Topic: Project; Windows PE Setup Assistant

Hello!

I'm actually developing a project which will easily customize installations of Windows.
It'll work as follows: A very slim 32Bit OS is launched (actually I think about using WinPE, but maybe using *nix systems is a better choice). This miniOS will start the skinable Setup Assistant in Fullscreen mode. The aim of this project is to make a universal, but custom and flexible Windows installation. The setup assistant makes the original windows setup unnecessary and shortens the installation period while still offering all customizing options (ie. preview of how the desktop will look like before setup is even started). The miniOS will have the option to dial the internet to check for preset packs and updates. Universal presets will make installation a lot of easier, since the user only needs to input his name, org. and key and if wanted more data like domain etc.. Preset packs may include custom Themes, Wallpapers, Registry settings, application slipstreams and many more.

When I saw you'r project and nlite and sereby's updatepacks and many more projects.... I decided to put all projects together in a mother project where your's will be a sub-project from this perspective.

NO XP PROJECT IS PERFECT, BUT YOUR PROJECT MAKES IT COME A BIG STEP CLOSER!
Thats's why I want to ask you if you want to help me realizing this project, how much time you have does not realy matter, cuz I've not much time anyway.
u know job and scool...am working as Networkadmin by the way. And I live in Germany.

I know realizing this project is not easy so please lets talk about it and be a member!

regards

.X4

Last edited by Xsss4hell (2006-08-17 08:48:36)

Re: Project; Windows PE Setup Assistant

maybe this gonna be a superlarge project (i meand the dimension and effort).
cuz I asked sum premier coders and big companies admins to help me..cuz my C++ ain't good sad
I just have a pe setup assistant that works with xml answer files, which generate the winnt.sif and so..u know..easy but working! this project is closed that's why I will start a better bigger one,

Have those 'premier coders' and 'big companies' confirmed that they'd participate?

Founder of DriverPacks.net — wimleers.com

Not all! Sum don't sum are undecided most haven't answered jet. One is very busy and Network Administrator just like I am. I think all depends on him..cuz I don't know other persons with that skill. I haven't asked Nuhi jet, but I think if u all really want to make this project reality u join it.
The  admin ist the one who started a project similar to mine, but his endusers were admins not users like in my project.
By the way he developed a installation system which worked for 30.000 computers.
The company I'm working for is not a goverment company like he's workin for, so I've only 500computers working in this location.
Now, if he reads his mails I think he'll be interested and joins this project (I hope so).

If you and others join this..the first we've to do is to talk about the project and where we'd to start and and so on..before adding a new project at sourceforge.net.

PS: my first project was aimed for winpe, but thats not a good choice like I noticed now.
I haven't compiled c++ for linux jet, but we'll see. The most important thing I think is, that the original cd is not touched, but modified on the fly if the enduser/admin approves it (we don't want to break any license agreements wink

regards
.X4

Last edited by Xsss4hell (2006-08-22 03:55:11)

and thus - we never heard from it again smile,  by the way, id never consider trying to install windows from a linux source - or even a dos source (winnt.exe) for that matter,   if id want this,  i would most certainly build an installer like the  9in1 or even 35in1 cd / dvd's that already exist,  as there are perfect tools that  use  symlinked files if they exist more than once on a cdrom, (just the way MS does 't).

in theory it would enable me to store as mutch a 50 diferent windows xp sp2 configs on 1 dvd  and even have more than sufficient space to add (unattended) aplication- sets ... 

i could even use nlite to modify every single one of them  with a custom set of modifications.   (that at most would sost me perhaps as less as 5mb per version (only the inf files will change - and thus stored more than once) 

at least it would be soo mutch easier,  (by the way if you use isolinux to start the diferent chains  ... there would probebly be some sort of gui that could should text or pictures to preview ....

disclaimer:
Any posts written by me or on my behalf comes strictly with no implicit warenty unless clearly stated otherwise.
Following any advise i might give, is done soly at one's own risk.
Never give away person-identifiable information about yourself unless you absolutely know for sure you can trust the person you give it to...

It didn't die..
I just have no time to work on this, due to university and other projects sad
I don't know when I've the time to continue, but I will.

Descrition of "The PE Assistant":
- It opens up an assitant before the original setup
- Asks you to enter details like key, name etc
- Asks you to select features or remove components etc..
- Asks you to choose the final look with preview
- Passes settings to setup
-- coded in java
-- alpha not ready jet

todos:
- hardware detection/installation
- registry hive preperation/installation
- and more..

Last edited by Xsss4hell (2006-11-28 09:00:49)

He also posted his proposal on our community here: http://www.boot-land.net/forums/Setup-A … -t437.html

smile