Topic: BARTPE - iastor2.sy_ BSOD - MS WNT5_x86-32_1209

I have been working for a couple of days on a BartPE/UBCDWin4 disk for use on a Dell workstation that is using the Intel IC8HR RAID controller.

Right after it gets to the desktop environment it BSOD with an iastor2.sy_ 0x7B fault.  A member at the 911cd.net forum suggested posting over here.

I have gone through the Dell txtsetup.oem that came with the machine and verified that all HWID's listed in it are present in the mass storage ini.

Of course some of the HWID's in the txtsetup.oem reference different drivers in the ms.ini, but what I find odd is the BSOD is referencing iastor2.sys which is different that what my machine uses, my machine has an ICH8 and that should be the I3 section, not I2. 

Another thing I find odd is the ICH8R HWID is DEV_2822&CC_0104 which in the ms.ini file shows to be I7 (ICH9, 10, etc) and dev_2821&CC_0106 references I6 (also ICH9/10)

I'm a newbie at this so I hope I'm giving proper information.

Re: BARTPE - iastor2.sy_ BSOD - MS WNT5_x86-32_1209

A few more notes on this.  Looking in driver information in XP for the RAID controller it shows the HWID as PCI\VEN_8086&DEV2652&CC_0104

When the machine boots it shows to be an ICH8R RAID controller, however, looking at the Intel txtsetup.oem it shows the HWID to be an ICH6R

Could the issue be that my machine has an 'R' controller in it and there for needs a different driver than the standard ICH6/7/8 without the R?  The driver in Windows is identified as an Intel 82801FR SATA RAID controller, v 6.0.1.1002

It doesn't matter what HWIDS are supported by the Dell driver you have.  What matters when using DriverPacks are the HWIDs of the target machine.
If you have PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2652&CC_0104 then section [I2] is correct and is version 7.0.0.1020.

Moving this thread to the BartPE section...

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

mr_smartepants wrote:

It doesn't matter what HWIDS are supported by the Dell driver you have.  What matters when using DriverPacks are the HWIDs of the target machine.
If you have PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2652&CC_0104 then section [I2] is correct and is version 7.0.0.1020.

Ok, thanks, yes per the HWID tool PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2652&CC_0104 is one of the four HWID's for the 82801FR SATA RAID controller and per the masstorage.ini it refers to the I2 driver but apparently I do have some kind of issue with the I2 driver.

I'm unsure of how to proceed or troubleshoot further at this point.

I ended up making a stripped down BartPE disk with just the RAID driver and NIC for this machine and it works, I'm not sure what the problem is with the mass storage driverpacks and this RAID controller but I'm in business now.

Thanks!

Edit:  could you provide a link to that working driver?

Is it possible that your ICH8 NorthBridge is accompanied by an older SouthBridge?
Mr. Hinchliffe's SIV program lists the general DEVice as:

"82801FR/FRW (ICH6R/ICH6RW) SATA Controller"

Perhaps a "Dimension 8400"?

Any access available to Safe Mode?
  If so, you could conceivably line up a list of drivers in folders to try from Safe Mode; try the whole list.

Maybe it's a long shot, but here's one driver for Intel with that HWid called "LSI MegaRAID IDE" here
It contains "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2652&CC_0104.DeviceDesc= "Intel Embedded Server RAID Technology""

readme wrote:

"Though this driver may work with other versions of Windows, it has been validated with Windows Vista only."
http://downloadmirror.intel.com/15026/e … Readme.txt

Be prepared by backing up any sensitive data, as you may have to reinstall a few times.

Would you be willing and able to run a few tests and report back the results for each driver?
If so, briefly check the install capability for the non-RAID part of your system too; for verification.
Do that what it is that you can; that's been sufficient for most newbs here for the longest time....

I'd like to start the effort to make changes so that this works properly for you and others with similar hardware.

Edit:  Whoops, that should read "I'd like to make myself available to assist, if & when directed, to make changes.."; with respect to mr_smartepants.  My lack of "netiquette" had to be corrected.

Last edited by TechDud (2012-12-22 13:59:16)

lightguy48 wrote:

Ok, thanks, yes per the HWID tool PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2652&CC_0104 is one of the four HWID's for the 82801FR SATA RAID controller

Can you post your entire HWID list?  Tool is linked in my signature.

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

I've been busy with the holidays, when I get a second I will post them.

Thanks!