Topic: Can it be done? XP Pro SP3 problem

A friend gave me an entirely legitimate copy of Windows XP Pro SP3 but the damn thing is missing the driver.cab file, preventing me from installing any audio drivers (but curiously enough everything else works). Now, is it possible to get a replacement driver.cab file without having to get another CD. Is there any way to fix this without reinstalling windows?

Can it be done?

Re: Can it be done? XP Pro SP3 problem

since posting this i have located the driver.cab file on the CD. for some odd reason it did not install

Is this disc a hologrammed genuine MS disc?
If so, the drivers.CAB should be in its ususal place.

Were there any "file cannot be read" errors during installation?
Even if possible, you should not continue but abort the installation and seek the source of error.
On an original, unscratched disc, this can only mean either ODD failure (dirty lense) or RAM issues (check timings in BIOS and/or scan for defective bits).

Oh and that friend us yours didn't happen to also pass you a license with that copy, now did he, hum?

It's possible this 'copy' was burned at too high a speed.  Slower the speed, the more reliable the burn.

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

Generally, yes, but not necessarily.

Some burners may literally "lose track" if they are somewhat incompatible with the used medium and you are burning at too low speeds.
Faster speed apparently stabilizes the lense or w/e.

In any case, it definitely is worth experimenting with the burning speed as well as different media (brands, manufacturers, types).
Also, I can only recommend doing a read test (verify) on each and every disc burned!
Some burning apps, such as Nero, support this automatically.

@ thepandaman.
Helmi asked wether this is a holographic genuine release, and I somehehow doubt you can ever say yes to that.

You got it from a friend.
I therefore doubt you have a legal key to the original OS that may have been the source used to build the disc you need.
Do you have a legal key?
If you have, is it same OS version and OS type?

Slipstreamed versions can be used with key of original key on sticker if current update on hard disk matches original OS type or can be used as update/upgrade to it, which means  OS on hard disk is same, an update lower or equal to SLipstream and not higher than the slipstream, or lower (retail) or there is no OS on hard disk (oem).
(and SP3 will not upgrade/install on gold.)

I think there is a bad burn, and you got to us for help.
(I hope you did not pay for that gift.)

Last edited by Jaak (2009-01-17 17:26:10)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.