Topic: Silly Question

Thanks Bash

Great work with the driver pack - extremely useful.

I have now sucessfully made my unattended install disk with these integrated driver packs - what I would like to know is can I now use that disk for driver installations on existing Windows Installs.

For example if I am working on a PC and it has some "unknown device" can I whack in the unattended install disk and then tell it to search that for new drivers.

I am certain that this question has probably been asked before, but I couldn't find a post on it.

Let me know.

Cheers

Dave

Last edited by Dave_in_oz (2006-06-01 17:56:15)

Re: Silly Question

i think, at first, you need to get the tool which told you about what is that "unknown device" (for example Unknown Devices 1.2 or PCI 32 Sniffer 1.1, both found on Hiren's BootCD 8.1), second, extract with 7-zip proper DP driver pack on local disk, third, run on command prompt DevPath.exe C:\D (DevPath.exe you could get from DPbase_install_dir\bin\M2.7z and the path C:\D is correct if you extract proper driver pack in its default path smile ) and finally delete "unknown device" and try to let the system to detect the right driver. This method is correct if you use method 2 and KtD (Keep the Drivers) disable then you builded sliptsreamed winxp cd with DP. In other case you could try to use method 2, with enabled KtD and let some DP to stay on local disk after install, or use method 1, but then you need dvd, because windows xp and all DriverPacks simply do not fit on CD or maybe i'm wrong and you need RTFM tongue

Last edited by laura (2006-06-01 18:49:15)

Question: Does DevPath reset after reboot?

I'm looking to decompress drivers to my unattend (exactly like M1), but have nothing to do with install.
I myself use M2, I want no drivers on my HD. Just want them uncompressed on my unattend. Reason I CAN'T use M1 is because of the sheer number of paths which will exceed the 4096 limit on WINNT.SIF. I just need a batch to tell Windows to look at my DVD, at the directory where I put the uncompressed drivers each time it detects a new device. Also, I could do it another way and decompress files temporarily to HD and have Windows look there.

Any suggestions on this batch?

Last edited by razormoon (2006-06-02 01:30:10)

The following sentence is false.
The preceding sentence is true.

DevPath just scans for driver directories and then updates the DevicePath registry key.

So... just extract all DriverPacks onto a CD, run DevPath like this:

devpath.exe X:\

where X:\ is your CD drive and the DriverPacks are extracted into any of the subdirs inside X:\. Then just pop in that CD and it'll be very easy to install new hardware! wink

EDIT:

forgot to say: this 'mode' will be added after my exams.

Last edited by Bâshrat the Sneaky (2006-06-02 04:48:34)

Founder of DriverPacks.net — wimleers.com

Absolutely! That is awesome. smile

The following sentence is false.
The preceding sentence is true.

Bâshrat the Sneaky wrote:

DevPath just scans for driver directories and then updates the DevicePath registry key.

So... just extract all DriverPacks onto a CD, run DevPath like this:

devpath.exe X:\

where X:\ is your CD drive and the DriverPacks are extracted into any of the subdirs inside X:\. Then just pop in that CD and it'll be very easy to install new hardware! wink

EDIT:

forgot to say: this 'mode' will be added after my exams.

Excellent

Thats exactly what I wanted.

Cheers

Dave