Topic: Intel SigmaTel HDA

I'm sure this relates to all the recent posts here about Dells with SigmaTel HDA not working.  In my case it's an Intel DG965RY motherboard.  Here's my device info:

Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio
This device is working properly.
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_284B&SUBSYS_21138086&REV_02\3&61AAA01&0&D8

SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7618&SUBSYS_80862113&REV_1002\4&1BF2AD82&0&0201

If I download and install 5.10.5258_MSXP_W_STACGUI_HDFP.exe everything works fine.  Please be aware, this is for cases with HDA-compliant front panel audio.  If the case has AC97-complaint front panel audio (AFAIK most OEM cases still are), Intel wants you to use 5.10.5258_MSXP_W_STACGUI_AC97FP.exe instead.

If you need any further information, or testing, please let me know, I'd be more than willing to help.

Re: Intel SigmaTel HDA

I am also working on an Intel D946GZIS and it's affected by this bug.  Downloading the Intel driver Jason points to and running it from the desktop solves the problem.  I tried decompressing the files and running the setup.exe with the /s switch during RunOnceEx during windows setup but it did not work. 
Unfortunately, this is a quick-turn-around case for me so the hardware is going out the door tonight.  I've pulled the HWIDs and the driver files (using Siginet's drivergrabber) and I'll be working on a fix.  No promises though.

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

I did another new install on the same system with the previous version of Sound A/B and it works fine!  Does this make sense?

I'm wondering though, if Intel seems unable to create a single installer that can be compatible with both AC97 and HD front panels, will it be possible for DriverPacks to do so?

I installed again last night using a test driverpack I built just for this machine and it installed perfectly.
I'll be doing a comparison between the release DP and my DP to look for bugs in the next few days.

I should have a spare one of these systems available at any time to test with.  If there's any other grunt work I can do, I'd be glad to help.

Somewhat unrelated, I tried the current Sound A/B on an Intel D945GCCR with Realtek HDA (but AC97 front panel) and it works fine.

Yeah, Intel could have made this so much easier.
Basically you have four download choices from their website:
front panel audio: Realtek AC'97
front panel audio: Intel HDA
and
SigmaTel control panel
Intel control panel

uugggghhhh.  sad

I'm making progress though. But I think we're going to have to restrict the DP to only using one control panel and one front audio option for now.

mr_smartepants wrote:

I'm making progress though. But I think we're going to have to restrict the DP to only using one control panel and one front audio option for now.

Either that, or introduce another user choice in the BASE à la ATi CP/CCC.
I'm not sure whether you could use both Intel and Sigmatel CP at the same time (unlike the CP/CCC situation).
So far, I have always installed the Intel one on appropriate mobos since the board itself was from Intel so why not use their CP, right? wink

As for the front panel, I'm not even sure how to differeciate between the two...
Isn't that just a break-out box for the connector found on the mobo anyway?
So, one would assume if the on-board SC was HDA, so would be the FP somehow...

Intel should certainly have some sort of guide on how to tell, I for one definately cannot by the outward looks of it.

Helmi wrote:
mr_smartepants wrote:

Maybe at a future date.  For now, let's just concentrate on getting it working.  smile

Helmi wrote:

As for the front panel, I'm not even sure how to differeciate between the two...

I can't tell the differences either.  hmm
I'm guessing that the panel itself had some "HD" indicator on it.  My case (and the client's case) doesn't have any markings at all on it.  His machine worked fine using the AC97 front panel install with the Intel CP so that's what I'm getting together for now.  If we want to add the choice functionality in a later DP (can o' worms if you ask me) then we can add that into the DPbase and an ini.

I'll upload a test maybe tomorrow or Sat (I'm swamped at the moment).

OK, I'm going to need some help here.
I have a DP that's working fine but only loads the drivers, not the control panel (either Intel or Sigmatel).  In order to load the control panel correctly, an ini edit is required.
So far I added an 'I' subfolder to D\S\S\ for "Intel".
I'm thinking something like this (WARNING, untested):

[S-I]
; REQUIRED
exc_count		= 1
; OPTIONAL
exc_1_tagFiles	= 1
exc_1_tagFile1	= "%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\sthda.sys"
exc_1_+hwids	= 0
exc_1_-hwids	= 0
exc_1_+infFiles	= 1
exc_1_+infFile1	= "%DPSROOT%\D\S\S\I\*.inf"
exc_1_-infFiles	= 0
exc_1_commands	= 11
exc_1_command1	= "cmd.exe /c copy /y %DPSROOT%\D\S\S\I\*.dll %SystemRoot%\system32"
exc_1_command2	= "cmd.exe /c copy /y %DPSROOT%\D\S\S\I\*.sys %SystemRoot%\system32"
exc_1_command3	= "cmd.exe /c copy /y %DPSROOT%\D\S\S\I\*.cpl %SystemRoot%\system32"
exc_1_command4	= "cmd.exe /c copy /y %DPSROOT%\D\S\S\I\*.ax %SystemRoot%\system32"
exc_1_command5	= "cmd.exe /c copy /y %DPSROOT%\D\S\S\I\*.cat %SystemRoot%\system32"
exc_1_command6	= "cmd.exe /c copy /y %DPSROOT%\D\S\S\I\*.drv %SystemRoot%\system32"
exc_1_command7	= "cmd.exe /c md "%ProgramFiles%\Intel\HD Audio\STACGUI""
exc_1_command8	= "cmd.exe /c copy /y %DPSROOT%\D\S\S\I\sttray.exe "%ProgramFiles%\Intel\HD Audio\STACGUI""
exc_1_command9	= "cmd.exe /c copy /y %DPSROOT%\D\S\S\I\stlang.dll "%ProgramFiles%\Intel\HD Audio\STACGUI""
exc_1_command10	= "cmd.exe /c copy /y %DPSROOT%\D\S\S\I\stacgui.cpl "%ProgramFiles%\Intel\HD Audio\STACGUI""
exc_1_command11	= "cmd.exe /c copy /y %DPSROOT%\D\S\S\I\stacsv.exe "%ProgramFiles%\Intel\HD Audio\STACGUI""

Our other option is to pack up the entire "Disk1" folder from the Intel download with the " /s /SMS" switch like the ATI CCC package and call it with the ini that way.  That might actually be the safest option, but I don't have the hardware to test on.

hi

I think I commented on that when I last worked on DP_Sound, but I cannot remember wether the different downloads show different hwIDs in those drivers.

I thought that this is a nice way to make a mess, and decided on the AC97 front panel, because AZALEA control panel is not so user friendly.
This control panel pops up when "Jacksense" senses insertion of a mini-jack.

I know that if the hwIDs are same, we can never have all.
Heck, I cannot even remember which of the two controlpanels I chose, if any.
I bet it is in the comments I made during the testing of that pack.

I know I am not capable of writing code so that the required combination is used.
(I am no programmer, see.)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

mr_smartepants wrote:

Our other option is to pack up the entire "Disk1" folder from the Intel download with the " /s /SMS" switch like the ATI CCC package and call it with the ini that way.  That might actually be the safest option, but I don't have the hardware to test on.

Have you tried Universal Extractor (http://legroom.net/software/uniextract), yet?

Helmi wrote:
mr_smartepants wrote:

I would recommend using the Sigmatel CP as the only option.  The installer is less than half the size of the Intel CP, and it's used by many motherboard manufacturers, instead of just Intel.

Helmi wrote:

So, one would assume if the on-board SC was HDA, so would be the FP somehow...

