Topic: [BUG] nVidia problems

-original topic start:

what is the forlder 4a and 4aR means? which is for nForce4 Ultra?

-A solution that may work in case you cannot get your installation onto an nForce-based mass storage controller to work: [link]

-A quite complete overview of what I (the admin) would like to call 'the nVidia misery': [link]

Last edited by Bâshrat the Sneaky (2006-08-04 17:44:49)

Re: [BUG] nVidia problems

Are you using an AMD processor, or an Intel processor?

Folder 4A contains drivers for nForce4 AMD (Ultra, SLI non-X16) not using nvRAID.
Folder 4AR contains drivers for nForce4 AMD (Ultra, SLI non-X16) using nvRAID.
Folder 4I contains drivers for nForce4 Intel (Ultra, SLI non-X16) not using nvRAID.
Folder 4IR contains drivers for nForce4 Intel (Ultra, SLI non-X16) using nvRAID.

Hope that helps. smile

thanks smile

Last edited by hmaster10 (2006-06-05 04:56:02)

I would guess you'd have to extract the files, delete the folders you don't want to keep and repack them as .7z, using the original file sructure and name.

www.7-zip.org is the program you will need.

your fast... just edited my post ... smile thanks

Np big_smile

Last edited by Helmi (2006-06-05 05:01:06)

question, in the guide it says Word = 255, but in 7z n can only select 256, will that be ok?

Installing WinXP to a non-raid Sata HD

this for those who experience
- infinite reboot after installation if they instegrated Mass Storage Pack (as textmode)
- missing components of winXP or not recognise as Administrator even log as an administrator (integrate MassStorage but not as textmode)
- having problems of wrong driver being installed (can't blame nvidia)

NOTE:
incase others might ask what is my chipset it is an "EP-9NPA3 Ultra"

here's a helpful workaround for those having trouble installing WinXP thru their nForce4 Chipset w/ nVidia Mass Storage Driver.

1) First, set your bios to enable RAID but don't set any drive to be raid.

ex:
     RAID Enabled     -     [enabled]
     SATA 1 RAID      -     [disabled]
     SATA 2 RAID      -     [disabled]
     SATA 3 RAID      -     [disabled]
     SATA 4 RAID      -     [disabled]

2) Install your integrated WinXP w/ Bâshrat the Sneaky Mass Storage Pack
* Mass Storage Pack should also be integrated as Text Mode
* Using method 2 with all Driver Pack integrated using method 2 may cause a long blue blank screen after the reboot.

3) Immediately after installation finished (before the first Gui Login), disable RAID in BIOS

ex:
     RAID Enabled     -     [disabled]

* if this part is not done, windows will still load but will report about unable to properly install your nVidia Raid Controller along w/ the Serial & Parallel ATA Controller and you can't update it.

4) Done. You have installed your WinXP w/ latest driver and no problem. wink

opinions &/or comments are accepted smile

Last edited by hmaster10 (2006-06-07 15:39:26)

Very interesting, hmaster10. If somebody could confirm this, I'll make this a guideline. Did you base this method on someone else's? If so, please provide the source.

Founder of DriverPacks.net — wimleers.com

Bâshrat the Sneaky wrote:

Very interesting, hmaster10. If somebody could confirm this, I'll make this a guideline. Did you base this method on someone else's? If so, please provide the source.

nope, it's based on my experience... i already did 5 times reformat for 2 straight days just to fix the installation, and trying this method thrice confirms me that it works.

i'm planning to test it again but not now smile i'll wait for the ATI CCC fix before then.

Last edited by hmaster10 (2006-06-06 02:59:24)

I was experiencing the same problem trying to get the latest DP downloads to install to a Samsung Spingpoint 250 Gb drive on the NV Sata 2 interface overthe weekend.

Swapping to Safe mode after the installation got as far as MUP.sys before re-booting again, but the same Slipstreamed disc installed to a WDC250 Gb drive on the IDE interface (although it also seems to have installed Chipset drivers for my A8n Sli Deluxe motherboard that are dated last year, instead of the newest ones that are supposed to be required for the latest BIOS revisions).

