Topic: Monitor vs LCD driverpacks?

Did the 'philosophical' differences between the Monitor and LCD driverpacks ever get ironed out?

LCD; it's obvious. LCD drivers/.ini files.

Monitor; not so much.  Does the Monitor pack support glass tubes only or LCDs as well?  If LCDs, does it cover the same range as the LCD pack?  If LCDs, is there any deliberate effort to sync up support between the LCD and Monitor packs?

Hey, I hope that EVERYONE is having a great end-of-year holiday time.  So far I've attended respectfully formal and racously infomal celebrations with Hmong, Christian, Jewish, Arabic, and Chinese friends and I still have the 'official' New Years to get through.  It look like New Years will start with some local Russian friends and then move over to an Irish party.  If any Hmong friends invite you to a party, beware of the local LauLau, it often serves double duty as rocket fuel.......

Peace

Last edited by newsposter (2008-12-29 04:40:02)

Re: Monitor vs LCD driverpacks?

Good questions...

I got quite confused myself.
So far, I have simply been adding all of the packs to cover as many drivers as possible, taking potential overlapping and waste of space into account.

Per definitionem, Monitor should cover all visual user interfaces (those "glass tubes" are actually called CRTs - Cathode Ray Tubes, the pack should be renamed to that if it was only that and not LCDs, btw).

Maybe the creators of the actual packs could chime in and shed some light on that.
Otherwise, we will probably have to run a file comparison between packs, delete duplicates, then merge them into one pack (easier than splitting them up...).

By the size of the current Monitor pack, I guess it covers all, LCD and CRT alike.

but it done http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic. … 300#p27300
CRT, LCD, some notebooks displays and touchscreen displays
in my last pack are .xls tables each to  1 vendor subfolder, see them
u can replace all "E:\Work\Driverpacks\3rd party DriverPacks\DP_Monitor_wnt5_x86-32_81224\DP_Monitor_wnt5_x86-32_81022" in 1st column to "%1", where %1 = ur_full_path_to_mon_dir
in !XPsp3.xls file are all monitors, supported by WinXP_Pro_sp3_en

last step is to correct old infs (delete or comment strings, that about monitors, which have new signet drivers) smile, or may be it is not really needed smile

Last edited by Us2002 (2008-12-29 05:58:57)

Alright then, I did not check your pack before posting wink

If that's the case, we should remove the LCD pack then, unless you or someone else is also keeping that one current (it should contain the same LCD files as the Monitor pack, after all).

One thing to consider would be the relative sizes of an LCD-only pack vs an 'everything' Monitor pack and the on-going usefulness of integrating CRT support with LCD support and industry sales trends.

The most current rev of the LCD pack is about 10 Mb while the Monitor pack is nearly double that at 19.5 Mb.  I don't think that any attempt has been made to remove conflicting and/or duplicate HWIDs between the two so a size comparison of the current examples may only be marginally useful.

There was some discussion on this a while back.  I believe that the general consensus was that an official, frequently updated LCD pack was the way to go forward but that an intermittantly updated Monitor pack would be useful for legacy reasons.  The discussion kind of slacked off at that point without an official pronouncement.

Last edited by newsposter (2008-12-29 07:20:06)

2newsposter
in "LCD" pack are not only LCD (some CRT inthere) and not all LCD
ps: mooooost part MB`s in mon pack is LCD part

Last edited by Us2002 (2008-12-29 09:19:36)