Topic: othere platforms left over

It looks like about 6MB of windows 9x drivers are left over when intergrating in to the xp platform, 4MB for win2k and 2MB for 2k3. Or is this simply the authere of the drivers that did not update there file names and folders?

Re: othere platforms left over

Where are they left over and what packs are you referring to?

Could be an oversight.
Please cross-check with the supported devices (http://driverpacks.net/DriverPacks/overview.php) and post in the appropriate DP forum if applicable.

Dell e-Help button (D\C\D) has a win9x folder
D\L\3\1 has some w9x*.* files, theas might be for othere platforms as well, but should probably be schruteniced
D\L\3\4 also holds some *9x*.* files witch seams to be specificaly for win9x
D\L\X\1 has ndiw9x.dll

thers also some files in D\W\* that has 9x in there flie namse but i can't be shure if this is pointing to win9x or the product name.

\D\C\I, D\C\S, D\C\V contains a 2k and 2k3 folder as well as an xp folder

D\M\H\6 contains a 2k3 folder

D\W\A\1, D\W\A\2, D\W\SM\4, D\L\NV\12\PreNRM, D\L\NV\3\PreNRM contains a winxp and win2k folder

D\W\SE\2 contains a win2k folder

theres also a roun 143 aditional files with 2k in there name that i do not know if are product name or platform names.

D\M\H\8, D\M\L\5 has 2k3 files

D\M\H\6 also has a 2k3 folder

I don't get much more then the device name form comparing this to the device list witch is preaty usless in this case, i would need somthing tha listed the purpos of every file more or less.

Last edited by AJenbo (2007-08-06 08:20:59)

AJenbo wrote:

I don't get much more then the device name form comparing this to the device list witch is preaty usless in this case, i would need somthing tha listed the purpos of every file more or less.

Well, we don't have that as far as I am informed.

While a good documentation of any changes, relations and dependancies is the 101 of teamwork, ours isn't that comprehensive.
It's probabaly also more than you'd ever need, normally.

It's quite possible some of these are long-time leftovers (can happen when a driver does not get updated a long time) or pure oversight during a stressful small hours session of our Driver Team work horses.

I'm sure you will excuse some unneeded files here and there as long as all the needed ones are in place big_smile

Well said, Helmi smile

Founder of DriverPacks.net — wimleers.com

Hi

2k, win2K, or 2k3, win2k3 subfolders and files that are needed for those platforms are kept.
Windows 98/ME files can be referenced in an INF (Windows Driver Model), and just take space.
Removing them, could cause an error and (I, personally) do not think it is worth the time to edit all the INF files so that references to unused files are removed.
One error while manually doing so can ruin the driver.

There are still some driver folders where the process of feedback has not given the current team cause to look at them.
(we inherited some).
One of the more recent efforts is aimed at reducing redundant duplicates, and the way the team works is not really >Barny does mass, Fred does Lan, William does Modem, and Lucy does the noodles.

Feedback about errors is always welcome.
Tell us where, somebody will probably look.
If it caused a serious error, and you tell us, it will get noticed.

There is more than one team member with 'look up recent' or 'look up unanswered' in bookmarks.
(these links are also in the bottom of the forum page)

@ every body. Do NOT forget to subscribe to a topic you posted in.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Jaak wrote:

@ every body. Do NOT forget to subscribe to a topic you posted in.

...or make sure to visit each topic marked with "new posts" on your next visit (as I do).

That way, I don't get spammed with mail but I (hardly) miss any relevant replies wink

Same here tongue thoug i do subscribe to topic that are very importand to me.

Yeah it's not a bit deal about theas few extra files just thourght that i would make a note of it.