Topic: DriverPacks & nLite - in what order?

I'm trying to make a well updated XP of mine, I've an XP version right after SP2 was released, so all the updates after the released have been downloaded by "Windows Updates Downloader". I also have custom install with several applications through "$OEM$" directory in the source.

But everytime I've combined DriverPacks Masstorage drivers and updates intergration with nLite i always loose the "OOBE" (Out Of Box Experience) and automatically logon as admin with no network connection and Windows classic theme, but this is only with both software.

I've tested these steps and still have no clue what i should do to get around it and I'm not gonna play in the registry to automatically create my account.

-------------------------------
Downloads all the necessary updates from "Windows Updates Downloader".
Integrate all the updates through nLite.
Automatic Installation with only key integration (nothing else is touched).
Settings/Options (I'm using the swedish version so bear with me, it's the field ritght below automatic) with patched TCP/IP, UxTheme, USB Hertz (1000) and disabled file protection (it's annoying).
Integrate Masstorage drivers with DriversBASE and set the drivers with text mode support.
Creates a bootable ISO.
Testing it with VMware.
-------------------------------

Now everything is up-to-date, both with DriverBASE (7.0.5.2) and masstorage (7.09) as well nLite 1.3.5

Re: DriverPacks & nLite - in what order?

You're loosing OOBE because of nLite.

Open your winnt.sif and/or your UNATTEND.TXT files inside the i386 directory on your CD.  This should be at the top:

[Data]
    AutoPartition=1
    MsDosInitiated="0"
    UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[Unattended]
    UnattendMode=ProvideDefault
    OemPreinstall=Yes
    UnattendSwitch=No
    TargetPath=\WINDOWS

[GuiUnattended]
    OemSkipWelcome=0
    OEMSkipRegional=0
    EncryptedAdminPassword=NO

The important parts here are UnattendedInstall, UnattendedMode, OemSkipWelcome, and OEMSkipRegional.

If you change the unattendmode value to something like FullUnattended then you lose OOBE.  You might also loose OOBE if you use DefaultHide and ReadOnly as well).  Likewise if you change OemSkipWelcome to 1, you will skip OOBE.  If you make OemPreinstall no, then your $OEM$ folders won't be copied.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodte … 1ch01.mspx

Good luck.

Last edited by TigerC10 (2007-09-10 07:44:33)

~TigerC10~

TigerC10 wrote:

You're loosing OOBE because of nLite.

Open your winnt.sif and/or your UNATTEND.TXT files inside the i386 directory on your CD.  This should be at the top:

[Data]
    AutoPartition=1
    MsDosInitiated="0"
    UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[Unattended]
    OemPreinstall=Yes
    UnattendSwitch=No
    TargetPath=\WINDOWS

[GuiUnattended]
    OemSkipWelcome=0
    OEMSkipRegional=0
    EncryptedAdminPassword=NO

The important parts here are UnattendedInstall, UnattendedMode, OemSkipWelcome, and OEMSkipRegional.

If you change the unattendmode value to something like FullUnattended then you lose OOBE.  You might also loose OOBE if you use DefaultHide and ReadOnly as well).  Likewise if you change OemSkipWelcome to 1, you will skip OOBE.  If you make OemPreinstall no, then your $OEM$ folders won't be copied.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodte … 1ch01.mspx

Good luck.

Hi!

Though i set everything as good i could, i still get passed OOBE. These are my settings:

WINNT.SIF wrote:

; Generated by nLite 1.3.5

[Data]
Autopartition=0
UnattendedInstall="Yes"
MsDosInitiated=No

[Unattended]
UnattendSwitch="No"
OemPreinstall="Yes"
OemSkipEula="Yes"
FileSystem=*
WaitForReboot="No"
NoWaitAfterTextMode=1
NoWaitAfterGUIMode=1
DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
NonDriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

[SystemRestore]

[GuiUnattended]
OemSkipWelcome=0
OEMSkipRegional=0

[Components]

[UserData]
ProductKey="censoredkey"

[RegionalSettings]
Language= "041d"

[Networking]
InstallDefaultComponents="Yes"

[GUIRunOnce]
command9="%SystemDrive%\DPsFnshr.exe"
"%systemroot%\Temp\install.cmd"

To add, does integration with IE7 and it's updates matter? I had an issue months earlier where the IE7 couldn't integrate well with nLite (if it's related that is) until 1-2 monhts ago, it got soemwhat fixed. But i wouldn't doubt there could be conflict somewhere nowadays.

I also tried replace "DefaultHide" with "ProvideDefault" but it got somehow reversed, i don'tk now any other settings well suited.

Edit:

Wait a minute: My settings are even changed, how that happened i dunno. Ignore this post while i check around.

Edit2: Alright here's my settings, but still got passed OOBE.

Last edited by ohem (2007-09-10 10:28:50)

The official IE7 installer doesn't integrate via standard methods properly (I think there is a lack of appropriate icons for some things).  Same with Windows Media Player 11.  However the issues with IE7 don't affect the install of the OS - but rather the actual install of the product.  The reason is that they depend on Windows Installer 3.

You need to use an IE7 Addon from the RyanVM.net forums.  I like to use the alternative pack, but that's just my personal preference.

Well, winnt.sif gets used by CD based installs, unattend.txt gets used by remote installs.  The reader for this file is very limited.  In some cases, it doesn't matter what you put in the line - as long as it's not the default it will do the other thing.  Be sure you change both winnt.sif and unattend.txt just in case (they should be identical).

Also be sure you've got the order right.  I've noticed you've got the UnattendSwitch and OemPreinstall flip flopped.  I don't think that this could cause a problem, but with such limited parsing of the file it is possible that getting them out of order could pose a problem.  See the link I posted to get the correct order of things.  I think there's a program out that will generate this file for you properly, but I can't seem to locate it.  If I find it again I'll post it for you.

However, you've got the order of the tools right.  It's just this OOBE problem.  I recommend posting at the MSDN forums, they're probably more familiar with the OOBE problem (it's very fragile - breaks easily on windows install disks).

Last edited by TigerC10 (2007-09-10 14:21:59)

~TigerC10~

Sorry for the late post but I've been trying many alternate ways. As of now I'm desperate asking this:

Could you (or another feel like doing it) do the same procedure as i have? I guess if you follow the same procedure as me, there's at least one chance you'd experience the same problem.

I also didn't recieve any relevant answer to my problem in MSFN, also it's hard to find anyone with the same problem: Their search isn't really the best one.

I have noticed that sometimes it is the end of line characters that screws up the winnt.sif file.  Here's my exact winnt.sif file, minus a couple entries for legal reasons.  It is a perfectly valid file, verified to have started OOBE.  It also has the modification from DriverPacks, so if you want to use it on a non-driverpacks CD you have to delete the very last two lines yourself.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/gfvdaw

If you can't get OOBE with this winnt.sif file, then double check to make sure you didn't remove OOBE in the components of nLite (if you choose to slim down your install disk, OOBE is among the first things to go).

~TigerC10~