Topic: New site - status

I'm waiting for Drupal 6. There, I said it. Too many things that will be Drupal 6 only, which I can no longer ignore. In particular, the Views module, which is a query builder, is something I will *need* for the API. Views 2, which will be for Drupal 6 only, has the ability to have a different "root table" than the currently hard-coded "node" table (in which Drupal stores all basic info for each content type, like the title, author and body).

In the mean time, I'm improving what I've already built. In particular, my Hierarchical Select module has been rewritten to allow multiple selection (I'll post a demo later). This is something that will be greatly appreciated by you, I'm sure smile I've updated my Tabs panel style plugin for the Panels 2 module, which will definitely be used to be able to rapidly rearrange content on DriverPacks.net. In practice, this means we don't have to rewrite XHTML or CSS to change the lay-out or add new pages whenever necessary.
Today, I've finished my CDN integration module. A CDN is a Content Delivery Network. It's basically static file servers on steroids: they have servers all over the planet and allow super fast downloads. This means the next DriverPacks.net will load superfast, wherever you're living on this planet!

Drupal 6 will be released somewhere in the next month probably. Views 2 should be too. During that time, I will start porting my modules to Drupal 6.

Founder of DriverPacks.net — wimleers.com

Re: New site - status

Related to the CDN, does this mean you'll have the driver packs on servers throughout the world (eventually) and then it'll choose the closest one to download them from?  I'm interested in helping mirror files if needed, as always.  If it will work differently, please let me know as I'm interested.  smile

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/LittlBUGer/Sigs/LittlBUGer_Sig.jpg
http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style5,LittlBUGer.png

No, the CDN will only be used to speed up the website itself. For file distribution, Amazon S3 will probably be used, taking advantage of its built-in Bittorrent support. At least individual drivers will be. I may consider a different strategy for DriverPacks though. But "DriverPacks" will have a different meaning by then: it will be an automatically packaged set of drivers. Updates will be granular, thus require virtually no bandwidth, thanks to the DriverDB (which will be served from Amazon S3, as mentioned before).

Thanks again for your offer though. I will keep it in mind.

Founder of DriverPacks.net — wimleers.com

Bâshrat the Sneaky wrote:

No, the CDN will only be used to speed up the website itself. For file distribution, Amazon S3 will probably be used, taking advantage of its built-in Bittorrent support. At least individual drivers will be. I may consider a different strategy for DriverPacks though. But "DriverPacks" will have a different meaning by then: it will be an automatically packaged set of drivers. Updates will be granular, thus require virtually no bandwidth, thanks to the DriverDB (which will be served from Amazon S3, as mentioned before).

Thanks again for your offer though. I will keep it in mind.

Customized and automated DP's ? ... w00t big_smile.

R.

Very Impressive! smile

Anything new here? An update would be great smile.

R.

Last edited by dnoiz (2008-09-06 02:28:17)