I'm going to try the installation again using these guidelines, and will report back later on my results.

Travis.

Asus A8nSLi Deluxe;  AMD 64 3700 CPU, Asus EN 6600 GT, 2x Spinpoint 250Gb drives on NV SATA II connection, WDC 250GB & WDC 120GB drive on IDE, 2x LG GSA 4167 DVD RAM drives.

Sorry it took so long to report back, but by the time I got back into my production environment, it was past midnight, and i knew that once I started typing I'd be there for ages.

My System Specs.

#1. Asus A8n SLi Deluxe Rev 1.02
AMD64 3700 San Diego E4
1Gb DDR400
Asus EN6600GT Top
WDC WD1200JB (IDE) + WD2500JB (IDE) + SamSung SP2504C (SATA II) + WD 2500JB (Ext IEEE 1394)
2* LG DVDRAM GSA-4167B (IDE) + LG DVDRAM GSA-2164D (Ext USB)
Silverstone TJ05 Chassis
Silverstone ST60F PSU.

The good news is that I got the installation to complete this time.  I turned the raid controller on for the NVRAID, but left RAID on all the IDE and SATA discs disabled as suggested, and also unplugged the IDE discs leaving on the SamSung Spinpoint 250Gb on the NV SATA port, and the two optical drives on their own IDE connections.  I also unplugged the Firewire and USB connections to my external Drives, Scanner and Joypad, but left the printer and mouse plugged in (although the printer (an ESP 950) was turned off).

The Slipstream disc was based on XP Home Edition, +SP2 +RVM hotfixes, and all Bâshrat the Sneaky driverpacks available over the weekend.  I used Method 2 and elected to keep the drivers, but I'm not sure if this worked or not.

I was also really chuffed with how fast it appeared to be going too. It started booting from the slipstream CD at 23:21 and was rebooting after GUI setup mode, by 23:40. 

The only point when I was worried was at the first restart, and got a blank blue screen for an extended period before the GUI part of the installation started.  I wondered if I should have turned off the NVRAID controller at that point (between text mode and GUI set up), but then remembered that I'd had a similar pause when I'd tested the same disc on my WDC 250 IDE drive at the weekend, after it had failed to install to the SATA drive correctly at the time, and also that the device detection was part of the GUI set up process.  Feedback point : If this blue screen (not a BSOD by the way) is when Method 2 is extracting its drivers from the CD to the hard drive, it would be useful to have a message come up to say so. << Moderator edit: we do that now. <<

After turning the NVRAID back off again, I let it start Windows for the first time, but it hit another re-boot, flashing up a blue screen breifly in the process, but I changed the next restart to Safe mode, and although it paused at MUP.sys, the system was definately doing something, and came up with the Welcome Screen a few seconds later.

When I clicked into the Administrator Account, it Started the DP finish process, and I guess I must have forgotten to turn of the driver signing checks in the WinNT.SIF file, because it ran through a long series of Unsigned Driver Warning screens, but seemed to cancel these automatically. 

It also seems to have installed the Chipset drivers for my Asus A8N SLi Deluxe Motherboard, because at the same time as running the DPFinish commands, the Add New Hardware started and detected my Video Card, and wanted to connect to Windows Update to look for the correct driver.  But it returned an error about an incorrect parameter, it didn't install the graphics driver.

This part ran from 23:42 to 23:51, when I restarted the system again, and this time it logged in normally.  This time the Add new hardware correctly updated the graphics driver, and a quick look at the Device Manager showed that everything appeared to have been detected.  At least there were no Pling or Query overlays to denote unknown of incorrectly installed devices.

The only thing that I'm not sure of, is how to tell if the slipstreamed installation has put in the latest version of the nForce4 drivers that are requierd for the latest BIOS updates for the motherboard.

I've tried looking at the propertes tabs on a variety of components that seem to be part of the nForce4 set up, but all the driver dates are from last year, and they have version numbers like 5.1.2600.534, or 5.1.2600.445, or 5.1.2600.450. 

