Topic: DetachedProgram (winnt.sif)

yet another stupid question from me...  (yes i know im full of those)...

when i look the the  msfn setup timeline it apears to me that the  setup replacement trick isn't necicairy
(but ofcource i could be (or probable am) wrong, so please explain??)  ...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

» Text-mode Setup

1. Loads Drivers (shouldn't this read load Mass storage drivers?)....

2. Copies files required for Setup to the Hard Disk

3. Copies the contents of your $OEM$ folders to the Hard Disk
// (uses with method 1 of Bâshrat the Sneaky-DP)

4. Reboots the PC...

» PRE- GUI-mode (Bâshrat the Sneaky Drive Packs initiated actions)

1 extracting driver packs

2 adding driver paths to the Registry

3 rename (original setup.exe & start setup.exe)

+ continue normal setup procedure.

» GUI-mode Setup

1. DetachedProgram executes from winnt.sif at T-39 stage
  // (what is this doing now)

2. Installs Devices 
// (here are the drivers from, the DP first needed right???)

Last edited by -I- (2006-10-30 23:41:34)

disclaimer:
Any posts written by me or on my behalf comes strictly with no implicit warenty unless clearly stated otherwise.
Following any advise i might give, is done soly at one's own risk.
Never give away person-identifiable information about yourself unless you absolutely know for sure you can trust the person you give it to...

Re: DetachedProgram (winnt.sif)

question: why build a program that hacks into the process,  if there is  DetachedProgram - is there something that makes DetachedProgram 1 step to late to load driver path's ... im verry curious...

// helpfull links :  Click

Just to be clear:  i want to understand, more about this, to learn more about windows, and messing with it....
it is NOT,  IN ANY WAY; ment as cirticism, because it think  Bâshrat the Sneaky has done more than an outstanding job

Last edited by -I- (2006-10-31 00:13:55)

disclaimer:
Any posts written by me or on my behalf comes strictly with no implicit warenty unless clearly stated otherwise.
Never give away person-identifiable information about yourself unless you absolutely know for sure you can trust the person you give it to...

Because DetachedProgram is executed simultaneously, this trick would not work: the DriverPacks would not be extracted in time. In other words: setup doesn't pause. The topic you've linked to, does pause the real setup to execute its own script.

Founder of DriverPacks.net — wimleers.com

Tnx for your reply.

than i wonder,  what if you'd merge method 1,  (all drivers in  %systemdrive%\DP
a reg-installer from DetachedPrograms -

if that would work youd have the advantage of  method 1,  Without the MaxChar-Limit ?????
as well as it 'might' be 'fully' compatible with  sysprep?????

disclaimer: