Topic: How to make 2 installation choices, with Drivers/No Drivers

Hi all,

I've been using Driverpacks.net's driver for long time. Every time when I make my own untattended Windows setup CD, I have to make 2 of them. One with the Drivers and one is not. Since, there are still some problems with MassStorage driver packs with some mainboards.
Is there a way to combine them all to one CD instead?
I think I saw someone making a boot menu, asking whether the user want to install a driver or not?
I'm kinda new at this, but I really want to know. It can save my time and resources.

Thank you.

Re: How to make 2 installation choices, with Drivers/No Drivers

Hi

you can help us improving the pack when you tell us which mainboards have not been properly supported, and by giving a link to the drivers you use to install those.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

jtdoom wrote:

Hi

you can help us improving the pack when you tell us which mainboards have not been properly supported, and by giving a link to the drivers you use to install those.

Yeah, it's definately better to fix the problem at its root rather than trying to just avoid the symptoms.

Even if you want to go that route, it would still be smarter to just find out which drivers in DPMS cause the problem for you and kick these out of your CD rather than creating a whole new installation for this case.

And should you still want to do that for w/e reason, I'd suggest creating one with all DriverPacks and one with all but DPMS, then you get at least all the other drivers installed instead of having a totally blank system.

Thx for replyig guys,

I'm totally understand your point. However, I couldn't get the accurate motherboard information for you guys right now.
But don't worry , from now on I'll report any error to the Massstorage pack if I found one

Thank you

Last edited by SoKoOLz (2007-06-29 14:42:10)

still not a bad idea, because it could be anything, perhaps a sound driver, videro driver, or perhaps a driver but no knowing which one is causing a problem,

having a all in 1 cd is quite a good idea, ecspecially if one has a tight time limit getting a system setup,

one solution is of course using cd-rw's, but many many drives don't like installing from these, usually get massive slow downs, and if it's a old drive, then usually one gets a error at some point about a file can't be read,

i like you also need to create 2 CD's aswell, although i'm learning to create a network install version, and i've already learnt how to do PXE booting (PXE booting took a while to learn but i got there)

gets worst, because i have to create cd's for

windows xp retail w/out drivers
windows xp pro w/out drivers
windows xp OEM w/out drivers,
& windows 2000 pro w/out driverpacks (but this don't get updated that much as not needed that much, usually for old laptops with 200MB memory or less)

so 6 cd's really i need to create, would be nice to of got that down to 3, but like i said i'm learning the network option now, which will also allow me to install off a hard drive if i do need to be called out, (thanks to the help from this post http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=2502)

still, having this multi cd version could be useful (even PXE Booting is not 100% to work, because of some bad PXE firmware's around) and would cut down on cost, and of course help out global warming hehehe

i think the hard thing would be, the bootsector on the CD, as windows cd use there own coustomized boot block which then calls for the relevent script (just a theory, not to sure if this is right)

Last edited by Registered (2008-04-02 07:57:13)