Topic: [NOT APPROVED] Driver installer app?

Not so much a feature request for driverpacks base but it would be incredibly helpful. If you could look at one of those open source driver updaters out there, maybe improve on their detection a little (even the payware ones tend to tell me I have hardware installed that I dont), and get it to use driverpacks as its source... well that would kick ass.

The windows driver update/installation method is kinda broken, 85% of the time it wont find newer versions of a driver online, defaults to older m$ drivers even when you have WFP turned off etc.

Re: [NOT APPROVED] Driver installer app?

It's too much work for now. We'd need a very powerful server attached to a huge bandwidth internet connection (VERY costly) and it's far from easy to maintain such a system in a reliable way. I think you can imagine the costs of that would prevent me from keeping it donationware only. It'd become payware: it's not doable to keep this alive without bankrupting me. And I don't think many of you would be willing to pay for this, would you?

Founder of DriverPacks.net — wimleers.com

Well, if you left the back-end software open, anyone could host it, maybe some nerd out there has some spare bandwidth (heck even I knew a guy with 2 T1's at his house up till a few months ago). Also have you looked into any of those torrent API's? Awhile back I remember hearing about one being made for programs so developers could integrate it into apps. Understandably most drivers aren't very large so maybe torrents aren't optimal, but its an idea.

Last edited by jdub (2006-09-23 23:52:41)

If I have to use multiple servers, then I also have to code a reliable syncing mechanism - or at least USE one. That'd be yet another task. Plus I cannot oversee the reliablity of those servers, nor the speed. This doesn't make me change my view, I'm sorry.

Founder of DriverPacks.net — wimleers.com

Nono, I mean RELEASE the backend stuff and let other people worry about hosting it. The program would just have the ability to input the server url manually.