Topic: Open source driver update manager

Hi everyone,
DriverPacks are really cool, but i found a contraddiction: i really like the "essentiality" of each driver (no stupid bundled apps or useless control panels, etc) but is not so good to download a whole pack fur just one driver (for both bandwidth - yours and users' one).

My suggestion is to build a sort of CVS accessible by a software that can manage the driver download.

Here's 2 open source softwares that can do this (if customized):

Download !

Update All

I also wanna invite you to check out the DP-related 3ads (this and this) on ReactOS forum and interesting discussions (..Driver Development Kit.. and Open Sourcing Windows 9x).

Marco Ravich
--
>>Forward Agency
In progress we (always) trust.

Re: Open source driver update manager

I quickly read through the topics you listed and I think this project can be of little use for ReactOS, because ReactOS seems to require open source drivers... which is something that's not been done by the DriverPacks.net project before, nor will it be done, at least not by me.

However, such a driver update program may exist in the future, since we're now building a database system for automatically building the Driverpacks, but we can of course build other apps around that database as well - which also was/is the goal.

Founder of DriverPacks.net — wimleers.com

Bâshrat the Sneaky wrote:

this project can be of little use for ReactOS, because ReactOS seems to require open source drivers...

Well, not exactly. ReactOS (for those who don't know, it's the "open source Windows NT clone" project; check out the Wikipedia entry and the Official website) works with closed source drivers but many of them has to be tested with it.

Contributors & testers are welcome. tongue

which is something that's not been done by the DriverPacks.net project before, nor will it be done, at least not by me.

Where there's life there's hope wink

However, such a driver update program may exist in the future, since we're now building a database system for automatically building the Driverpacks, but we can of course build other apps around that database as well - which also was/is the goal.

Again, a sort of open source package manager ("driver manager" in this case) would be great to me.

Marco Ravich
--
>>Forward Agency

forart.it wrote:

Again, a sort of open source package manager ("driver manager" in this case) would be great to me.

That package manager is already available? Or in development?

Founder of DriverPacks.net — wimleers.com

That package manager is already available? Or in development?

Working, check this out: http://youtube.com/watch?v=qk1qEvXfM8A

EDIT: more (open source) managers links, more fun !!!

1. WPM
2. win-get
3. TGUP
4. JackGet
5. ROSi, of course.

Last but not least, note that WinLibre submitted the idea to SoC 2007.

Last edited by forart.it (2007-09-13 22:07:42)

Marco Ravich
--
>>Forward Agency

Ok, some other interesting finds:

UpdateStar - a free software that lets you stay up-to-date with the personal software installations on your computer. It eases your life as a software user and makes sure you always have the most up-to-date software versions. (very clear and usable UI)

filehippo.com Update Checker - (maybe) the simplest sw updater on the net.

Hope that helps.

Marco Ravich
--
>>Forward Agency