Topic: [SLVD] New hardware build - does MassStorage Pack include drivers?

New hardware build - does MassStorage Pack include drivers?

ASUS Rampage IV Extreme motherboard (Intel Core i7 LGA 2011)
  Intel X79 chipset built-in:
   2 x SATA 6Gb/s ports
   4 x SATA 3Gb/s ports
   Intel Rapid Storage Technology

2 x ASMedia controller:
   2 x External SATA 6Gb/s ports at rear
   2 x Extended SATA 6Gb/s ports (hard drive only, not ATAPI)

WD SATA III 6Gb/s harddrives connected to Intel 6Gb/s ports
WD SATA II 3Gb/s harddrive connected to Intel 3Gb/s port

System booted > BIOS > EZ Flash Utility used to update BIOS to latest version downloaded form ASUS web site.

Using older system, Easeaus Partition Master Pro v9.1.0 used to create a WinPE bootable flash drive. This flash drive
then inserted into USB 2.0 port 3 and new system rebooted from flash drive > Easeus Partiton Master Pro started and it
was used to partition and format the three harddrives connected as indicated above. (The C:\> drive was made active.)

Again, using older system and the program WinToFlash a bootable flash drive was created that included XP Pro w/SP3
updated using the RyanVM Integrator, the most recent update pack, various addons, WMP11 slipstreamer, and DriverPacks
Base program that included MassStorage_wnt5_x86-32_1202r1.7z.

The new system was booted with the XP Pro flash drive in the same USB port as earlier and the install/setup routine
started. After agreeing to the EULA and opting to install XP the screen that appeared that should have presented a
list of the harddrive partitions created using Easeus was empty - no drives were found (only the flash drive was
shown). This was not expected.

To verify the problem the flash drive was removed from the new system and using the old system and the program
WinFromUSB another bootable flash drive with the same XP Pro w/SP3 was created. The flash drive was again inserted in
the same port on the new system and it was booted. The flash drive was detected, the XP install/setup routine started
and, again, the drives/partitions were not detected.

The Rampage IV motherboard's BIOS default setting for the drives is AHCI mode and I was pretty sure the DriverPacks
MassStorage pack had AHCI drivers included so I did not expect the result I got.

I then booted the new system and went into the BIOS to change the settings from AHCI to IDE. This time I was
successful in detecting the drives/partitions when booting from the flash drive. So, it appears this version of
MassStorage I was using did not include the drivers compatible with this motherboard. Bummer.

The ASUS web site http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/ > Products Category > Intel Socket 2011 > Intel X79 > scroll down to Rampage IV Extreme > locate tab Download > select OS > WinXP > SATA > Asmedia SATA Controller Driver v1.2.2.0 for Windows 32/64/bit etc can be downloaded.

When this download is expanded/extracted a \Driver folder with various subfolders is created. The *.inf file in the
x86 folder does include hardware IDs. I mention this here because I cannot use SaveHWIDs v1.3.exe to get a list of
HWIDs for the Rampage motherboard as no operating system is installed.

Going back to the ASUS web site and changing the OS to Win7 64 bit two SATA downloads are presented. The new one is
Intel Rapid Storage Tech v3.00.2.003. When this one is expanded/extracted and the folders are created one that shows
is \Driver\Disk\32bit and another is \Install\Drivers\AHCI\x32. They both have *.INf files that I'm assumng provide
all the necessary information needed.

I have not yet changed the harddrives from the Intel ports to the ASMedia ports and tried again to boot from the flash
drive to see if detection is successful in AHCI mode.

If the MassStorage driverpack does contain all of these drivers then please let me know that and I will switch from
Intel to ASMedia and try again in AHCI mode.

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_X79 talks about this issue and mentions that motherboard manufacturers may provide their own drivers so I'm posting this and hoping a solution is available using DriverPacks.

Last edited by ChiefZeke (2012-02-28 17:05:13)

http://d1syubgj0w3cyv.cloudfront.net/cdn/farfuture/ajoHKH618C_cS2O6V00_aY3Cse0ggjzP4uxI8Hk5viw/perpetual:forever/userbar/donator-3.png

Re: [SLVD] New hardware build - does MassStorage Pack include drivers?

The drivers you link to are older than the ones that were finalized in dpms 11.11 (and future test packs).
Can you replace the files in the d\m\as\ folder with the ones from the download and confirm the modified pack works?
(let me know if you need me to repackage a test pack for you)

No need to edit the pack .ini.
If it works, I'll revert the drivers to the older ones.

