Topic: Chipset vs Mass Storage

I need an help to understand this:

I have H67 chipset,

in the infinst_autol.exe (chipset driver) is there driver for Sata and it install:
- Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 6 Port SATA AHCI Controller - 1C02 ver.9.2.0.1011

also in the Intel RST (mass storage driver) there is driver for sata controller and it install:
- Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller ver.10.5.0.1022

So this 2 "different" driver is for the same hardware ?

when is necessary RST mass storage driver ?

Is it possible install only chipset driver ?

Is chipset driver good for slipstream xp cd ?

thanks for yours time.

Re: Chipset vs Mass Storage

chipset driver loads drivers for the chipset

rst/mass storage driver loads drivers for the mass storage devices/controllers

yes, it is that simple.

and yes, you need both.

chipset first, then rst/mass storage driver.

thanks for the answer,
But Let me continue, and exuse me if this seems simple for you, but more question is not clear to me.

Under Controller IDE Ata/Atapi we found - Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 6 Port SATA AHCI Controller - 1C02 ver.9.2.0.1011 if we install only chipset

with this driver the hard disk work with no problem, we do not have Yellow exlamation mark, so we do not "NEED" RST driver.

So i think that in the chipset driver named infinst_autol.exe by intel is there included a driver for the controller sata, different from that included in the RST driver.

Thanks for continuing this post.

the OS may have a default driver included, but the most recent will always come from Intel.

What is your point?  To avoid a modicum of work or ????

My questions is only for understand. I have no rpoblem on my systems, a have a multiboot with XP-Win7-Ubuntu-SnowLeoprad

It was new for me discover that for the same Hardware, the H67 Sata ahci Controller, exist 3 different driver

1- Sata original windows driver
2- Sata driver inside chipset infotool
3- Sata driver inside RST pack

and the very strange for me is that 2 and 3 option is from Intel but different version.

This evening i look on h67 datasheet from intel and there is write that RST is optional, this confirm that inside chipset pack is there a driver for sata controller.

If this is true we will create an F6 floppy with mass storage driver extracted from chipset inftool.
this do not have real advantage, because the RST floppy exist and work, but is only for understand/experiment

What do you think ?

I think you're looking too deep into a non-existent problem. 
If you have a problem with the RST driver, post your report in the appropriate thread. 
If you have no problems with the provided drivers, then ultimately...there is no problem.

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

but there is no problem, i have no rpoblem, i want only speak about this with guy that know more than me this field.
Maybe the section is wrong, is there a section like Bar or Chat ?

Moved to "other".
If you look at the Intel chipset "drivers" you'll notice that there are no .sys files (other than USB), so really there are no "drivers".  The signed .inf files only add registry entries so that the system knows what to call all those "unknown device" items in the device manager for the devices in your motherboard.  Just because the chipset package can identify your Mass Storage device, doesn't mean it's operating at peak efficiency.  That's what the RST drivers do.

Having an imbalance of version numbers isn't a problem in itself.

thank you very much, now is all more clear.
but now have ither 2 questions:

- If the .inf files only add name in registry the driver used (without RST installed) remain the windows one ?

- If I install all the driver related to chipset hardware there is no reason to install chipset inf ? Because if for example i install RST the correct name to the sata controller is assigned by RST installation ?

thanks for your patience smile

No like newsposter said, you need both.
Chipset is THE most important of the DriverPacks.  dpms allows for the drives to be "seen" during txtmode.  The pair work together.

thanks to you and newsposter