Topic: Seriously confused newbie wants to load driverpacks in plain BartPE

Hello:

First off, thanks to all of you who have laboured endlessly to
make the driverpacks. I know that kind of work would have
made me lose my hair. You guys have patience I definitely do not.

That being said, I am wondering how (we're talking idiot terms here)
I can incorporate driver packs into a plain BartPE (with nu2menu)
setup.

Setup is:
BartPE 3.1.3 (using nu2menu only)
Windows XP Pro SP1

I have some experience building BartPe disks, but I'm thoroughly
about how to load drivers during and after boot time, and especially
how to install driver packs. I understand that mass storage, chipset
and video drivers must be loaded at boot time, but that other drivers,
like USB, can be loaded after boot time.

I am mostly concerned with chipset, mass storage and LAN
drivers, as I use Bart only for emergency recovery and repairs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Shplad

Re: Seriously confused newbie wants to load driverpacks in plain BartPE

Where you install BartPE you'll have a drivers directory, and in that you've got Net & SCSI Adapters folders. Simply dump all of the necessary network/mass storage drivers from the driver packs into those directories. Some will fail mind, but a majority work. Or just pull the ones you need from the driver packs and you'll be good.

I don't use chipset drivers, don't think they are really needed for this!

lightsout:

Thanks for turning my lights on. I appreciate the advice.

I thought with these particular driverpacks that it was more complicated than that. Don't you
have to use some script before building your BartPE disk or some pre or post-processing or
something like you do with UBCD4WIN or Reatogo? You mean I can simply dump them
in the correct folder and that's it?  That would make me very happy.

Any idea which drivers I can expect NOT to work? Some particular class of driver, or just
anything that doesn't get detected properly or ???

Oh, and one last thing. What about USB drivers? My goal is to be able to back up customer
data onto a USB hard drive. At the moment, some generic drivers seem to be loading from
my BartPE discs (which, BTW is based on XP Pro SP1). Is that all I need, or do I need to
also make sure specific USB drivers are loading?

Thanks very much.

Shplad

Last edited by Shplad (2007-02-02 02:36:46)

The BASE currently does NOT support BartPE yet. We're working on that though.

Founder of DriverPacks.net — wimleers.com

You literally just dump them in the folder, when you run BartPE to create the ISO it will process everything it finds in those directories. I recall specifically a lot of trouble with Nvidia's NICs, so you may wish to leave them out. You can see it in the logged output from BartPE anyway.

BartPE doesn't support USB either, so you'll need a plugin for that. I've tried a bit to get it to work, but the ISO wouldn't generate so I didn't bother!

I'd recommend Win2003 SP1 as the source if possible also!

Also as Bâshrat the Sneaky said, this is a manual process only, it isn't supported by DriverPacks BASE itself.

lightsout wrote:

You literally just dump them in the folder, when you run BartPE to create the ISO it will process everything it finds in those directories. I recall specifically a lot of trouble with Nvidia's NICs, so you may wish to leave them out. You can see it in the logged output from BartPE anyway.

Okay, that sounds good.

lightsout wrote:

BartPE doesn't support USB either, so you'll need a plugin for that. I've tried a bit to get it to work, but the ISO wouldn't generate so I didn't bother!

Yeah, this area is still very vague to me, and most posts on the BartPE forum don't make it any clearer.
I still don't know exactly what that means. As it is, my USB flash drive will mount if I plug it in before boot
time, but my USB had drive won't. What do I need for that to run assuming it's connected before boot?
The USB plugins I've seen assume you can grab the drivers (whichever ones those are, no one has specified
on the Bart forums) from the registry of a machine to which the drive is already connected. I can't do this
at the moment. Is there not an easier way?

lightsout wrote:

I'd recommend Win2003 SP1 as the source if possible also!

Could you please elaborate on why? More drivers? Better PnP detection? What exactly?
The reason I ask is that I have most of the plugins that I want already working
in BartPE built on XP SP1. I'm concerned that switching to 2003 SP1 would create all kinds
of new problems. IS that not very likely?

lightsout wrote:

Also as Bâshrat the Sneaky said, this is a manual process only, it isn't supported by DriverPacks BASE itself.

Could you please explain what you mean by that.  I do not know what BASE is, or what you mean
by a manual process. Do you mean I'd have load drivers automatically after boot via a device manager
type of utility, and that devices wouldn't be automatically detected or?

Thanks again.

Shplad

Last edited by Shplad (2007-02-03 02:35:35)

1. USB. I've not got this working, so I can't really help. You need to add a plugin for USB into the plugin directory, and then any files it requires. I could never ever get it to enable let alone anything else!

2. Win2003 SP1. Specifically a slightly newer driver base to start with, and my favorite reason is that I can boot the BartPE ISO image into RAM using a RIS server. This makes it very quick. I wouldn't expect any problems, but if you've got XP SP1 working then you may be ok. Perhaps a potential for a fair few security issues with SP1 though.