This is an excellent question.  Both standards, AC97 (in 1997) and HDA (in 2004), were created by Intel, but used by everyone, including AMD-based systems.  Even now, a newly purchased motherboard or case can come in either standard.  However, if it's a pre-built mass-produced system, you can expect them to be matched up properly.  The shape of the connectors are the same, which allows some cross-compatibility (as well as a lot of confusion).  You can often use a HDA motherboard in a AC97 FP case, especially if the motherboard's BIOS has an "legacy front panel" setting enabled in the BIOS.  The opposite will not work.  Motherboards are usually pretty easy to figure out, if you're looking to buy, it'll be listed in the features or on the box, and if its an existing system, you can either look in the device manager, or check what drivers are distributed with it.  Cases on the other hand can be difficult.  I deal mostly with In-Win cases, and their website used to have these great tables clearly showing which cases had which, but alas its gone.  The two use most often: Z589T is AC97, and S605T2 is HDA.  From what I recall, it was about a 50/50 split.  I'm fairly certain that if you were electronically-savvy, you could use a multimeter and this specification guide to figure it out.

Helmi wrote:

Intel should certainly have some sort of guide on how to tell, I for one definitely cannot by the outward looks of it.

Well there's the guide I mentioned above (which is over my head).  You can compare the pinouts in this article.  But the most useful thing for me is this troubleshooting page, namely the last section.

Hi
I like A-Open cases, and lately these have a wire to front panel which sports two keyed connectors.
That's a ten pin marked HD-audio and 8 pin is marked AC97.

I did not compare HWIDs between the modes I can use (yet), and will have to be reminded to at least try this when I put together a new test-rig..

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

jtdoom wrote:

Hi
I like A-Open cases, and lately these have a wire to front panel which sports two keyed connectors.
That's a ten pin marked HD-audio and 8 pin is marked AC97.

Interesting.  Both official specs are 2x5 connectors with 9 pins in use (pin #8 is not used or used as a key).  However, I have seen some AC97 FPs not using #7 either (it's listed as "Filtered +5 V used by analog audio circuits)".  I have never seen 10 pins in use, nor a 2x4 plug.  So much for standards I guess.

Hi
indeed, so much for standard.. sad

In this case, Aopen will work on Aopen moboes..
Many months ago I looked into differences in wiring diagrammes of those non-standardised connectors, and then decided I want to use connections that work right away, rather than tinker on those things.
I must still have the notes I made then, but your TS site is good to bookmark.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

JasonACS wrote:
Helmi wrote:
mr_smartepants wrote:

I would recommend using the Sigmatel CP as the only option.  The installer is less than half the size of the Intel CP, and it's used by many motherboard manufacturers, instead of just Intel.

Forgot about the other part. tongue  I'd consider it important to get both FP options working in the DP.  Other HDA drivers (ie: Realtek) seem to work with both FPs automatically.  If this isn't possible, choosing the HDA FP option would seem to make sense seeing that its an HDA driver.  I can test my DG965RY on both types of FP if needed.

JasonACS wrote:
JasonACS wrote:
Helmi wrote:

Forgot about the other part. tongue  I'd consider it important to get both FP options working in the DP.  Other HDA drivers (ie: Realtek) seem to work with both FPs automatically.  If this isn't possible, choosing the HDA FP option would seem to make sense seeing that its an HDA driver.  I can test my DG965RY on both types of FP if needed.

See, that's just the problem.  I have a working DP with just drivers...no CPL options (neither Intel or Sigmatel).
I'm working on getting only one CPL to load but any other option would require a rework to the DPbase (which is 99.99% bug-free).

I'll be going on an extended "business trip" soon so I'll be off-line during that time.  I'll bring my gear with me and I'll continue to work on this while I'm gone.  At the moment, I have very little dev-time available. sad

I had a similar issue with this at the end of last year. I mentioned a fix in this thread, but forgot to give Muiz the details.

The fix is basically to edit the DP_Sound_B to include the files for the Sigmatel Audio panel. I copied the contents of the %program files%\Sigmatel\C-Major Audio\WDM into the D\S\S\U folder. These files are here in case anyone needs them.
I then re-7zipped the DP_Sound_B folder and slipstreamed the new drivers into the source.

