Topic: FEEDBACK: Ideas concerning nLite and driverpacks

This is addressed to Bashrat since I cant find his email.

I like that you've added the GUI, much more pleasant to work with than the scripts. Though as a user of nLite and someone out to create an ultimate windows XP install CD, it occurred to me that it would be time saving if you could get in cahoots with nuhi and work out some sort of stage in the nLite process to integrate driver packs.

On the sound driver packs: have you considered making one pack for built in sound solutions and another for cards? Your current setup is very close to that already and this way seems better as it conveniently splits the packs into a physical decision (do i have a built in card? will i add one? will this CD be used for a comp that has one?) once the person answers those 3 questions they dont have to worry about the other pack.

You might want to rethink your driver update/cataloging method. Don't get me wrong I love that you've singlehandedly collected most drivers anyone could want, but have you though about how draining and inefficient that is? You not only have to find them all yourself but you also have to constantly get the new ones and update them, and of course update the driver packs in turn. You've gotta admit that someday you won't want to do that anymore and most Bâshrat the Sneaky driver pack users will kinda be left hanging (obviously its not that incredibly hard to do but unless SOMEONE keeps things up to date).

One idea I had was to create a program or website where people could, following guidelines, submit drivers which could then be added to the packs which could be released weekly or something. Another advantage of adding a layer like this would be driver rollbacks, if a driver was found to have issues you (or if you made this open someone else) could just select the previous driver instead of the problematic one and the decision could automatically be made apparent in the pack content list. Something like this would also give the ability to filter by other criteria such as WHQL certification. At any rate you wouldn't be responsible for hunting down the latest driver releases and ensuring that your packs are up to date.

Also if you DID get something with nLite worked out and you DID create this user-dependant-submission-interface working it could give people the ability to just select the drivers they wanted for their own computers and then have an install disc customized for that computer (not practical I know but some people might want it).

Another idea is to change the driverpack distribution model to a bit torrent based system, if you integrated a basic BT client into your driverpacks BASE users could ensure they had the latest packs on hand with the click of a button and your bandwidth needs would drop considerably (you could even use some other tracker than your own).

Last edited by Bâshrat the Sneaky (2006-07-26 03:31:14)

Re: FEEDBACK: Ideas concerning nLite and driverpacks

If nothing else I really think Bashrat, RyanVM and nuhi with nLite should get together and consider creating something that would remove the need for your guys to be so vigilant about things that will be updated for years to come (drivers, windows xp updates etc) if you guys could create a program much like nlite, a user could keep their ultimate windows xp cd up to date with a few clicks.

h*ll with the right settings file they could have one click update their driver packs, get the latest post SP2 update pack, the latest update pack addons (packs that can be nLited that install applications automatically) and all the little tweaks nLite lets your do all at once. Then it could spit out an ISO image for burning that would, well, be silly awesome for the end user and all you guys would have to do is manage your own areas of expertise. I'd bet that with your combined knowledge you guys could pull it off, or if nothing else learn a few interesting things from each other.

Anything to say? Any comments at all?

You have a point, and I believe Bâshrat is already working toward that with the DriverPacks.  Siginet is making inroads in that department as well with the RVM Integrator that could possibly be used for the Update Packs themselves; he already has an addon that updates itself at integration time.  I don't know nuhi's plans regarding such functionality.

Last edited by 5eraph (2006-07-09 04:39:11)

On that note... Can you guys help a newbie out for a sec? I have figured out how to use Ryam VM and NLite. I also have a copy of XP w/sp2 slipstreamed. What is the "Magic" process I would use to use all 3 - DriverPacks, RyanVM, and nLite?
In other words, if size is not an issue what order do I need to use to set up my ultimate cd? RyanVM first? DriverPacks BASE(method 2) second? NLite third? For instance, will running nLite after BASE corrupt my BASE slipstream and/or winnt.sif?

ANY help is GREATLY appreciated!

Nlite first (along with RyanVM, ive never had any issues doing that), then driver packs using Bâshrat the Sneaky Base GUI.

jdub wrote:

Nlite first (along with RyanVM, ive never had any issues doing that), then driver packs using Bâshrat the Sneaky Base GUI.

Jup, whatever you do, DP BASE should be the last thing before creating the ISO.

If you don't want to use RyanVM via nLite (I don't see why, it's the most convenient way to get things done), use it first, then nLite.

I'm using the German version of Ryan's packs (created by Sereby) and I also always integrate them with nLite (along with other packs, such as .NET, DirectX update, Java etc.), never had an issue so far.

Helmi is correct.  If you use both the RyanVM Integrator and nLite then the Integrator always comes first and DriverPacks always last.