Topic: [SOLVED] Making a stand alone driver CD

I am looking at combining at least most if not all the driver packs into a stand alone CD as a universal driver disk. I have done this with a DVD by unpacking all the driver packs, but i would like to be able to keep them compressed in a cab file that windows would be able to search through. is this possible or can anyone suggest a way i can do this?

Re: [SOLVED] Making a stand alone driver CD

Hm, I  know this sounds abstract but how I would do it:

Since I have a DVD-RAM drive, that can be accessed just like a floppy in XP, so I'd use that.
Alternatively, you could use an external HDD or a large enough USB stick.

Before you install, make sure it's plugged into your system.
In the BASE settings, use a custom path for KTD ALL and set it to the appropriate device.
You could also use a second partition/drive and exchange drive letters with your DVD drive (if you want to copy the drivers on a CD/DVD).

There's probably an easier way and this does not leave you with CAB but rather uncompressed files, but this is as far as I can help you smile

A large USB stick might be an option, but the problem is, i do a lot of installs and hardware changes. and not all of the systems have a DVD drive. I know i can split it across several CD's but thats just rather a pain and would be really nice to be able to stick in 1 CD and handle all the drivers. I am not really sure how the windows cab files are setup, i don't think its a strait up search within it i seem to remember reading some where their is a lot more to it then just that.

The easiest method is to slipstream the DriverPacks using method 1 and then copy the \$OEM$\D directory to a CD. Once you've done that, insert this CD into the system you'd like to install the drivers onto. Then execute the following command:

DevPath.exe X:\D

where X is the drive letter of your CD/DVD drive. This way you should be prompted to insert your CD the next time you have to install a driver (haven't tested this approach yet though).

From this basic way of working, you can create a method for your specific needs. If you explain me your installation method in detail, I can help you further.

Founder of DriverPacks.net — wimleers.com

Thank you for your replies to this, but It appears i was not very clear on my intentions for this so i will try and explain it again.

I am using your DriverPacks in systems where i may or my not have done the OS install. If i decompress the driver packs and stick them all on a DVD and updates drivers and tell it to search the DVD it finds nearly everything every time. Say for example computer X gets a new sound card, well rather then finding the drivers for it (which i more then likely don't have with me) i just plop in that nice old DVD and like magic its done. The only problem is not all of the computers i have to deal with have DVD drives in them. I want to stick them all on 1 CD but the size of them uncompressed is to large for a CD. This is why i wanted to CAB them possibly. It wouldn't be any problem actually installing all the drivers to the system, but i am unsure how to do this without slipstreaming them into the install CD.

The slipstreamed version also runs into a lack of space to but i can do an overburn and take care of that. But the question is since it can be compressed into the slipstream can i just pull it out after its been placed in cabs and put just those cabs on a CD?

Trax wrote:

The slipstreamed version also runs into a lack of space to but i can do an overburn and take care of that. But the question is since it can be compressed into the slipstream can i just pull it out after its been placed in cabs and put just those cabs on a CD?

Yep, that's what I was explaining: I was telling you each step you should take to achieve that without having to do everything manually.

Note that each file is CABbed separately. This is necessary for Windows to detect the drivers.

Bâshrat the Sneaky wrote:
Trax wrote:

Yep, that's what I was explaining: I was telling you each step you should take to achieve that without having to do everything manually.

Jup, Bâshrat the Sneaky's method is exactly what you want, Trax.

Take note that Method 1 will actually CAB-compress the driver files (Method 2 uses the much more efficient but less compatible 7zip format).

Should that turn out to be more than what fits on a CD (you could always try buying one of these 99min/900MB discs), then maybe you should invest into that USB stick (1GB are rather cheap to get IMO) or an external USB HDD.

@BST, will this method work in case Windows has already been installed using standard CDs, i.e. no DriverPacks were slipstreamed?

Looks that way smile now all i need is to find a driverpack for modems (silly people and there silly old ways)

fargo wrote:

@BST, will this method work in case Windows has already been installed using standard CDs, i.e. no DriverPacks were slipstreamed?

Well, IIIRC, your goal in this thread (http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=535) thread was to have Windows automatically detect the directory as a driver source.
That will only work with Bâshrat the Sneaky's method I guess.

With the CD of this thread you could only point it to search the CD for drivers.
Not sure what you prefer.

Trax wrote:

Looks that way smile now all i need is to find a driverpack for modems (silly people and there silly old ways)

Have a look at the 3rd Party Driver Packs Forum on the bottom of the main page.
You will find your pack there smile

Helmi wrote:

Well, IIIRC, your goal in this thread (http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=535) thread was to have Windows automatically detect the directory as a driver source.
That will only work with Bâshrat the Sneaky's method I guess.

With the CD of this thread you could only point it to search the CD for drivers.
Not sure what you prefer.

The method in that thread includes makePNF.exe which throws tens of DSP popus. So, if running makePNF.exe is not necessary, then the method described here is better.

fargo wrote:

The method in that thread includes makePNF.exe which throws tens of DSP popus. So, if running makePNF.exe is not necessary, then the method described here is better.

So, closeDSP.exe doesn't work then, or what?

I won't argue about which is better as that is somewhat subjective, however, having Windows adding the path as a defualt driver source certainly does have its advantages if you want to keep manual input at a minimum.

Thank you Helmi.

closeDSP.exe works, but, the whole process consumes quite long time.

When I said the method described in this thread is better, I meant it consumes less time. Both methods run DevPath.exe, so "Windows adds the path as a default driver source". I only want to know if the time taking by makePNF.exe is necessary.

It's NOT necessary. It's just better (it's like Windows does it) and faster (precompiled .infs) in theory.