Topic: Lightening strike blew out my NAS backup

<begin rant>
We had a bad thunderstorm yesterday (bolt of lightening struck outside my office window!) and when I got home the power had gone out.
I have APC UPS units on my tower system and my Home Server (which saved my a$$ many times) but my NAS drives have an external power-brick and they weren't connected to the UPS.   My NAS is only used as a secondary backup to the WHS so it's loss is not that critical.  The drives appear to be OK, but because the NAS was RAID-1 and the drives married to the on-board controller, the data is gone.
I'm giving up on NAS and RAID. sad
<end rant>
So now I'm in the market to buy a new 3TB drive to use as my off-site backup drive.  (Backup on the weekends, then take the box to work during the week in case of theft/fire at the house).
I'll also be selling all the drives I was using in the NAS.  They're just not big enough for my needs.
2x Seagate 750GB ST3750640AS
4x WD 1000GB (1TB) WD10EARS

3500MGB-Raid Pro - NAS (2-drive) (still works, but doesn't recognize drives. Makes high-pitched piezo even without drives installed)
4500MGB-Raid Pro - NAS (4-drive) (works fine, doesn't like the WD drives above)

Make me an offer.

Re: Lightening strike blew out my NAS backup

Just in case you haven't considered it, yet:
Whith drives/partitions > 2 TB, you may encounter strange bugs and incompatibility due to the fact that MBR only addresses around 2 TB (you'd have to use GPT on the drive) and some controller drivers may be bugged (Intel had such a problem with their AHCI drivers in the past - using MSAHCI instead worked fine).
Of course, XP will totally crap out on anything larger than 2 TB as in cannot use GPT and drivers may not be updated by manufacturers.

As you do not want to boot from the drive, obviously, you will not have to worry about EFI - otherwise, you'd need an EFI-compatible mobo and OS (such as Win7 x64).

Just saying...

I could pass you more info, but it's mostly in German, so...

None of that mattered with these Helmi.  All the drives in the arrays were formatted EXT2 and were non-bootable anyway.  No MBR or GPT to worry about.
And they were mounted as network drives (\\server\share\folder).
I ordered a few SATA to ESATA/USB2 cases and a couple 2TB drives for them.  Then I'll have two backup drives I can swap out every weekend (keep the other at work) in case my house burns down or is burgled I'll still have my data.

Alright then.
Just wanted to make sure. smile

Experience has shown, not many folks know about this >2 TB barrier.
Then again, not many seemed to know about the 127 GB one, either...