Re: Stand Alone Driverpack utility for all OS (XP, 2k3, 2k8, Vista, Win7)

I have had issues using the new 7zip personally so I havent upgraded that yet....has some bugs so didnt want to add it....was hoping for a new version by now but I guess not.  lol

Sorry for my absence.  I had a business trip then a quick turn into a family vacation in Greece (weather was awesome for April!)  I'll try and find time to run this through the ringer.
Thanks Steve for your contributions!

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

@ mr_smartepants
I understand about being busy.....vacation sounds good right about now.  lol  Glad you had a good time.  Would luv your input and master scripting ability on this.  wink  Instead of complaining like most I try to find some sort of work around till your release of new version.  Anything I can do to help just yell at me and thanks for everyones contibutions here......really is a great site!

Huh?   I am attempting to install drivers on XP-MCE-2005-SP2, yet i receive the error:

"Locating the DriverPacks...
Searching Root folders since DriverPacks were not found in current folder..."
"Error:  The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value
> was unexpected at this time."

I had to pipe the output to be able to view the error.
Note that the path to the drivers was "C\SAD2\NT5\x86"  SAD2 was located in "C:\SAD2"
I see from the switch /H that it is looking for C:/D to contain drivers.
Whilst trying to view the help, i note that it annoyingly closes the command prompt after "any key"
(where's the 'any' key?  tongue).  Had to pipe it to a file to fully view at my convenience.

Trying again with drivers in C:\D

edit:  nope, not working at all, and this is all using LZMA, not LZMA2 - i double checked.  I do not understand.
I did add the readme.txt from former versions.   Is MCE unsupported?

edit2:  i get the same error in v2.5

edit3:  working when i extract the drivers to ..\NT5\x86\  (not in 7z form - not working even w. 7z920 installed)

edit4:  it prompts me before deleting drivers, even though i opted to keep the drivers

edit5: 

"Running the DriverPacks Finisher now!"
..."DPsFnshr.exe - Windows cannot find 'DPsFnshr.exe'."  ...

edit6:  some drivers from DP_Graphics_A, B & C installed ok (those packs were the only ones i attempted thusfar), yet one of my Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family Display Adapters has a Yellow Bang! & complains of "incorrect parameter" when attempting to update.

I have collected DPsFnshr.log, coiinlog.log, DPINST.log & DPsFnshr.ini.  Let me know which ones you need so i can wipe that machine.

Last edited by TechDud (2013-04-15 16:02:29)

wow that is a very strange list of errors....did you edit the script or edit the names of the driverpacks at all?  I havent nor my neighbor who uses this on his family machines have never gotten anything like that but with that said there is always a first.  I havent tried on mce so I cant say for sure about that one....I dont own it either so hard for me to test.  lol  I would like to see all logs and also the script if ya dont mind.  I have just finished with project for school so if you could upload those files, that would be great and thank you.

MCE 32 bit should be supported but like I said before I dont own it nor have I tested it on MCE.

also are you using this in a install os cd/dvd/usb in a $oem$ folder?  if so then I can say I havent touched that part of script but will look into it if that is the case.

as far as the exiting after the any key that hasnt been touched...left it original.

let me say this.....this isnt a rewrite of the orig script but just modified to work some things out hopefully, plus added a few things which benefits me and my neighbor.  I am by no means a master scriptor just thought with what knowledge I do have maybe I could work a few things out till mr_smartepants releases his new version.

Last edited by SteveDun (2013-04-15 18:41:02)

Whoops.  Everything up to edit 3 is likely RTM & edit 5 is definitely GIGO.

False alarm on everything but edit #4.

Last edited by TechDud (2013-04-15 19:26:05)

working on new version now (testing)...

edit 4 dpfinisher deletes all drivers afterwards for nt5 os's even if you want to keep the drivers....will work on that fix (coming soon).
edit 5 is GIGO agreed.  lol

@ mr_smartepants......what about using devcon.exe to do the installs for touchpad or maybe all the drivers since dpinst.exe has some limitations.....even if you cant redistribute it you could provide microsofts site for others to download and add....just a thought.