Can any one advise what I should be looking out for, or if it has infact put in a previous version of the drivers, I remember seeing something about mofifying the DP to remove the ones that don't apply to my board - can someone help with this?

Overall, I'd also like to say that I'm impressed with the new version of the driver pack software, except as I said that it doesn't appear to have kept the drivers.  Oh yes, and the other thing I noticed when I was trying to install something else that the Hardware Wizard couldn't see the drivers on the CD either, because they were all in .7z files.  Is this a consequence of Method 2, and would method 1 let me install drivers from the CD, because they'd be CAB files instead of 7z ones?

Asus A8nSLi Deluxe;  AMD 64 3700 CPU, Asus EN 6600 GT, 2x Spinpoint 250Gb drives on NV SATA II connection, WDC 250GB & WDC 120GB drive on IDE, 2x LG GSA 4167 DVD RAM drives.

SpaceCommanderTravis wrote:

The only point when I was worried was at the first restart, and got a blank blue screen for an extended period before the GUI part of the installation started.  I wondered if I should have turned off the NVRAID controller at that point (between text mode and GUI set up), but then remembered that I'd had a similar pause when I'd tested the same disc on my WDC 250 IDE drive at the weekend, after it had failed to install to the SATA drive correctly at the time, and also that the device detection was part of the GUI set up process.  Feedback point : If this blue screen (not a BSOD by the way) is when Method 2 is extracting its drivers from the CD to the hard drive, it would be useful to have a message come up to say so.

i also experience this long bluescreen (not BSOD) using method 2

if your using nForce4 AMD /AMD RAID (4A/4AR)

5.1.2600.534 is the version should be the drivers in there.

I found the drivers page on Nvidia website for the nForce4 motherboards, and this seems to say that the latest driver pack is v6.70, which contains these driver versions.

Windows XP/2000 Driver Versions
Audio driver version 4.62 (WHQL)
Audio utility version 4.51
Ethernet NRM driver version 4.82 (WHQL)
Network management tools version 4.88
SMBus driver version 4.50 (WHQL)
Installer version 4.93
Legacy PATA RAID driver version 5.52
SATA RAID driver version 5.52 (WHQL)
IDE driver version 5.52 (WHQL)
RAIDTOOL application version 5.52

However, I couldn't get many of these to tie in with the version numbers that I saw on my Device Manager Driver properties, so I looked at the other Driver versions, and it seems that the drivers that have been installed on my system are a better match to the v6.66 bundle, that contains these driver versions.

Windows XP Driver Versions
Audio driver 4.62 (WHQL)
Audio utilities 4.51
Ethernet driver 4.82 (WHQL)
Network management tools version 4.88
SMBus driver 4.45 (WHQL)
NVIDIA PATA RAID driver 5.34
NVIDIA SATA RAID driver 5.34 (WHQL)
NVIDIA SATA IDE driver 5.34 (WHQL)
NVIDIA RAID Application 4.82
Installer 4.78

The easiest ones to identify from the Device Manager are the PATA and SATA drivers, but I'm not entirely convinced that I have all of these drivers, since items like the Nvidia Nforce network controller or the Network Bus Enumerator show version 5.0.9.0 and these don't seem to tie into either of these driver sets.

The next thing I'll try is to run another installation from the same slipstreamed disk, and then try to manually update the chipset drivers to the latest versions to see what differences come up from the originally installed drivers.

Would the HWID's program include versions of the drivers that are installed, or is there another easy way of obtaining a list of these without having to go in and out of each device properties tab?

Check within the MassStorage and LAN DriverPacks and you'll see that those version numbers match for drivers that aren't supposed to work with your motherboard...

The only way to truly be sure the correct drivers are installed for your nForce motherboard from the start is to remove the drivers that shouldn't be used from those two DriverPacks.

thats odd, mine installed fine and when  check the Mass Storage Pack, under 4A & 4AR it says DriverVer=05/17/2005,5.10.2600.0534 in their inf.

i also use your post as a basis that it is 4A or 4AR where i should be getting my drivers at

5eraph wrote:

Are you using an AMD processor, or an Intel processor?

