Topic: Custom DriverPacks... is it possible?

Hello everybody!

First of all, congratulations for this interesting forum. You can learn a lot here. And of course I come with a problem. I must tell you that I know @#$% about programming and even if I'm given a step by step tutorial I am not patient enough to follow it. So I bought this WD 250Gb (KS) SATAII hard disk thinking that, well, there are some drivers to install but at least I might gain a bit of speed. My MoBo is an Epox 8rda3+ with a Sil Image 3112 controller. First I tried to install a version of WinXP which was already slipstreamed (by smb. else) with the latest mass-storage drivers (he said), including those from Silicon Image. No luck. I got a BSOD. Later I realised that in fact WinXP didn't recognise my drive. I was confused by the fact that XP actually began to load (the three blue dots...) before giving me the BSOD. So I tried to install it with F6 using the original Epox drivers from the MoBo CD. I followed the procedure but I think that they somehow got overwritten with the drivers from the XP CD. Same result. Next, I tried to install a "clean" version of XP and hit F6 and this time it worked though it warned me (uncertified driver). However, as far as I can see, everybody around here is trying to install these drivers directly from the XP CD. I did the same and I used your software DriverPacks BASE and mass storage DP along with other "preparations" which I don't very well understand since I'm not used to this kind of stuff. Finally I managed to burn the CD but the result was the same: BSOD, though I could see in the lower bar that the drivers were processed. Now you may laugh at me but I think that the original Sil Img drivers are the problem (in my case). I need to find a way to include the original Epox drivers in your DP and I hope that you can show me how to do it. Right now I'm also trying another method which requires the modofication of some files but I don't know if it works because it sais that I need at least four driver files including a .cab file which I don't have. Thank you for your patience and I hope you can help me.

Re: Custom DriverPacks... is it possible?

hi

Muiz3 and Bâshrat the Sneaky are working on the sil3112 issue.
my testrig has another sil chip, so i cannot test this.

you could do with Nlite to slip your floppy into the source
then use DPs_base to slip everything but the mass storage.

(the guys are testing with a modified mass storage. something conflicts, and they are trying to finsd out what other driver does this)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Thank you jtdoom. Already merged the drivers with nLite and it worked. Awesome software, don't you think? As for the other of your DriverPacks I still have to check out your forum and learn about them and about nLite before I try anything else. I already ruined about ten CDs trying to figure it out and I suppose there are more to be ruined. Thank you again and good luck with that silicon issue.

hehe, You should use CDRW or DVDRW..
iow, rewritables...

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

maddriver wrote:

Already merged the drivers with nLite and it worked. Awesome software, don't you think?

Definately quite handy indeed.

jtdoom wrote:

hehe, You should use CDRW or DVDRW..

Yeah, absolutely.
That and maybe even use a Virtual Machine to test basic CD functionallity before installing it anywhere.
Doesn't catch any specific hardware related problems but shows you any mayor global problems (for instance with nLite).

Ok, I'll follow your advice. Thank you!