Topic: [CLOSED] Help with Updatechecker

I am pulling my hair out.  I cannot get the updater to connect.  it says. "Could not connect to the internet.  There are 2 possiblites..."

I have 6.08.6 base, win xp pro sp2

1.  I bypassed the router and plugged my computer directly into cable modem.

2.  Turned off Windows xp firewall, all virus protection, went to windows firewall and gave base exceptions,... then turned it off.

3.  Im am logged in as administrator.
4.  I can get on internet and browse, also ftp.   NO VPN running.

5.  Deleted all history, cache in IE, cookies.

6.  Windows Defender uninstalled.

7.  All windows security services are turned off.

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: [CLOSED] Help with Updatechecker

Are you using a proxy? Proxies are not yet supported!

Founder of DriverPacks.net — wimleers.com

I am not using a proxy.  Is there a way to test it with a different way.  ip/port scan or ping?

I currently have all the updated driver packs and 3rd party, but the automatic update would be very nice to use.

Perhaps driverpacks.net was down at the time of testing? Does the UpdateChecker work now?

No sorry.  I have been trying for many versions.  Im sure it's on my end, but cannot narrow it down.  I will go to my shop today and try it there.  It is a computer repair shop.  I have computers with XP Home, 2000.

I just wonder, if is on my computer, or could it by my isp?

The old versions of update use to work, the scripts that ran and looked up to see if we were updated.  This was 6 months to a year ago.  Different program.

Thanks for you help.

Well, please verify that your ISP doesn't obligate you to use a proxy. I really think that'd be the cause. Or perhaps there's STILL a firewall that's blocking internet access.

Hi
maybe clear DNS cache?

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

I called my ISP and talked to the manager.  He said they dont use a proxy.  I guess I will just manually update the drivers.  Its not that bad to do it.  I appreciate everyones input.

What is also possible is that the anti-DDoS firewall that's protecting driverpacks.net has accidentally marked your IP as a possible DDoS attack node. So either your entire IP range is blocked, or just your IP. If just your IP is blocked, you could solve the problem by just asking for a new IP if you've got a static one, and if you've got a dynamical IP, then you could solve the problem by reconnecting your cable/adsl/smallband modem.

Thanks for the reply.  I have a dynamic ip and I have tried it on 2 different locations here in town.  The ip range is 70.128.?.?

Is this range blocked?

Like I said earlier, its not a big deal to manually download them.

If this range is open, how can we try a different port.  Say 21

Thanks.

EDIT:
Closed now. This is an isolated issue, possibly caused by the anti-DDoS firewall that's protecting this website.