My custom DP_Sound_B_wnt5_x86-32_707 is here if anyone wants to have a look and pick holes in it. It works on all our current hardware, which is mainly Intel D965 based hardware. Our newest batch of machines are DQ956GF mobos, and the edited DP_Sound_B_wnt5_x86-32_707 works just fine with those.

Just wanted to throw in that I just did an install with the latest official driver packs (on a Dell E310) and also recieved the Device error code 31. As previously mentioned, downloading and manually installing the driver resolves the issue...

=========== 
PCI devices 
=========== 

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1064&SUBSYS_01C41028&REV_04\4&10BD256C&0&40F0: Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1080&SUBSYS_10001028&REV_04\4&10BD256C&0&10F0: Intel(R) 537EP V9x DF PCI Modem
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_244E&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_D4\3&172E68DD&0&F0: Intel(R) 82801 PCI Bridge - 244E
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2580&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_04\3&172E68DD&0&00: Intel(R) 915G/P/GV/GL/PL/910GE/GL Processor to I/O Controller - 2580
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2582&SUBSYS_01C41028&REV_04\3&172E68DD&0&10: Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2640&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_04\3&172E68DD&0&F8: Intel(R) 82801FB LPC Interface Controller - 2640
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2652&SUBSYS_01C41028&REV_04\3&172E68DD&0&FA: Intel(R) 82801FB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 2652
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2658&SUBSYS_01C41028&REV_04\3&172E68DD&0&E8: Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 2658
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2659&SUBSYS_01C41028&REV_04\3&172E68DD&0&E9: Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 2659
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_265A&SUBSYS_01C41028&REV_04\3&172E68DD&0&EA: Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 265A
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_265B&SUBSYS_01C41028&REV_04\3&172E68DD&0&EB: Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 265B
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_265C&SUBSYS_01C41028&REV_04\3&172E68DD&0&EF: Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 265C
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2660&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_04\3&172E68DD&0&E0: Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM PCI Express Root Port - 2660
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2662&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_04\3&172E68DD&0&E1: Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM PCI Express Root Port - 2662
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2668&SUBSYS_01C41028&REV_04\3&172E68DD&0&D8: Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_266A&SUBSYS_01C41028&REV_04\3&172E68DD&0&FB: Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM SMBus Controller - 266A
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_266F&SUBSYS_01C41028&REV_04\3&172E68DD&0&F9: Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 266F
17 matching device(s) found.

=========== 
USB devices 
=========== 

USB\ROOT_HUB\4&1908A9ED&0                                   : USB Root Hub
USB\ROOT_HUB\4&2E77F260&0                                   : USB Root Hub
USB\ROOT_HUB\4&33AD1FDC&0                                   : USB Root Hub
USB\ROOT_HUB\4&413399C&0                                    : USB Root Hub
USB\ROOT_HUB20\4&5DAAF00&0                                  : USB Root Hub
USB\VID_045E&PID_0039\5&2D3C1A66&0&2                        : Microsoft USB IntelliMouse Optical
USB\VID_050D&PID_0119\5&2D3C1A66&0&1                        : USB Composite Device
USB\VID_050D&PID_0119&MI_00\6&2F74E1CC&0&0000               : USB Human Interface Device
USB\VID_050D&PID_0119&MI_01\6&2F74E1CC&0&0001               : USB Human Interface Device
9 matching device(s) found.

P.S. - Don't let me forget, that modem is not installed when using my 3rd party pack...

Last edited by twig123 (2007-07-18 17:46:37)

tazmaniandevil wrote:

I had a similar issue with this at the end of last year. I mentioned a fix in this thread, but forgot to give Muiz the details.

I implemented your fix in the 7.09 nightly build I'm currently working on.  I'm wrestling with the Intel audio drivers at the moment.  I hope to have a test build up in the next day or so for you to test.