Topic: [IMPLEMENTED] multibootDisc support

i am assuming that multi-boot support will be added to the new base. is this correct?

Last edited by Bâshrat the Sneaky (2006-07-31 02:43:41)

Re: [IMPLEMENTED] multibootDisc support

It's already available, but untested and the GUI isn't able to handle it yet. If you have a little more patience, there will be full support for it through the GUI! wink

Founder of DriverPacks.net — wimleers.com

thanks,

There is full multibootDisc support (through the GUI) as of DriverPack Sound B 6.07 b3. Just wait for the final (should be released 31 July) wink.

How to enable this support in the GUI ?

1. Create a settings file for each OS (that is supported by the DriverPacks) you want to include in your multibootDisc: configure the settings as you'd like and then export them.

2. On the Location page (under the group [Settings]), you can browse to a location. If a directory is selected, with in any of its subdirectories an 'I386 directory', multibootDisc mode will be enabled.

3. Add all settings files that you've created in step 1.

4. Start the slipstreaming.

This has NOT been tested yet, since none of my betatesters uses a multibootDisc. There are fewer multibootDisc users than I anticipated...

Hi Bâshrat,

Can't get multiboot to work. Maybe a checkbox for the multiboot mode would be better, the location should then be the rootfolder for the CD.

Last edited by Houz74 (2006-08-08 09:57:54)

Bâshrat the Sneaky wrote:

1. Create a settings file for each OS (that is supported by the DriverPacks) you want to include in your multibootDisc: configure the settings as you'd like and then export them.

2. On the Location page (under the group [Settings]), you can browse to a location. If a directory is selected, with in any of its subdirectories an 'I386 directory', multibootDisc mode will be enabled.

This has NOT been tested yet, since none of my betatesters uses a multibootDisc. There are fewer multibootDisc users than I anticipated...

I've been testing and using PowerPacker (a utility by SigiNet to create MultiBoot Discs) on an irregular base. I believe there is a latent demand for creating ultimate (un)attended MultiBoot Discs, but since it is a fairly complex and unknow topic, few people start out experimenting with it.
I think when PowerPacker and DPBase complement each other and even for non-ICT-professional-users it becomes easy to do, you will find you did not support it invane in DirverPacks.

I'm creating a MB-disc in PowerPacker, but can't get DPBase to support it through the GUI like you subscribed: I do not get a possibility in the DPBase GUI to select multiple settingfiles.... If I'm overlooking something, please calrify your short HOWTO on how to use the MultiBoot-feature.......

Just to be complete: with PowerPacker I created a MB setup for two XP-installs. PowerPacker created two I386 directories (one in d:\PP\ROOT\I386 for the first XP and one in d:\\PP\ROOT\XOPO\I386 for the second one). After creating this (non-iso'ed) multiboot setup, I started the DPBAse 6.07rc6, entered d:\PP as a location and DPBase reports that it regcognizes XP as an OS, but troughout DPBase there seem to be no possibilities to make settings for multiboot-processing....

moesasji wrote:

I've been testing and using PowerPacker (a utility by SigiNet to create MultiBoot Discs) on an irregular base. I believe there is a latent demand for creating ultimate (un)attended MultiBoot Discs, but since it is a fairly complex and unknow topic, few people start out experimenting with it.
I think when PowerPacker and DPBase complement each other and even for non-ICT-professional-users it becomes easy to do, you will find you did not support it invane in DirverPacks.

I'm creating a MB-disc in PowerPacker, but can't get DPBase to support it through the GUI like you subscribed: I do not get a possibility in the DPBase GUI to select multiple settingfiles.... If I'm overlooking something, please calrify your short HOWTO on how to use the MultiBoot-feature.......

Just to be complete: with PowerPacker I created a MB setup for two XP-installs. PowerPacker created two I386 directories (one in d:\PP\ROOT\I386 for the first XP and one in d:\\PP\ROOT\XOPO\I386 for the second one). After creating this (non-iso'ed) multiboot setup, I started the DPBAse 6.07rc6, entered d:\PP as a location and DPBase reports that it regcognizes XP as an OS, but troughout DPBase there seem to be no possibilities to make settings for multiboot-processing....

You should select d:\PP\ROOT then, since the I386 directories are two levels lower than that (they are inside the subdirectories of the 'ROOT' directory)

You should select d:\PP\ROOT then, since the I386 directories are two levels lower than that (they are inside the subdirectories of the 'ROOT' directory)

My mistake in my previous posting: did select that directory allready, but still no possibility for multiboot-disc creation.... it seems you've hidden this option very well smile I can't find it.....

moesasji wrote:

but still no possibility for multiboot-disc creation.... it seems you've hidden this option very well smile I can't find it.....

Same problem here, even after manualy editting the base ini-file to point to 2 other XP ini-files as described in the reference.ini. My vote is for a multiboot-checkbox in the GUI.

found a problem: when exporting ini-files with a existing filename , files get appended to the old files instead of completely overwritten.