Folder 4A contains drivers for nForce4 AMD (Ultra, SLI non-X16) not using nvRAID.
Folder 4AR contains drivers for nForce4 AMD (Ultra, SLI non-X16) using nvRAID.
Folder 4I contains drivers for nForce4 Intel (Ultra, SLI non-X16) not using nvRAID.
Folder 4IR contains drivers for nForce4 Intel (Ultra, SLI non-X16) using nvRAID.

Hope that helps. smile

the only difference between 4A & 4AR is the raid controller.

Last edited by hmaster10 (2006-06-08 15:21:46)

My nVidia nForce4 AMD system also appeared to install fine a few months ago (using nvRAID), but Windows was indeed using the wrong driver for the nVidia LAN.

More nForce drivers have since been added to the DriverPacks and I've not had the opportunity to test again, but nVidia's use of the same HWID across chipsets does seem to necessitate modding the DriverPacks for use with each nForce chipset variety.  I haven't tested the workaround for the nF3 LAN issue yet, but it may have been fixed.

Does that version number match what is displayed in the Device Manager Properties for the NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA Controller?

You should also verify that the NVIDIA Network Bus Enumerator is using the correct driver.  I didn't notice any problems other than the wrong driver version, but I didn't use it long enough to encounter them before forcing Windows to use the correct driver from DP_LAN.

Last edited by 5eraph (2006-06-08 16:25:07)

5eraph wrote:

My nVidia nForce4 AMD system also appeared to install fine a few months ago (using nvRAID), but Windows was indeed using the wrong driver for the nVidia LAN.

More nForce drivers have since been added to the DriverPacks and I've not had the opportunity to test again, but nVidia's use of the same HWID across chipsets does seem to necessitate modding the DriverPacks for use with each nForce chipset variety.  I haven't tested the workaround for the nF3 LAN issue yet, but it may have been fixed.

Does that version number match what is displayed in the Device Manager Properties for the NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA Controller?

yes it match.

5eraph wrote:

You should also verify that the NVIDIA Network Bus Enumerator is using the correct driver.  I didn't notice any problems other than the wrong driver version, but I didn't use it long enough to encounter them before forcing Windows to use the correct driver from DP_LAN.

for this device i'm still checking it. i'll post if it installed the correct one or not.

edit: it seems to grab the driver from the 16x. (version 5.0.9)

windows will report some kind of an error if a mismatch driver installed is found right?

Last edited by hmaster10 (2006-06-09 17:05:02)

hmaster10 wrote:

windows will report some kind of an error if a mismatch driver installed is found right?

It won't.  As far as it knows, the driver is correct because the hardware looks identical.

5eraph wrote:
hmaster10 wrote:

It won't.  As far as it knows, the driver is correct because the hardware looks identical.

ic, so the only way is to check if the versions match the ones found in the right drivers.

since this is the mass storage area, i'll post the lan concerns in the Lan area smile

5eraph wrote:

Check within the MassStorage and LAN DriverPacks and you'll see that those version numbers match for drivers that aren't supposed to work with your motherboard...

The only way to truly be sure the correct drivers are installed for your nForce motherboard from the start is to remove the drivers that shouldn't be used from those two DriverPacks.

I'm not sure why you think that these aren't the correct drivers for my motherboard, unless you are referring to the Asus Support website still showing driver bundle v6.65 as the latest chipset drivers for 32bit Windows XP.  But there is another 'unofficial' support forum run by someone from Asus Tech support in the UK, that recommends getting the drivers from Nvidia directly.

Logging in through their Download Drivers section, and selecting Platform Nforce Drivers / Nforce 4 AMD / Windows XP returns driver bundle v6.70, and this is where I got the list of drivers that I posted earlier.

