would like to modify dpms2.g4b somehow like
... if the now received/processed PCI ID is "8086:27C4" ( IDE-mode ) then replace it / process it as "8086:27C5" ( SATA mode ) ...

Has someone this code-snippet for me and can tell me where to place it in dpms2.g4b?

There are many EeeBoxes out there.
And many other PCs with 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7-M Family), ICH7-M (945GM/PM) und ICH8-M (PM965,
Santa Rosa)  SATA Controllers and no BIOS switches.

If you think it is it worth: Why not invent "Vitual PCI IDs" for DMPS?

It could be an include file "Virtual PCI IDs". Normally all lines comented. nothing happens.
If needed, the user uncomments the specific line. This line is then used like descript above.

Sample:
::  Virtual PCI IDs for DPMS.bat ...
::  received/processed Vitual PCI ID is replaced with

::  (ICH7-M Family) SATA Controller IDE mode to SATA mode
8086:27C4 = 8086:27C5                 <- will be processed

::   ... more
::  8086:2829 = 8086:2828

::  ICH8R RAID -> ICH8 AHCI
::  8086:2824 = 8086:2821
etc

TIA

JB

Re: Feature Request: "Virtual PCI IDs" for mass storage; 2nd try

JoDP wrote:

Hello  all,

new here - and don't know where and for what exactly to ask ;-)
It's OK, if you move this posting to the correct forum or if you tell me for which topic to search

I have an ASUS EeeBox B202.
With the current Easy&Boot and the newest DriverPacks I installed WinXP_SP2 flawless in IDE mode. But I want SATA.
Should not be a problem:
PCI IDs  ICH7M-Family
27c3     82801GR/GDH (ICH7R/ICH7DH) SATA Controller [RAID mode]   

27c4     82801GBM/GHM (ICH7-M Family) SATA Controller [IDE mode]   
27c5     82801GBM/GHM (ICH7-M Family) SATA Controller [AHCI mode]

27c6     82801GHM (ICH7-M DH) SATA Controller [RAID mode]

But this Board has no BIOS switch for IDE / SATA mode. On istallation the reported PCI ID 8086:27C4 leads allways to the installation of IDE drivers for the SATA Controller. Windows works, but I need SATA AHCI.

With many changes in Drivepack.ini I tried to replace / override the reported PCI ID 8086:27C4 with 8086:27C5, but no luck. I guess I understand to little of the PDMS system

You can't cheat by substituting HWIDs. The driver only works for the mode the controller is in. When the controller is in SATA mode it reports a different HWID than the one it reports in IDE mode and the matching driver (SATA or IDE) installs and works. Installing a SATA driver if the device is in IDE mode WILL fail. YOU MUST change the mode of the controller at the hardware level, In BIOS for example.  What you are doing is analogous to painting the outside of your car because you don't like the color of the interior.

JoDP wrote:

I understand: On boards with fixed SATA mode or after switching to SATA mode would DPMS add the needed F6 drivers for the WinXP installation.

If the driver is included in the driverpack then yes

JoDP wrote:

As a quick solution for me, I would like to modify dpms2.g4b somehow like
... if the now received/processed PCI ID is "8086:27C4" ( IDE-mode ) then replace it / process it as "8086:27C5" ( SATA mode ) ...

Has someone this code-snippet for me and can tell me where to place it in dpms2.g4b?

As I stated this is not possable. YOU MUST at a hardware level put the controller in SATA mode FIRST.
IDK how to set this on your hardware. sorry.
When your device reports the SATA HWID then the SATA driver will install automagically
Further i would like to point out that any speed benefits will be lame, We are in PE mode... not in windows. PE mode, think DOS. no high level functions are available with DOS drivers (the F6 drivers). They are for reasons of explanation like 16 bit versions of the 32 and 64 bit versions. Limp in mode. PE or Preinstallation Environment is a simple install tool, not a replacement for windows. Even if you figure this out there may be very little, or none, performance improvement in PE...

The answer is the same for XP_SP2 (why don't you have SP3 or SP4?) when the device reports its SATA HWID then you will get SATA drivers. Simply changing the driver will not switch the hardware to a different mode. that is a function of the hardware, it's a firmware / BIOS setting.

I have tried BOTH of my keys and the battery is still dead... i don't understand???

No we will not release code that alters bios or firmware ... that would be too dangerous for our tastes.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.