Last edited by Houz74 (2006-08-08 10:55:11)

Huh?

Say that I have this dir structure:

C:\testArea\wnt5_x86-32_disc\I386

Then I'd have to point to C:\testArea and the GUI would be reloaded in multibootDisc mode.

Huh?

Say that I have this dir structure:

C:\testArea\wnt5_x86-32_disc\I386

Then I'd have to point to C:\testArea and the GUI would be reloaded in multibootDisc mode.

Maybe it should, but it does not do so on my side.....
Did you test it yourself ? I created my MB-setup with PowerPacker, but since there are multiple I386 folders under the C:\testarea folder, the way I created the MB-setup should not matter I believe....

Very strange... you seem to be right! It DID work in the past, since I tried it. Will fix it in the morning.

This remark by you put me on to something; in the MB-disc created bythe first time I tried the PowerPacker, the (relevant) setup was as follows:

MBDISCROOT\Root
MBDISCROOT\Root\I386
MBDISCROOT\Root\XOPO
MBDISCROOT\Root\XOPO\I386

In other words, one I386 folder was created two levels down the MBDISCROOT folder, the other one was created three levels down. It was with this setup I tried the DPBase MBDisc feature and it was with this setup I had to report that no MBDisc feature became visible.

After reading your responds to my questions carefully, I decided to give PowerPacker another run. Appearantly, I probably did something wrong the first time, because on the seconf run of PowerPacker it created the following (relevant) setup:

MBDISCROOT\Boot
MBDISCROOT\Root
MBDISCROOT\Root\XOHO
MBDISCROOT\Root\XOHO\I386
MBDISCROOT\Root\XOPO
MBDISCROOT\Root\XOPO\I386

In other words, this time, both I386 folder were created three levels down.

On this second try I ran DPBase again, but alas: the problem is not solved yet: this time, when pointed to the MBDISCROOT\Root folder as a valid location: "Could not detect Windows (no IDENT files were found), not a multibootdisc (no I386 subdir found)"

It's true the IDENT files aren't in the MBDISCROOT\Root folder; they are in the respectie MBDISCROOT\Root\XOHO and MBDISCROOT\Root\XOPO folders (the same folders the respective I386 folders can be found at). They can (duplicated) alo be found at the MBDISCROOT folder, where PowerPacker needs them for compiling the MBDisc setup into a bootable ISO.

I'm at a loss for testing / solutions at this moment. Maybe the setup PowerPacker creates is different from the way you setup the MBDisc support in DPBase ? If so, could you take a look at the way PowerPacker sets it up, because I found it a very easy and useful way to create MultiBoot discs and would prefer it when both great programs can cooperate.

In conclusion: I think my initial remarks were partly due to a miscreated MultiBootDisc-setup by (settings I made ? to) PowerPacker, but even after correcting this mistake, I still can't get the DPBase MBDisc feature to appear.... Hope I have provided you with enough information on aiding me in finding the solution or finding the 'bug' that causes this......

And by the way, in experimenting with these setups I didn't succed in making use of the DPBAse MBDisc-feature, but I did succeed in messing up the GUI of DPBase.... druing one of my tests (and alas, I can't reproduce the exact situation, but it was during the experimenting with the 'two-level-folder / three-level-folder' situation, DPBase showed this GUI......

http://www.chello.nl/~g.franssen/DPBase607rc6ScreenCapture001.jpg

Finally I do have a suggestion to add to DPBase, which could be handy when creating MultiBoot Discs: DPBase now identifies (on the location screen) the OS of the windows installation that was chosen. It would be very handy, if it not only could identify what OS, but also what type: OEM, RETAIL, Corporate or RETAIL......... SigiNet implemented this feature in his RyanVMIntegrator and it's also nescessary information when using PowerPacker for creating MultiBootDiscs....

Last edited by moesasji (2006-08-08 12:28:08)

moesasji wrote:

In other words, this time, both I386 folder were created three levels down.

And by the way, in experimenting with these setups I didn't succed in making use of the DPBAse MBDisc-feature, but I did succeed in messing up the GUI of DPBase....

My i386 folders are also on the third level. The GUI glitch can be overcome by selecting another language and then the wanted language again.

This will all be fixed in the next release.

I'm using this method to create my multibootdisk, maybe it is easier to test this way.
http://www.msfn.org/board/lofiversion/i … 58446.html

RC7 is good, but the text from the remove-button from the ini-fileselection is wrong and there is no export-function. trying it out now.

Last edited by Houz74 (2006-08-10 19:22:13)

Platform detection isn't working in RC7. My XP installfolders aren't detected as such, resulting in an error about missing streaming-modules.

The radiobuttons for the multibootdisk-mode is a perfect solution, thanks for the quick fix.

I've changed that quite a bit, yes, but it was working during my tests. Will try to reproduce the problem.

Platformdetection should only check the paths given in the ini-files, then it should work. Wrong text at the delete-button is due to an incorrect numbering, it seems that the "settings_settFiles_03" label is skipped.