I was about to attach a copy of the output I hhad from DriverView to show the drivers that were being installed from a WinXP Home disc, slipstreamed with SP2, RVM hotfixes (plus a few other tweaks I wanted to try) and Bâshrat the Sneaky driverpacks to 11th June, before I realised that there doesn't seem to be an attachment function here.

I realise this would normally be a no-no, but I've instead attached the file to an old post of mine at Bashrat's old driverpacks Forum on MSFN.org at the bottom of this post. http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=67661.

I've also included a copy of the DriverView report, after manually installing Nvidia's v6.70 Driver bundle manually.   I've  also just realised, that the list of the driver versions that I posted above came from Nvidia.com, which lists them slightly differently to the equivalent page on nvidia.co.uk, although all the version numbers are the same.

I can see from the reports that the IDE drivers have changed from v534 (and 535) to v552 that is part of the v6.70 driver bundle, and that some Audio drivers appear to have been added, but I'm still not sure that I have all the correct drivers from the v6.70 bundle.

The other thing that I noticed during the manual installation is that the Unsigned driver warning popped up for the Serial ATA driver (twice) and for the Parallel ATA driver, even though the v5.52 of the Serial ATA driver is supposed to be signed.

Is it possible that the installation has used the earlier signed drivers here in preference to the newer unsigned ones?

Since Driverpacks.net says that the Chipset DriverPack includes v6.70 for the Nforce4 motherboards, does this mean that these replaced the previous v6.66 drivers (in the update at v5.11 on 6th Nov 2005) or that the v6.70 drivers were added to the existing pack?

If both versions are in the existing chipset pack, how would I go about removing the old ones to make sure there is no chance of installing a pre-v6.65 driver?

Or would it be safer to accept the drivers that have been installed as a minimum for the latest BIOS revisions, and accept that I'd need to update these manually?

I'm not sure why you think that these aren't the correct drivers for my motherboard...

I'm only going by the versions included in the DriverPacks and assuming that Bâshrat has separated the drivers into their respective folders properly.  I have not tried a manual install or disassembly of nVidia's chipset drivers to compare version numbers.

Is it possible that the installation has used the earlier signed drivers here in preference to the newer unsigned ones?

Yes, Windows will choose signed drivers over unsigned drivers regardless of version number/date during an unattended installation.

Since Driverpacks.net says that the Chipset DriverPack includes v6.70 for the Nforce4 motherboards, does this mean that these replaced the previous v6.66 drivers (in the update at v5.11 on 6th Nov 2005) or that the v6.70 drivers were added to the existing pack?

Only Bâshrat can answer that and some of your other questions, but I'd guess he replaced v6.66 with v6.70.

The fastest and safest method (in my opinion) is to simply remove the unrelated nForce drivers from your DriverPacks.  It will save a lot of guesswork and trial-and-error.

So to remove the older version of the drivers, is it just a matter of removing certain files from the Driverpack file, or do I have to edit the inf's or something?

And would it be enough to just edit the chipset pack, or would I need to look at other packs, like the Audio and LAN ones too?

Another thought occurs to me.  Would it be possible to let the slipstreamed installation disc install the drivers that it wants, but then get it to run the v6.70 driver bundle once the set up is complete, in the same way as it will do silent installs of acrobat reader and Trillian etc?

There don't seem to be any issues with the Chipset or Audio DriverPacks; these can be left alone.

I would suggest removing the unnecessary nForce driver folders from the MassStorage and LAN DriverPacks.  There have been issues with each of these with other nForce chipsets, particularly between nF3 and nF4.

Would it be possible to let the slipstreamed installation disc install the drivers that it wants, but then get it to run the v6.70 driver bundle once the set up is complete...

Yes, but you'd need to make a silent installer for it.  That is beyond my level of expertise, but there are guides on MSFN, I'm sure.  An Auto-It script looks to be your best bet.

Last edited by 5eraph (2006-06-15 10:39:01)

In the Media Shield user guide, it gives instructions for slipstreaming the sata-raid drivers into the CD.  The guide can be downloaded at this website

http://www.nvidia.com/object/feature_raid.html

The instructions start on page 150 of the guide.