Last edited by SteveDun (2013-04-16 13:35:47)

I can't remember why we don't use devcon.  I think it's because there's no "automatic" functionality in devcon and I'm just lazy. wink
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311272
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wik … n-exe.aspx

SteveDun wrote:

here is updated version 2.8

Why is your 2.8 compiled to an .exe?

@ mr_smartepants....sounds like when tring to download from upload server you didnt uncheck to use download manager....uncheck that box then hit download and will download the rar file but I have removed the link for now for I am testing new version with corrections in the ktd for xp and some other things I have came acrossed....stand by almost done.  lol

Seems like I created a few problems so going to take my time and work it out....will do more tommorow.

Last edited by SteveDun (2013-04-16 13:35:18)

One pass with SAD2_v2.7 on the original MCE machine with DP_Display_wnt5-x86_1109081.7z
& it worked correctly the first time.  I put the .7z archive into the NT5\x86\ folder.

SAD2 v3.0 Modified version:

Change Log:
:: Added support for Win 8.1 Blue NT 6.3 build 9364.
:: Updated 7-zip32.dll as per request.
:: reg query for InstallationType for non Server OS's could cause error on some systems is now corrected.
:: Updated to new version of Devcon.
:: Additional option to save touchpad drivers if it didnt install the correct one.  Use Device Manager to install it then.
:: Now KTD works with NT5 systems.
:: Added more efficient cleanup routine.
:: Added support for XP MCE rollup 2.
:: Instead of exiting on some error's I changed it to return to the cmd prompt. One for example, when using  /? or /H.
:: Sound effect played in XP would cause script to crash at the end.  Fixed now. 

http://www1.datafilehost.com/d/5c9e51e3

Do Not use the downloader (uncheck the box before downloading)

This is the one I want everyone to test good.  Curious if updating the Devcon might have fixed some install issues.  Post any comments with detailed info please to help in any troubleshooting.  I have tested it on win 7 and xp pro with success.

Supported OS's:
-win xp (x86 only)
-win xp mce
-vista
-win 7
-win 8
-all servers

Updated above link for lowering the count on the progress meter per request to make the script faster and added win 8.1 Blue NT 6.3 Build 9364.

Last edited by SteveDun (2013-04-18 01:18:42)

Hey Steve, sorry I missed the 2.7; just checked back at the forum now. I'll test the 3.0 out as soon as I can.

Question in the meantime, which i'd been wondering for a while.. in the ":Continue" section of the script, it echoes "Verifying..." but then just makes the system wait for 60 seconds. Is there a reason this delay is needed, whilst there is seemingly no other process going on?

Anyway, many thanks for the effort here; i'll let you know once I've been able to give it a good test.

@ thatwill

let me say this.....this isnt a rewrite of the orig script but just modified to work some things out hopefully, plus added a few things which benefits me and my neighbor.

With that being said, the Progress meter mr_smartepants used is still the same only corrected it from crashing on some systems.  I have not re-wrote the script but just added and modified, thus why it is called modified version.  You can remove it if it bothers you that bad.....me I dont care one way or the other.....I just want the drivers to install.  Thats my main purpose for modifing the original script.

Note:  Updated link above (v3.0) with modifications in progress meter for you.

Let me answer another question that comes up often....why does deleting the log files take so long?  This is actually a valid question and I will do my best to answer it.  This is because some scripting methods work in win 8 but wont work in xp and this is one example with the log files.  If I use any other method it will cause the script to crash either on xp or win 8 so in order to find a "working" solution I had to compromise for it to work in all systems.  Now as far as the tech reason as to why, I really dont know.  All I know is that by using this method it works in all systems so I have learned to be happy with it.  lol  Personally I do not delete the log files but others who know it works for them, they like to delete all traces.

Last edited by SteveDun (2013-04-17 11:55:25)

Just created an account to say, I've only recently started using the driverpacks, however since version 2.7, it has worked flawlessly on xp, win 7 x86 and x64, win 8 x86 and x64, and windows thin pc.

Looking forward to testing 3.0 on said systems tongue

I agree with Weidass!

There is something that I neglected to mention earlier, though.

