Topic: Doesn't Work w/ Virtual PC?

I made a slipstreamed CD with nLite to integrate SP2 and the hotfix pack and made some customizations that nLite allows you to do.  I then used driverpacks from this site.  I used the Chipset, Graphics, Sound, LAN, WLAN and MassStorage.  I used the BASE program from this site to integrate the drivers.  However, I installed Windows using Virtual PC 2004 the driver packs didn't seem to work for Graphics, Sound, LAN and WLAN.  I think the MassStorage did work.  I am unsure about the chipset drivers.  My display came up as 8bit instead of 32bit and listed the wrong adapter completely.  I have the ATI Radeon 9800XT and I thought it was supported by the Graphics A pack.  Do these packs not work correctly with Virtual PC or is something else wrong?  I would appreciate any info and help.  Thanks

-Steve

Re: Doesn't Work w/ Virtual PC?

VirtualPC emulates hardware, but not your hardware wink It emulates some very basic (and old) hardware.

If you want to test the DriverPacks on your own system, you'll have to use a spare HDD or an extra partition if you don't want to erase your current Windows.

Founder of DriverPacks.net — wimleers.com

Oh, Ok.  Thanks.  Thanks for the quick reply.  I have Norton Ghost and will do a Ghost Image backup and save it on my external drive and will wipe my system and try the CD.  Thanks.

With VPC, all you need to do is go into the menu of the app (so you'll have to leave the virtual mode --> [Alt Gr]) and select Action|Install or Update Virtual Machine AddOns (or press [Alt Gr]+[i]).
That will take care of the graphics drivers and also allow the mouse pinter to "leave" the virtual mode on-the-fly.

Ok, I got it to work for the most part.  The finisher hangs and quits responding when first trying to do its thing at first login.  The whole login process will stop and the screen will sit there until I ctrl alt del for task manager and I stop the "not responding" driver finisher task.  There is also an installer running but, I cannot tell what that was for.  Once I stop the hung finisher, the login process will finish.  All my drivers were installed correctly.

I tried making the CD two different times, redid the whole process and I have the same problem.  Any ideas?

Last edited by SBacklin (2006-12-21 07:28:47)

Okay, I guess there is a known bug for this and a possible unofficial fix for it.  I will give that fix a try and I guess report back.

If you experience issues with the Finisher, please post your DPsFnshr.log file wink

Founder of DriverPacks.net — wimleers.com

All I can say is I always use VPC to test my CDs and it has yet to fail or hang on me *shrugs*

So it's definately not a problem that always occurs.
It's still strange though, since we're basically using the same HW configuration...

Bâshrat the Sneaky wrote:

If you experience issues with the Finisher, please post your DPsFnshr.log file wink

If it happens again, I will definitely do that.  I had didn't keep the log file, then I read the post.  So I got the info on keeping the log file a bit too late. LOL  I'll keep that in mind for future reference.

Well, I did find out it was a bug that the people who take care of the codes are looking over and consideing a fix. It has to do with the finisher and when you choose the ATI CCP, instead of the ATI CCC.  I believe it was that the finisher doesn't work well with the ATI CCP, hence the Finisher quitting responding on me.  So I will try the ATI CCC the next time around.

well i use the beta of virtual pc 2007 and the custom cds i use and test all work fine no hangs except for that finisher error i mentioned in another thread in support and feedback smile

dakiwi wrote:

beta of virtual pc 2007

Just in case anyone cares, the RC1 is now out!

Links can be found if you log into your beta subscription account and select the VPC entry.

cheer's helmi smile i got the RC yesterday