Topic: UN7ZIP.EXE - Application Error (Method 2, start of GUI-mode phase)

UN7ZIP.EXE - Application Error
The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000006). Click on OK to terminate the application.

The above has happened twice now on a physical computer I'm trying to build a super-ultra-multi-unattended WinXP disc for. (edit: should mention: Happens shortly after the blue background and cursor comes up for first GUI boot during Setup, cursor changes to hourglass and back, about 15 seconds, then error comes up. Click OK several times, and Windows Setup starts up.) It's frustrating the ever loving sh*t out of me, because I tried this exact-same installation under VMware, and it works fine. The system has 512mb RAM and I _think_ it may be related to the fact that 7-Zip is a _huge_ memory hog (may be running out of memory?). But many of the systems I'd be using this disc on will have even less than that... so I really hope that's not the problem.

(edit: After clicking OK to about 4 more of those same errors, I get another error:

C:\DSPdsblr.exe
Windows cannot find 'C:\DSPdsblr.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.

... then Windows Setup starts without extracting the DriverPacks.)

What stumps me is that this is so "Ungoogleable". I searched about this problem and found absolutely nobody else even referencing a similar problem.

Here is my method:

1) Original XP SP3 files copied to folder on desktop.
2) nLite with a _ton_ of integrations, updates, installers, batch operation, startup autoit script, etc...
3) DriverPacks BASE 8.12.4 slipstream to folder (Disc mode), Method 2 integration, Custom finisher (added w/ nLite in batch file & tested working fine), using CPU 8.04, Chipset 9.02, LAN 8.12.1, WLAN 8.06, MassStorage 9.01, and customized Sound A 8.05 and Graphics B 8.12.1 packs (removed Creative junk from Sound A, and ATI/nVidia pro drivers from Graphics B leaving only Intel) integrated using "3rd party driverpacks", no KTD, QSC enabled.
4) Burn to disc using ImgBurn, ISO9660 filesystem only (no Joliet or UDF, all filenames changed to uppercase).

Any tips? I might get it fixed but I'm really ticked that I wasted a CD-R on a disc that didn't work right! The weird thing is, it worked fine when I burned it on a DVD+RW and I can't see why it would fail now with a CD-R (also failed earlier with a CD-RW). All files on disc were verified against originals during burn, and nothing was changed... but I'll Shift+F10 it during Setup and see what it sees, why it failed!

Last edited by FalconFour (2009-04-06 16:35:43)

http://hostfile.org/f-16_user.gif

Re: UN7ZIP.EXE - Application Error (Method 2, start of GUI-mode phase)

Burned the exact same source files back to the DVD+RW, reformatted the HDD again, started from scratch as usual, and guess what? No error, extracts fine.

I don't think DP's software is to blame directly here, but... perhaps, it's doing something that causes the filesystem on the disc to flip out?

I'm going to take this to ImgBurn's support pages as well, it seems to be something relating to how ImgBurn burns CDs versus DVDs. I do know that nLite's direct-to-disc burn to DVD doesn't work properly (it "burns" but results in a corrupt/unreadable filesystem) but works fine with CDR/W media, so there's something different happening with how DVDs are burned versus CDs... that may be a clue.

Last edited by FalconFour (2009-04-06 16:52:47)

http://hostfile.org/f-16_user.gif

I exactly got the same problem.
Tried different methods tried to use it with an unmodified xp but the result is all the same.

I'll rip a new image and do things from scratch as i see that it solved your problem.

If someone has deeper knowledge on this issue, your help is welcome...

New Results:

I were doing all stuff on my desktop and after moving them to the driver root things started to work.
I also used a short folder name like "WXPSP3".
Not sure what made the difference, just wanted to share it anyway...

Last edited by themodest (2009-11-07 18:15:54)

I loved your method.
Thanks for sharing.

Your lame attempt to spam our forums has been thwarted!