Topic: So that's where I've been...

Hi everyone!

I thought it'd became time to let you guys know something... since you all seem to be wondering where I've been: some of you may think I'm dead, others might think that I've just stopped working on this endless project and again others may think I have gone gaga after switching to Mac.

Well, you're all wrong.

Truth is that I said I would be starting to work on the DriverPacks again around the 20th of June at the earliest. Unfortunately, my school seemed to have planned several things I did not know about. I didn't have the time to focus on the DriverPacks again.

Then I started my summer job, on July the 1st. Again busy. But I started coding nevertheless. One week later, I had finished a completely new 'finishing touch', now called 'DriverPacks Finisher'. In the past weekend I've modified the code for the GUI to be multilingual. And at this very moment I am further modularizing the GUI, to reduce the complexity of the code (which can truly be called complex and often far from straightforward, to accomplish certain things) and to allow for easily adding new slipstream modules.

Yes. That was/is the actual goal: new slipstream modules. But before doing so, I wanted to have the other code to be much more modularized than it is now. Once this is complete, I'll be able to add new platforms in the blink of an eye... kind of.

That last one, the modularization of the GUI, has proved to be more complex than I first anticipated... so it's taking a bit more time. But I think I can put the beta online by next wednessday, in exactly one week. I consider a beta as a necessity when there's such a significant change in the entire application.

Instead of spending alot of time on the forums, which is rather timeconsuming, it made more sense to me to just focus on coding the new features. And I'm sure you're going to like it smile

P.S.: yes, I did 'make the switch'! A MacBook Pro 17", with 2GB of RAM. That does not mean I'm swimming in the money like Scrooge McDuck: I've payed every single euro myself. I've had a nice discount, else this wouldn't have been possible. The major part is payed by the money I earned through the last summer jobs I had. But also a significant, yet minor part, was paid thanks to the people who donated to me. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
This laptop will be extensively used for the next 4 years: for my studies. And of course for the development of the DriverPacks. Parallels runs smoothly with the 512MB of RAM I've assigned to it. The 2GB of physical RAM results in a very responsive system. This works so much more efficient! THANKS AGAIN!

Wim Leers

Founder of DriverPacks.net — wimleers.com

Re: So that's where I've been...

It's good to hear things are going well for you, Bâshrat. smile

I can understand the new time constraints, and I still find it amazing that you can find the time to work on the DriverPacks regardless.  I'm currently settling into a new job and can hardly find time to do anything besides eat, work, and sleep.

That being said, I haven't had much time to test your GUI slipstreamer, but I think it's a vast improvement visually and it appears to be much more functional.  I'll patiently wait to see what else you have planned for it.

You're more noble with your donations than you need to be, in my opinion.  I fully expect donations to be spent on a whim when given toward a personal project, but it is nice to know that you use them to improve upon yourself and your studies.

Keep up the great work and have a beer on me.  wink

Patience is a virtue. For everyone who can't wait for any updates or MORE driverpacks :-)

I'd rather see an update of the driverpacks (pretty outdated with no support for the AM2 socket mb's en new intel cpu mb's and nVidia videocards).
Because that's what its all about... I understand Bashrat want's the integrator/finisher to be perfect.. but functionally, they just have to integrate, do the job the batchfiles did... for the users, the .7z files are the most important. So it's the functional part that counts most for me. once integrated, I don't care about the integrator.
But ofcourse I'll wait patiently.

Last edited by zilexa (2006-07-17 02:05:29)

It's about perfection. But it's more about supporting more installation and hardware platforms wink

Just to let you know... the next version will not be finished today. A couple of days later. Due to unforeseen circumstances in my life and due to the extreme weather (35 degrees Celsius in the shadow!).

It'll be worth the waiting! wink

Good luck my friend, really wish you all the best

Bâshrat the Sneaky wrote:

due to the extreme weather (35 degrees Celsius in the shadow!)

That is an argument though.
Same temps and weather conditions over here and I wouldn't dare to start any slipstream processes now either ;P

Look forward to that Bash & all the best to you.

Cheers
MC.

The Man from Oz

You guys have it easy, I live in Bakersfield, California.

