Topic: McAfee Problem

Boot from a UBCD4WIN DVD. Goto C:\ProgramFiles\Mcafee\DAT and remove the DAT Files
Copy the SVCHOST.EXE from the C:\i386 folder on the DVD to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32

Reboot and dump McAfee and buy a decent Anti? - Maybe look at ESET ???

This worked for me on several PC's

One client called McAfee in India and they had him booting from the XP CD and reloading Windows.
I had to Ghost it and extract his files and redo XP from scratch

p.s. The nightlies worked just fine

Another fix if the PC will boot is the following:

cls
Copy /y c:\progra~1\common~1\mcafee\engine\oldengine\*.* c:\progra~1\common~1\mcafee\engine\
copy /y c:\windows\system32\dllcache\svchost.exe c:\windows\system32\

Re: McAfee Problem

I've been running w/o in-line anti-vir for 2+ years.  No problems/infections.

I do occasional (read: when I feel like it) full scans with malwarebytes stuff and the monthly msft MSRT release.

My only browser is Opera, my only PDF reader is Foxit, my email reader is Time& Chaos Intellect.  I keep my systems and software up to date.

Moved to "other".
Why was this in "news" anyway????

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

Cos I'm brain dead after fixing a bunch of McAfee's screwups.
Talking to "Technical Help" did nothing for my little gray cells.

Thanks for moving it to the correct place.

Stu

Last edited by BigBrit (2010-04-25 09:49:14)

I know a good fix, get rid of McAfee. You are wasting your money by paying for an inferior product while there are so many out there that are free that are actually better. I would recommend Microsoft security essentials, or avs.

SPAM link removed by moderator!

I would suggest you get a new antivirus because you are failing at that, big time. That's the problem with some antiv's, they are so "secure" to the point that they are marking files that are not really harmful. That's what happened to me with Kaspersky. Got rid of it and transferred to Norton. I am not advertising this, it worked for me maybe it wouldn't for you. The point being, get rid of it and get a new one.

I'm a moron.  I can't read the rules and I can't even SPAM these awesome forums properly!