Noting that ACPI\PNP0C31 is potentially a PNPid that could cause data-loss if wrong driver installed.
  I am missing hardware which would allow confirmation of such effect.
Should i start a new public Topic for this?

ATMELTPM.INF is the one most likely to be installed by default as it is newest & WHQL'ed.
  This could conflict with Winbond, STMicro, intel or infineon TPM's.  Complicating things somewhat is the fact that Winbond acquired National Semiconductor's TPM line quite a while ago.  It may share in this potential conundrum and confluence of IP's.
  Atmel may have acquired some IP there as i see that all ID's are shared with intel's TPM driver.
Of course, that is as of yet unconfirmed too.

Would 'User"-input suffice here, were it to be of issue?

paraphrased: 
"A TPM with the HWID "ACPI\PNP0C31" has been detected.
***  Know your chip or extreme data-loss could occur!
  Neither the author or authors, nor the archive's host or hosts will be held responsible or liable!  ***

Press "S" to skip TPM driver installation, or choose chip # (from owner's manual or visual verification):
1. NationalSemi/Winbond TPM 1.1 module    2. NationalSemi TPM 1.2 module   
3. Winbond  TPM 1.2 module            4. STMicroelectronics
5. Intel                            7. Infineon Technologies
8. Atmel Corp.
#

Last edited by TechDud (2013-04-17 15:56:13)

Thats also found in dell and lenovo oem's that I have seen.  Thanks for the info.  There are issues with oem drivers for they are taylord to their needs and uses so they differ from regular manufactures but can have same pnpid as you see.  Gets really tricky.  lol

If you wish to open a new thread, feel free to do so.  Maybe someone else has exp the same or even has the answer.

Last edited by SteveDun (2013-04-17 15:59:37)

updated edit, sorry.  Add in script & never have issue for certain.

How do you discern PS/2 mouse PNP#### manufacturers, for instance?

Last edited by TechDud (2013-04-17 15:58:50)

The script doesnt do any of that....it uses devcon, dpinst and dpsfnshr.  Its totally dependent on their ability to do the installs which as you can see it has limitations.  This is why mr_smartepants is working on a new method which we all await.  lol  I have even looked at filtering but that is so tricky I have not been able to get that working.  Trial and error.  There are some packs I dont use like chipsets and some others for I get those directly from manufacture or oem.  Its just some things still require user interaction.

Update:  Updated v3.0 from above link to support win 8.1 Blue NT 6.3 Build 9364 now.

Last edited by SteveDun (2013-04-18 01:18:55)

SteveDun wrote:

This is why mr_smartepants is working on a new method which we all await.

Am I?  I guess I better get started then! wink

I hope you are.  lol  I gathered from your past post on page 7 that you have some new idea's...

mr_smartepants
I do plan on rewriting most of the code to incorporate improvements I learned while coding the LIU utility for our LinMin sponsors.

Yeah, but I got distracted like a kitten with a butterfly!
I'm not sure whether to start with my old codebase or yours now.  I haven't started comparing them yet.

I remember you saying that you were really busy.  If there is anything I can do to help just let me know.

@ mr_smartepants
I was wondering if you have any plans on adding a windows gui with the script using something like autoit?  I have played with it a little and it is easy to learn.  Would be a nice upgrade to your tool.

Last edited by SteveDun (2013-04-18 15:37:31)

SteveDun wrote:

If there is anything I can do to help just let me know.

You are already doing it!  Thanks.
I wasn't planning on any GUI, but if you feel up to it then go for it.  My original intent was to improve the first SAD script to support NT6 OS's.
I'm going to try and find time today to go through your code line-by-line and see if I can make any improvements.

mr_smartepants wrote:

I wasn't planning on any GUI, but if you feel up to it then go for it.

I will work on it with the version 3.0 in my spare time and touch base with you to get your input.  Of course there might have to be adjustments after you do your magic with the script.  lol

mr_smartepants wrote:

I'm going to try and find time today to go through your code line-by-line and see if I can make any improvements.

Thank you.

Last edited by SteveDun (2013-04-18 17:27:54)