Topic: Again portcls.sys

Hi everyone,
as You can see I have BSOD while installing windows XP sp2 with RyanVM update pack and drivers from this site. Its probably the problem with missing driver but maybe its something else, thats why am I posting this topic. Well, I made the disc this way

NLite - remove components, setup unattended
RyanVM - integrate updates
Driver Base - integrate drivers - mode2

drivers i integrated are CPU,CHIPSET,SoundA,GraphicsA, Lan, MassStorage ( somehow I forgot to include SoundB ). The machine I tried to install the Windows has next specs:
MB: Asus K8u-X
CPU: Sempron 2500+
GFX: ATI 9250
SND: AC97 OnBoard

I dont have a driver base log file sry.
Also i searched for portcls and not found it in XP source. ( but i didnt looked in compressed files ).

Installation gives BSOD on 36 ?? minute while "Installing Devices".

Thanks.

Re: Again portcls.sys

The only way I found to pass that blue screen on my machines were to disable the onboard sound and continue with the installation.. then remove the fragments of drivers left over from the driverpacks once I was in windows. Also, refer to these two posts which helped me a lot and may be able to help you as well.

http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=1605

http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=1629

Tnx, Ill try that and look at links, but its too sad that in my experience the most popular onBoard audio chip cant be used with driver packs. To be honest from Sound drivers I only need SoundMax, AC97, CMedia ( CMI ?? ), Realtek HD Audio because they are on 99% of machines i saw. Can you point me to resources how to make a driver pack for those chips ( if its possible ).

ristech i took a look at those links and both says that they commented out their hardware from inf files, and that installation of drivers succedded. Im confused by this, how if you hide your hardware id from inf files setup can recognize that he has the needed drivers? Or they meant by this that setup continued WITHOUT installing drivers for those cards?

The problem comes when your HWID is read in various files .inf, then you must hide your HWID from the .inf files you dont want and let only your HWID in the .inf files containing the suitable driver you want to be installed,

Thanks a lot. Ill hope this will help cos i cant install on that machine WinXP anymore because its not mine sad

EDIT:

Shouldn't this problem be solved from driver pack? I mean that these hwids should be hidden by default?

Last edited by zveljkovic (2007-06-10 11:23:53)

Yes that problem should be solved from driverpacks because they are duplicated, but it is dificult to anyone to see the duplicate HWID until it happens the conflict.

Thanks a lot.

Hi

what Major says about duplicated Hardware-IDs is true, and to finally get rid of duplicate drivers and conflicting drivers, we have to see logs.

We do not have a hwID database yet, so by those reports we see only the tip of the iceberg.

an example?
Following the example set by Overflow, I made a spreadsheet of the files in WLAN.
Once I had this sorted, I saw dozens of duplicate INF and SYS files.
In Case you wonder why we are doing this, the answer is simply that we want to make it easier to create the BartPE plugin.
This was done for LAN (albeit I did not dare touch NVIDIA yet) and same sort of work will be done for WLAN and later on I want to get to grips with soundpack B.
Using the tools we used to compare drivers and HWIDs (just for the obvious dupes) took many hours.
I am sure that WLAN will need three times as many.
And sound? If I look at how many different soundmaxes there are, I want to hide in a deep hole and drop a lid on it.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

I'll be glad to help the DriverPack team to make a tool that will search for duplicates, but I dont know how are You checking for dups. If someone of you should point me to a some tutorial or mail me how its done, ill try to make that tool.

I mostly use C# for coding but its not a problem if ill need to use c++ or any other language EXCEPT Visual Basic which is my programing taboo smile