Topic: BSOD *after* XP GUI Setup !?!

This is a strange problem, *not* directly related to DriverPacks, the 1st occurrence in a over thousand XP installs.  My very special XP install disc recognizes the RAID mode of an Intel DP35DP-based system.  In fact, my BartPE/WinPE disc recognizes the board's controller as well, so I *thought* this would be a simple job, that is to reinstall Windows XP.  Not true.  XP setup zips through the text mode setup *and* the GUI mode setup, then prior to launching XP itself, a BSOD flashes on the screen for one sec and the system immediately reboots.  XP displays the 'Safe Mode' menu, times out, BSODs, then loops thru this sequence again and again.

The BSOD is gone so fast, I can't see the stop code.  I have my suspicions, but no facts.  Is there anything I can do to make this work ?  Perhaps, someone else has encountered this problem and worked out a fix ?

Anyway, thanx for taking the time to read this....:-  MR  -:

Re: BSOD *after* XP GUI Setup !?!

What DriverPacks are being used in the disc and is dpms textmode enabled?
DPs_BASE.log please along with the HWIDs of the system?

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

mr_smartepants wrote:

What DriverPacks are being used in the disc and is dpms textmode enabled?
DPs_BASE.log please along with the HWIDs of the system?

Now you're getting in over my head and I'm pressed for time, too.  The DriverPacks is from the Jun-2010 time frame.  Don't know how to obtain the DPs_BASE.log, or the HWIDs either.  When I return to work this evening, I'll simply have to implement my final solution: break the RAID array.  If you have the chance to reply to this, I'll look for it once I get back to work and glean the info before blowing it all up.

Thanx....:--  MR  --:

F8 at boot time should bring up a Windows boot menu.

You can select Disable Automatic restart after failure or something like that.

Tell us the Stop error code for some better idea of the crash.

(I'm going on memory here - but that's my story and I'm stckin' to it.)

MARK STRELECKI
Atlanta, GA.

markstrelecki wrote:

F8 at boot time should bring up a Windows boot menu.

You can select Disable Automatic restart after failure or something like that.

Tell us the Stop error code for some better idea of the crash.

(I'm going on memory here - but that's my story and I'm stckin' to it.)

MARK STRELECKI
Atlanta, GA.

Mark:  You're correct about disabling auto restart, but in the end, that wasn't important.  The problem was lack of time and some bizarre software quirk.  The PC's controller was in fact supported by the DriverPacks (the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver.)  I was able to track down the exact motherboard model (Intel DP35DP) and a .ZIP of the XP driver files.  I'm reasonably certain the version of the DriverPacks I used fully supports the controller, but will explicitly confirm this belief in the coming days.

My final solution was inelegant, but effective.  I gradually dialed back the controller from RAID mode, thru SATA/AHCI mode, back to legacy IDE mode.  I can only conclude that RAID mode almost worked as an odd quirk, while the intermediate SATA modes only worked in the initial phase of XP text mode setup.  XP text mode setup wouldn't format/partition the drive under the SATA modes, therefore another dead end.  Vista SP2 would partition and format (under the SATA modes), but didn't accept the target as valid for installation.  Go figure ?!?

Anyway, thanx for reading....:--  MR  --: