Topic: Build custom Windows Embedded or similar by using WinPE

Hi there!

I've built some kind of HTPC and I am considering the software I will run on it.

It would be great if there were a way of building some kind of light Windows environment (such as WinPE) with the specific drivers I need for my system and that loads a specific application on start-up. For example, I'm thinking about a light Windows Vista environment that can quickly boot from a CD ROM or even from a USB flash disk, and which automatically launches MediaPortal (or ArcSoft TotalMedia or any other similar application; I've not decided which one yet) after boot, instead of the Windows desktop or the command prompt.

If someone can tell me how I should build such a thing and make a bootable CD or read-only flash disk with that thing (so that the system config never gets corrupted or overwritten), I would be very pleased.

I'm pretty sure it can be done (mainly because there are some laptop models that include light Windows environments from which you can play DVDs or music with no need to load the entire Windows desktop), but I have really no idea on how to begin. I did succeed to mount a WinPE 2.0 live CD, but I don't know how to include my specific drivers on it, and how to make MediaPortal (or any other app) available after it boots.

I have no O.S. installed on my HTPC yet, and I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate on my laptop (which is the one I will use to download or run any needed sotware to prepare what I need).

I know there are Linux live-CDs for exactly what I want to do, but I have tried a couple of them and got plenty of problems. Apart from that, Blu-ray discs are not supported under Linux. And I feel definitively much more comfortable under Windows.

Any help will be really appreciated.
Thank you very much!

Last edited by mazochungo (2010-07-22 02:34:46)

Re: Build custom Windows Embedded or similar by using WinPE

PE is a Pre-installation Environment.  It was NEVER designed to run as a full OS.
Moving to "other"...

MythTV is one of the best of the free software choices out there.  You can get it integrated in an OS like mythbuntu (ubuntu) or mythdora (fedora).
And blu-ray in mythtv is fully supported.
Lots of info here: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/External_Lin … 2F_Distros

If you insist on using a M$-based OS, I can only suggest Win7 Home Premium.  It has the Media Center already integrated and will play well with your laptop.
While you CAN use XP-MCE edition, it's support is waning fast.

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

For an HTPC you can't do much better than the JR Media Center.

http://www.jrmediacenter.com/

Low-cost payware and worth every cent.  Very well thought of on avsforum.

Last edited by newsposter (2010-07-22 09:06:10)

Thanks for your sharing.I like it very much, thanks!!!Thanks for that recommendation.

Mod edit - SPAM / gratutious links removed, with malice. Shame on you.

filthy spammer, yes you.  and your family.  please take it personally.