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

ChiefZeke wrote:

Intel Rapid Storage Tech v3.00.2.003.
\Driver\Disk\32bit and another is \Install\Drivers\AHCI\x32.
They both have *.INf files that I'm assumng provide all the necessary information needed.

Driver *.inf does support 2003, XP is excluded.
Driver iaStorA.sys is a storport.sys child driver. Storport is supported at 2003 and up.
Driver iaStorA.sys fails at XP because of missing storport.sys.

HardwareIDs would be nice really.
Do you have a Windows 7 or 8 DVD? Can you boot and extract HardwareIDs?

Do you use a PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1D02&CC_0106 ?

It seems iastor.sys 10.8.0.1003 works at X79 hardware. But you have to adjust install files.
http://www.win-lite.de/wbb/board202-win … ktivieren/

Adjust DriverPack_MassStorage_wnt5_x86-32.ini (try iastor* 10.8.0.1003 and 11.0.0.1032).
And adjust relating *.inf file.

mr_smartepants wrote:

The drivers you link to are older than the ones that were finalized in dpms 11.11 (and future test packs).
Can you replace the files in the d\m\as\ folder with the ones from the download and confirm the modified pack works?
(let me know if you need me to repackage a test pack for you)

No need to edit the pack .ini.
If it works, I'll revert the drivers to the older ones.

I'm a bit upset that the drivers posted at the ASUS web site are 'older' than those directly available from Intel and would require DriverPacks to go backwards - I would rather avoid that option.  I went and checked my Intel folder and found I had downloaded v11.0.0.1032 whql earlier.

I would rather try the ASMedia ports first and see if they allow me to use AHCI mode. No reason to rush things.

http://d1syubgj0w3cyv.cloudfront.net/cdn/farfuture/ajoHKH618C_cS2O6V00_aY3Cse0ggjzP4uxI8Hk5viw/perpetual:forever/userbar/donator-3.png

HardwareIDs would be nice really. 
Do you have a Windows 7 or 8 DVD? Can you boot and extract HardwareIDs?

Do you use a PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1D02&CC_0106 ?

It seems iastor.sys 10.8.0.1003 works at X79 hardware. But you have to adjust install files.
http://www.win-lite.de/wbb/board202-win … ktivieren/

At this time there is not a DVD drive in the new system so a boot to Win7 is not possible. Plus, booting from a Win7 DVD would require a complete installation of the operating system so I could run the Save HWIDs program.

I have no idea what you are refering to: Do you use a PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1D02&CC_0106.

The web site link is in Germany - I do not read/write/speak German.

As I posted to My Smartepants - I will try the ASMedia ports next.

Problem resolved - drive connections moved to ASMedia SATA 6Gb/s connectors, BIOS changed from IDE to SATA,  boot from flash drive, XP setup/install detected drives/partitions.

Hopefully this solves the issue with x79 chipset and XP installing in AHCI mode.

After XP Pro is successfully installed I will try to remember to run the SAVE HWIDS program and provide the asked for information, though it is probbaly unnecssary now.

ChiefZeke wrote:

At this time there is not a DVD drive in the new system so a boot to Win7 is not possible.

Then copy Windows 7 files to a USB drive. Boot from USB.

booting from a Win7 DVD would require a complete installation of the operating system so I could run the Save HWIDs program.

Boot to first install screen, press shift F10 to open command prompt. Run the Save HWIDs program.

I have no idea what you are refering to: Do you use a PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1D02&CC_0106.

Does your Intel mass storage controller uses HardwareID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1D02&CC_0106 at AHCI mode?

The web site link is in Germany - I do not read/write/speak German.

Use a translator software:
core statement: a current iastor.sys works at X79.

Problem resolved - drive connections moved to ASMedia SATA 6Gb/s connectors, BIOS changed from IDE to SATA,  boot from flash drive, XP setup/install detected drives/partitions.

Congratulations, this is a nice work arround.

Hopefully this solves the issue with x79 chipset and XP installing in AHCI mode.

What about x79 chipset motherboards without adddional mass storage controllers?
How to use the chipset controller in that case? No, issue itself is not solved so far.

cdob wrote:

What about x79 chipset motherboards without adddional mass storage controllers?
How to use the chipset controller in that case? No, issue itself is not solved so far.

As far as I'm concerned the issue is solved. I am not planning on acquiring a different motherboard that has an X79 chipset.

Anyone else that does acquire such a board can complain to the board manufacturer because it is their responsibilty to provide such a controller, at least that is how I interpret the Wikipedia comments about Intel's position on the subject.