Today's high is expected at 43c or 110f, overnight 32c or 90f

We have air conditioning and fans and I still would not attempt doing any DP work.

Good luck to you all, find a nice cool pub and enjoy a few beers.

in some countries daily temps above 30 are normal.. still people work! Even outside, on the land, road etc.
not even inside a house with a fan or airco.
so we spoiled people shouldn't complain that much tongue

Last edited by zilexa (2006-07-23 05:41:11)

Yep, SoCal is literaly BLAZING right now.

So, well, I had to do another DP because one of my comps started to give my sh*t sort of and I needed to include some drivers that aren't covered with the official DriverPacks yet...

Anyway, I waited until 10pm before I even turned the PC on so it was a small hours job but worked out fair enough.

Not only is it too hot during the day, I'd also rather spend my time outside than in the house wink

hi

U verdient een pluim.
Een grote, ze kan u wat koelte toewaaien.

Jaak, Eeklo.

(Hats off to this guy...)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

jtdoom wrote:

U verdient een pluim.

Haha, I don't think that will suffice regarding those temperatures wink

But better than nothing, I guess big_smile

Helmi wrote:
jtdoom wrote:

U verdient een pluim.

Haha, I don't think that will suffice regarding those temperatures wink

But better than nothing, I guess big_smile

Nice one smile

The GUI framework is finished, just a few tiny bugs left to squash. Additionally, the entire structure has had some changes (mostly relocations), to make the code more maintainable, and in particular extensible: lots of new platforms (both destination OS and slipstream platforms) are to be added during the next months.

6.07.1 b1 will probably be put online tonight. Previous beta testers will automatically have access to the beta forum (and thus to the beta), others who would like to participate, please let me know here (if you're not yet registered at this forum, please do so then).

The most important things to test: the (revised) GUI (should work just fine) and the brand new DriverPacks Finisher.

P.S.: if the multiboot GUI (+internal changes) is not yet finished by tonight, then it will be in beta 2 (tomorrow most likely).

Can I be a tester Bâshrat the Sneaky?

Im planning on ReInstalling and AVG Free wont let me use DriverPacks Base

Last edited by ricktendo64 (2006-07-25 05:10:02)

Bâshrat the Sneaky wrote:

6.07.1 b1 will probably be put online tonight. Previous beta testers will automatically have access to the beta forum (and thus to the beta), others who would like to participate, please let me know here (if you're not yet registered at this forum, please do so then).

I'd hereby like to let you know my interest in participating as a beta tester smile

Not sure if it will cool down enough for me to do exaustive testing, but if it does, I'll surely create another disk to try on my testing rig. big_smile

I COULD have put it online today, but I decided not to, so I can run some tests myself tonight and tomorrow. The slipstreamer has not yet been tested AT ALL with after all these changes, and I'm quite sure there will be some major blocking bugs - which would make testing problematic tongue.
Many unforeseen things happened today, which resulted in only 3.5 hours of time to spend on the DriverPacks... else it would have been finished by tonight.

So... one more day of patience and thy shall receive!

P.S.: I HAVE completely debugged the new GUI now smile Changing languages or platforms works snappy smile

hi

can beta test on a "erasable" system with drive trays.
I just about always have a test rig on hand, and can actually do this on quite a few windows versions thanks to that msdn package the mvp people were so nice to ship me...
There are some extra blanco drives to run tests on, so why not?
Will have a few days off soon.
I know I can learn a LOT more about this.

twee vliegen in een klap, als het ware.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

You've all three been added to the group of beta testers.

I'm currently still testing it myself though. It seems the slipstreamer is partially broken (the GUI is completely debugged as far as I can tell), it crashes during the PREP process. I should still get it online, but it might become late tongue

Just to let you know that I'm not delaying it AGAIN.

Forgot to post it here, but 6.07b1 is online! Check it out here (only accesible for Beta Testers and 3rd party developers).

I'd like to be on the beta tester smile

I make UA_XP cd for every version. Home, Prof, and MCE .. if that helps

larciel wrote:

I'd like to be on the beta tester smile

I make UA_XP cd for every version. Home, Prof, and MCE .. if that helps

You are now wink

can i be a beta tester also smile