Topic: ATA to SATA

I have a PC that has 1 x IDE HD and I am replacing with 2 x SATA drives via a Promise Fastrak TX2300.
Neither of the drives will be in a RAID array.

I cloned the IDE to one of the SATA drives and rebooted, it gets to a certain point and reboots, think its looking for the Promise driver.

Is their a way to install via the driverpacks or some other way the Promise driver.  Bâshrat the Sneaky has a project planned called SAD, that may be an answer, but I need it now (everybody is in a rush)

I can boot with old IDE and install the driver, problem is, all there is in the driver is the sys files and txtsetup.oem.

If there is a way to install from the txtsetup.oem on the IDE then I could clone it to the new SATA drive and every will work just fine (dream on).

Any help would be most welcome and appreciated.

Re: ATA to SATA

If you cloned (through imaging) your Windows to the new hard drive, then it won't work. Windows will still try to load the old driver and you'll get a BSOD. There are however techniques that make it possible to transfer your Windows nevertheless, but they'll involve quite alot of work. I don't know if it would be easier for you to just make backups of all your settings and software and then reinstall it all?

Founder of DriverPacks.net — wimleers.com

Try Acronis... I use it all the time and it works great for drive imaging.
Read Here (Specificly the IDE to SATA section)

~Dave

Last edited by twig123 (2006-09-12 18:37:01)

Try to look here - it should help:
http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/produ … -recovery/

Thanks guys, I ordered the Acronis product to try.

I did fix the problem. Put the old IDE back and installed the promise card, it asked for the driver.
Re-cloned to the SATA and it booted OK.

Thanks for your replies, it's good to find people who care about helping others and sharing knowledge.

p.s. How is the SAD project doing, sounds interesting, I would be willing to Beta.

BigBrit

It's on hold: more important installation platforms to support first (BartPE, sysprep and RIS).

Founder of DriverPacks.net — wimleers.com