Re: driverpacks.net manual

McStarfighter wrote:

CHMs and / or HTML package (for offline).

I agree.

After some research, it seems the only reliable tool to create a .CHM file AND a website AND a .PDF file from a single source, is this one. The downside is that it costs 300 USD. That would be an amount equal to the amount of donations I got the last three months. In other words: it's too costly.

Unless someone could point me to a cheaper solution, I may in the end still opt for a wiki that requires approval by me if a change has been made - similar to http://unattended.msfn.org/.

Founder of DriverPacks.net — wimleers.com

Heh Bâshrat the Sneaky not sure if this helps but check out this page, it should do what you are wanting it to do and it's free, if you don't mind the initial nag screen on load and the advertising link... And if you decide it's cheaper than $300 smile

http://www.gemini1consulting.com/gemdoc/

@Bâshrat the Sneaky : HelpMaker seems to be the authoring help solution (http://www.vizacc.com/) ... and it's free smile smile.
It makes CHM, HLP, HTML, PDF, DOC ...

@Bashrat -

Did you remove the uAwiki entirely?  I noticed that the changes I made for the GUI version are now gone.  I had pointed people from other forums to that help file so that I wouldn't be posting directions on other forums that could change with file revisions.

If you did, do you mind if I revert back so that people can use it until a new help file is developed?

A8N32-SLI Deluxe, AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 X2 3800+, Corsair TWINX2048-4000PT
eVGA GeForce 7800 GT, Dell 2405FPW 24" Monitor
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum
4 Seagate ST3400633AS 400GB HDD in RAID5, Plextor PX-716A & PX-712A ODD

pyroman1 wrote:

@Bashrat -

Did you remove the uAwiki entirely?  I noticed that the changes I made for the GUI version are now gone.  I had pointed people from other forums to that help file so that I wouldn't be posting directions on other forums that could change with file revisions.

If you did, do you mind if I revert back so that people can use it until a new help file is developed?

What exact changes do you mean? Some changes to the DriverPacks BASE tutorial? I'm very sorry, but the GUI is entirely different, so I don't see the use of actively linking to those pages. You can restore it if you want to, but please put a BIG warning on top of it...

@maxximum & sat_disch: thank you very much! I will take a look at both of them.

Bâshrat the Sneaky wrote:

What exact changes do you mean? Some changes to the DriverPacks BASE tutorial? I'm very sorry, but the GUI is entirely different, so I don't see the use of actively linking to those pages. You can restore it if you want to, but please put a BIG warning on top of it...

I basically rewrote the whole thing for the GUI version.  Take a look at it when you have a chance, I have restored it.

When you have the new guide up please post here so I can make the change in the forums I posted the link in.  This way everyone can use your version when it is done.

hehe big_smile

Thanks for your update!!! smile I didn't expect this. My goal is to write a more complete manual though, with screenshots and all wink smile

Your help is appreciated wink

NP, I did it before I looked to see that you had already started thinking about making a new one anyway.  I've been using your driver packs for years and hopefully you have gotten some donations from the guides I have postedn recently.  I always try to post very minimal information in my guides so that people will actually go to the author's sites and learn all the neat stuff themselves, plus they may pay tribute.

The screenshots will definitely be cool.

OK, the decision is final.

I will be using a CMS that's very comparable with the one at http://unattended.msfn.org/ , in fact it will be of the same author (for those of you who know the 'celebs' of the MSFN forum, it's Alanoll who wrote it!). We're working on it right now.

This means I've chosen for the 'wiki with permissions' concept. You won't notice it's a wiki, though you can submit new pages and changes to existing pages. But they will need my approval before they will be published. It's the best of all worlds: if you think some point is not clearly explained, you can submit the changes you think are necessary. But spammers won't get a chance either.

A PDF version of the guide will also be available. It may not be equally good as a .chm file, but this one is platform independent (Vista will be using a different help file format). And we've got to be realistic: the documentation won't be nearly as big as the one of PHP or so, so the need for a .chm file is also much lower.

3 months late but I print and take my manuals to bed everynight. Only spare time for me. FYI.

An online manual would do best I guess, and is easiest to maintain.

Please use a wiki then everyone can contribute, maybe running Mediawiki.

Whatever format you may decide upon make it so that it is downloadable - like the msfn's pdf format XP customizing  manual - so that one can have it on the screen of one pc while working on the next one.

pmshah wrote:

Whatever format you may decide upon make it so that it is downloadable - like the msfn's pdf format XP customizing  manual - so that one can have it on the screen of one pc while working on the next one.

If it's a simple HTML page, you can always chose to save it as an MHT file so you end up with a single file (as opposed to saving as HTML) which basically serves the same function as, say, a PDF.
Plus, you'll only need a web browser to display wink

with screenshoots make it more clear !!!