Topic: Spoof HWIDs?

Is it possible at all to spoof HWIDs?

I wanted to test run the VIA USB 3.0 driver INF in my VM, but it won't let me run it.

or is there a way to force it to run without the hardware being present?

Re: Spoof HWIDs?

Damnation wrote:

I wanted to test run the VIA USB 3.0 driver INF in my VM

Do you use a USB 2 and a USB 3 controller at VMware?

Edit VIA xhcdrv.inf

[VIA.NTx86]
"Fake VMware USB3", xHC_Inst, PCI\VEN_15AD&CC_0C0330
"Fake Intel USB2", xHC_Inst,  PCI\VEN_8086&CC_0C0320

Be aware:
the driver xhcdrv.sys will fail to load at fake hardware

Thanks,

I tested it out, it seems when the driver installs it copies wdfldr/wdf01000.sys to system32\drivers automatically,

so an entry in txtsetup.sif shouldn't be required (if it is not in txtsetup.sif it also means that these files won't be copied onto systems with no Fresco/VIA hardware)

They will still need to be present in the I386 folder of XP source though, to prevent "File not found" errors with XP textmode install.

Damnation wrote:

so an entry in txtsetup.sif shouldn't be required 

They will still need to be present in the I386 folder of XP source though, to prevent "File not found" errors with XP textmode install.

Once again: why do you like to add VIA USB3 drivers?

Do you like to boot from a internal CD drive.
And load VIA USB3 drivers gui mode PNP?

Do you like to install XP from a device attached to a VIA USB3 controller?
What about textmode part? Do you get a BSOD 0x7b that way?
What about first reboot, reading files from a device attached to a VIA USB3 controller?
That's before gui mode PNP driver loading.

Verify this at real VIA USB3 hardware.

Install from USB stick on VIA USB 3 Controller

Will verify next week when I get the real hardware next week (or whenever it arrives)

It has happened 3 times now, 2 times in the last week. I finish playing and I shutdown my computer, then next time I get start my computer I get failed to login and my HWID resets. First time I got an 8 hour wait 2nd time I got a 3 minute wait, now its a 3 hour wait. I'm highly positive my account is not compromised because I changed my password after the second random HWID reset. I only have one computer so I can't be accidentally logging in on other computers.