Topic: DriverPack Sound A 6.08

Changelog
updated
-Realtek AC'97 from 05/19/2006,5.10.00.6090 [3.89] to 07/22/2006,5.10.00.6150 [3.91]
-Realtek HD Audio driver from 05/04/2006, 5.10.0.5253 [1.37] to 08/01/2006, 5.10.0.5283 [1.43]
-VIA HD Audio driver from 12/19/2005,5.10.01.1040 [1.40] to 07/17/2006,5.10.01.1070 [1.70a]

Known issues
-none

Remarks
-none

Download

Founder of DriverPacks.net — wimleers.com

Re: DriverPack Sound A 6.08

Bâshrat the Sneaky
Why 55.1Mb in DP_Sound_A_wnt5_x86-32_608.7z vs 36Mb in DP_Sound_A_wnt5_x86-32_6061.7z?

3 updated drivers - 19Mb?

Last edited by DmitryOlenin (2006-08-14 00:31:41)

The internal size has increased from 254MB to 300MB... I can't do anything about it wink

And it's 51.50 MB, not 55.1, if those 4 megs can make you happy tongue

Pleeeease no more drivers! last time I used the driverpacks, it was december 2005... they ate ~130 or 150 MB of my CD... now it's over 200MB!
Switching to 800MB CDs smile I persist on using CDs.. not all my pcs have dvdrom.
but it becomes real scary when you count the uncompressed numbers.. gigabytes of drivers...
thanks for the update smile

The idea is to support as much hardware as possible.

If you do not want to create a UWXPCD that runs on basically any system but just on yours, create your own 3rd Party driverpacks with the necessary drivers.
That will slim them down considerably.

Also, you may want to use nLite to remove unnecessary components from yor XPCD to make more room for the DriverPacks.
That way, I can easily fit a DX addon, .NET 1.1 & 2.0 as well as some other tweaks on the CD and still manage to slipstream all official DriverPacks as well as all but the printer 3rd Party DriverPacks on an ordinary 700MB CD (I haven't come across 800MB RWs so that's the main reason for me to stay with 700MB discs!).

What Helmi says smile

You can easily leave out DriverPack Graphics C - very few people actually need support for Quadro or FireGL GPU's. That's already 34 MB less. And actually it's rather towards 300MB than 200 tongue

You could also 'hack' DriverPack Graphics A by leaving out the ATI CCC or the ATI CCP, depending on which one you use. That will save another 20 MB or so.

I know the idea and I support it. I do want my CD to work on every system.
I nLitened Windows to ~220 MB, but I use XPize, wich makes it around 240 MB, Office2003SP2+hotfixes (W, E, PP, Dutch) (60MB), .Net1.1+2.0 (27MB) and a lot more stuff. Things most people need... not some special software. Things like Java JRE, Mozilla apps... I use Windows Vista soundscheme and I add 4 themes. Most things (that do not need an installer) I have in 1 major 7z file wich is around 45 MB (ini files, themes etc), Nero Lite (47MB). Antivirus, Perfectdisk. And WMLite/Quick/Realite + ffdshow ~20 MB..
I am thinking about creating my own Nero Lite.. with the 6.6 version that resulted in a Nero installer that was only 25 MB...so I assume Nero Lite 7 can be smaller as well. But it would take too much time to do it.

in total my apps + 7z file take up 300 MB. + 12 MB for my default Vista theme (uncompressed in $OEM$) makes it a total of ~550 MB.
Wich leaves 150 MB free, but I am planning to use 800MB cds since I have never found an old CDROM that couldn't read the disc. Then I have 250 MB free.. but I want to reserve 9 MB for Acronis True Image (from a Boot menu) + perhaps even add Acronis partitioner (9).. and ofcourse around 30 MB free space to allow the driverpacks and other things to grow smile

My CD doesn't just install on any pc, it sets all apps to work fine from the moment the PC boots after first GUI boot. I add ini files for things like Winamp and Xnview etc.

very offtopic, anyway, I leave out the DP-G C,  then the driverpacks are 223 MB. I am considering leaving out A as well since Ati and nVidia drivers are very easily found and installed. Perhaps I put a link for both drivers in my Autorun menu. But I prefer not to remove it.
I searched A for files I could remove,  I remember someone once proposed to delete all non-English helpfiles. I was against that idea, but know I considered it. I found out it isn't worth it... in some folder there are 12 MB of helpfiles... since they are mostly text, 7z compresses it nicely. Also helpfiles in your own language are always nice for some people.
I also saw the ATI CCC and CCP, they take up 20 MB. Catalyst Control Center + Catalyst Control Panel... Won't the installfile/script fail if I remove CCC? And I am curious what would happen if I remove both.. I assume that would be at least a dumb thing to do smile

Last edited by zilexa (2006-08-20 00:02:32)

The Finisher would not complaint. All it would do is log the error if the file is not found. Note that the file must not be present at all if you're not installing either one.

Another possibility: remove all the SoundMAX drivers (D\S\SM I think). That might save some MB's as well... at the sacrifice of losing support for many devices of course. You may also want to remove some Creative sound drivers, as they are HUGE.