its parent folder D\M\IN\1\ has 6.1.0.1002

Version 6 has this section
[ControlFlags]
ExcludeFromSelect=PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&CC_0104
ExcludeFromSelect=PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C6&CC_0104
ExcludeFromSelect=PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2682&CC_0104
ExcludeFromSelect=PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C3&CC_0104
ExcludeFromSelect=PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2652&CC_0104

but after that all these devices do get a section...

thinking aloud.
set BIOS to use AHCI...
if these are new hard drives, they should always be seen and be usable

if these were previously set up in RAID array, they should not get seen at all.
(I actually think this is BEST. One is forced to look at this, and has to decide to delete the array, and the data on it. The old one that Gigabyte provided, 5.0.0.1032, saw wrong size, killed the data, then failed.)

just an observation.
in the new box I fired up this morning, the BIOS default settings for all three chips is RAID.
A large percentage of end users never look at BIOS settings, let alone change them..
I think AHCI does not give any speed benefit.
when the chip is set to RAID , it does not have to have member disks in an array. They can all be independant disks.

one of the tings I will try is set one up on iastor in AHCI, then change setting to RAID, and see wether it boots.

If you set up two disks in RAID mode, then if you later switch to AHCI, you of course will not be able to see the array. ACHI is not RAID mode, it's a special mode for single disks (enabling hot swap and other stuff).

But are you saying that if you are using a single disk that USED to be in a RAID array, and try to install on this single disk in AHCI mode, the OS should not see it?

Re: [SOLVED] cannot boot from ICH7R in AHCI mode

Oh, if it ever was a member of an array, and was not reset to NON-member, then it will still be a member disk.
I'm almost sure it would either show a wrong size, or an error, or maybe with the newest, not show up at all..

it is something I intend to find out, using the newest, and after this with my 5.00.1032.

testing a change like from AHCI to single disk on RAID setting should be easy.
in that 945, I recall it runs in AHCI right now?
All I have to do is connect it to a monitor and get in BIOS..

At the moment, I have to free up a used 250 Gb drive so as to have two "erasables".
(I do not want to crack the wrap on the new ones if I do not have to.)

the 945 testrig has three unconnected drives, one of wich only contains some data I think I have on other drives as well, but I will first look at it before I start messing on it.
the other two in there are a RAID running windows X64, which could actually be erased.
(I think I will not keep on using any OEM X64 windows versions after al. This one was installed many months ago, and can already be activated in other rig with no problem, so I could sell it as used but usable.)

.the 955 rig will run a first test on a single sata in twenty minutes or so.
(I want to test for the desktop.ini error, with locale settings removed from winnt.sif)
with any luck, I will run four or six tests tonight.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

interesting... Holmes would say.

the drive that had run while ICH7R was set to AHCI was hooked up to a SIL3132 controller on the 955 mobo

RVM+ base 610 DVD... setup
it loops in reboots to setup after formatting/copying... drive is seen, but on a different controller, and its layout somehow triggers this.

will shut this down, and connect this single drive to the ICH7R chip, in default mode (RAID)
edit; done that, and windows is loading, Finisher started running.
On Same chip, in single drive mode, RAID or AHCI settings have same layout.

will change setting to AHCI after windows is fully finished, and do not expect error.

Last edited by jtdoom (2006-10-11 09:54:43)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Well,
I was too optimistic.
changed setting to AHCI after windows got fully loaded, and it tries but fails to boot to windows...
changed it back, and I got the safe boot options screen.
(come to think of it, these single modes use a different driver, so this is understandable).

next is a striped RAID, then try a single drive out of the stripe.
Just found a twin to the 250 drive I ran in single mode. This one is probably fully loaded with data...
be patient, it will get tested tonite.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Hi Fragbert

when you connect a RAID striped array to the ICH7R channels, and ICH7R is set to AHCI, and you boot to the hard disks... then you get an Error during Boot.
A disk Read Error occured,
press CTRL-ALT-DEL to restart.

That is perfectly normal.
A user should always see that, even when BIOS is set to Silent or Quiet.
(OEM screen hiding POST data on screen)

the drives are ready to be blanked, so I could launch setup from DVD.
I already know what happened when both drives were there and booted to DVD.
(The unnatended automatically formats, and it saw the full size of the array, and setup would then loop to setup when it did its first reboot.)

so I'll disconnect just one of the stripe, set this to AHCI, load the DVD, and see what happens..

Last edited by jtdoom (2006-10-11 13:58:57)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

setup told me it had no access to the drive
it sees the combined size, while only half of the stripe is there, but it does see the drive...
I will abort, there is no sense in repartitioning this on wrong size.

your error looks different after all.
it does not see the drive at all, doesn't it?

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Error solved! Very unique conditions to get this error after all!

The two drives in question that I tested *USED* to be part of a RAID 0 array using driver v5.5. Even though the array was deleted/cleared in the BIOS, when attempting to install on one of those particular SATA drives in AHCI mode, the lock up will occur. The error does NOT occur when using IDE mode, the error does NOT occur on a brand new drive, the error will ONLY occur if the two conditions are present; the SATA drive is in AHCI mode and the drive used to be part of an array in RAID mode. The error is fixed by paritioning the drive first in IDE mode and then switching back to AHCI to run your unattended setup.

What is very interesting is that the error will NOT occur if you use the same version of driver (in my case v5.5) to install in single AHCI mode that was used to install on the drive as part of an array in RAID mode!

So it's safe to say that Intel's fakeraid (ICHxR) leaves a lot of leftover mess on drives even though you "delete" the array in the SATA RAID BIOS setup.

Tested several times now, I can reproduce the error and fix it in my controlled environment.

Last edited by Fragbert (2006-10-13 05:38:30)

Hi
Thanks, I''l mark the floppies I made...
If Version 6.x and 5.5 x and 5.00x cause a different EMBR to be written... yikes.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Hi Fragbert
Today I had to lowlevel the drive that was used with all these different modes and versions...
I must say, I never thought intel could get people in such a mess.
I also just read the ICH5 topic you ran

Thanks, I learned a ton TOO

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

In conclusion:
When i need to install WXP (integrated DP MS) in AHCI mode (on i945P ICH7R).
I must first format and partition HDD in IDE mode, then switch in BIOS to AHCI and start installing UXP (integrated DP MS).

Is it right?

hi

* when you use new harddrives, no problems.
* when you don't switch from array'ed drives to separates on ahci, no problem.
* and when you always use the DriverPacks Mass storage, there are no version differences.

the conditions we tried were indeed rather unique...

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

jtdoom wrote:

As i wrote in near topic: I use brand new Seagate 320 G + ASUS P5LD2 ICH7R.
I burn UXPCD w/ DP BASE+DP MS. Shot down PC. Connect ONLY my new HDD, set in BIOS mode AHCI.
And start installing WinXP.
AND there comes problem!!
In blue screen where i must partition my HDD i see a message: There are no HDD present bla bla bla.
In BIOS everything ok with HDD and then i set to Normal IDE - installation work perfect!!

This means with new Harddrives user have a problem.

Last edited by fanatf1 (2006-10-17 21:52:19)

fanatf1 wrote:
jtdoom wrote:

As i wrote in near topic: I use brand new Seagate 320 G + ASUS P5LD2 ICH7R.
I burn UXPCD w/ DP BASE+DP MS. Shot down PC. Connect ONLY my new HDD, set in BIOS mode AHCI.
And start installing WinXP.
AND there comes problem!!
In blue screen where i must partition my HDD i see a message: There are no HDD present bla bla bla.
In BIOS everything ok with HDD and then i set to Normal IDE - installation work perfect!!

This means with new Harddrives user have a problem.

Try installing in AHCI mode now that you have a working partition when you were in IDE mode.

oops... and I'll be d..

sorry.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

rrrrr
not solved. It still not working for me sad
Partition in IDE mode, reboot set AHCI , insert  UXPCD w/ latest DriverPacks BASE+DPMS.... and nothing.

Error - NO HDD PRESENT.

what happend sad

fanatf1 wrote:

rrrrr
not solved. It still not working for me sad
Partition in IDE mode, reboot set AHCI , insert  UXPCD w/ latest DriverPacks BASE+DPMS.... and nothing.

Error - NO HDD PRESENT.

what happend sad

Try doing a manual F6 setup with just the intel drivers.

I too am having nightmares with getting this driver working with our unattended installation of XP SP2. We created the unattended install with nLite and CMDOW, and a menu at the end to install all our apps, and until the advent of this nasty driver, it all worked perfectly. I tried the 5.5.0.1035 version of the mass storage driver in the install, without any luck, and even using it with the F6 option, it cant find the iaStor.sys file later in the install. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Garth

Last edited by coords (2007-02-07 21:28:51)