Re: FindHWIDS v3.2s - The INF Searching, Hardware ID Exporter

I concur, it's more efficient to use shorter paths. v3.0.9 should be out today.

When you say folders do you mean only the folders with ONLY INF files in them or all folders within that one folder regardless of what's in them?

Last edited by stamandster (2008-09-24 03:08:49)

v3.0.9 is out! A little different, more back end stuff that changed... Check first post for change log.

Last edited by stamandster (2008-09-24 03:33:55)

v3.1 out with change log on first post.

Just curious of anyones thoughts on using System class for sysprep.inf imports. Currently FindHWIDS imports SCSIAdapter, HDC and System just the same as sysprep -bmsd does for machine.inf, mshdc.inf, scsi.inf, and pnpscsi.inf (inf's that I know of). But I'm curious if I should just use SCSIAdapter and HDC for the additions and leave off the System class.

My system currently pulls this (with filtering for hardware on) for the latest/nightlies - So I'd get rid of every one of them except PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_266F

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2580="C:\D\C\I1\915.inf" ; System - Intel(R) 915G/P/GV/GL/PL/910GE/GL Processor to I/O Controller - 2580
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_244E="C:\D\C\I1\ich4core.inf" ; System - Intel(R) 82801DB PCI Bridge - 244E
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2640="C:\D\C\I1\ich6core.inf" ; System - Intel(R) 82801FB LPC Interface Controller - 2640
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2660="C:\D\C\I1\ich6core.inf" ; System - Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM PCI Express Root Port - 2660
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2662="C:\D\C\I1\ich6core.inf" ; System - Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM PCI Express Root Port - 2662
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_266F="C:\D\C\I1\ich6ide.inf" ; hdc - Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 266F

Btw, I could always add functionality to the program to NOT add certain hwids and/or classes.

Last edited by stamandster (2008-09-24 07:26:33)

you have reached teh point where teh rest of the work is done for you in the mass storage INI wink

by parseing the contents of that file you will be a base plugin in thst your tool will use the info in the current packs INI and then be compatable with all the mass storage packs previous and yet to be released it also allows for people who are familiar or wish to learn the ability to easily customize everything. including extending the number of drivers that can be included by useing the existing tag names to rename the duplicately named files again automaticaly and with known good substitutions.

this was my plan to do in base... i havent had the time to see what actually needs done...
i plan to use the output of your tool to see what i must get base to generate.
by having a known good pattern established i can easily code base to provide said output...
i just need to know what sysprep expects \ tolerates ... wink

as i reviiew my thoughts above... i belive you have placed the ball in my court sir...
looks like sysprep may be our squeeky wheel at this point... wink

think about it and i am here for any questions as always...

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

I guess the answer is yes wink a big leave the System class OUT! I can take the hint big_smile

I could always write a function in the tool to parse TO a Driverpacks mass storage ini file for you. That way it'll grab everything and then you can just crop what you don't want in the ini file. No missing hwids. How do you determine if the INF gets these:

ms_X_isBusExtender - Think I found it in the inf LoadOrderGroup = System Bus Extender
ms_X_exc_disableIfOS
ms_X_exc_replaceIfOS
ms_X_exc_skipIfOS

These below seem to be mandatory:

ms_count=X changes when there are more than one .inf/.sys files present in the folder ?
ms_X_deviceName is self explanatory - if this is wrong at all does it screw things up ?
ms_X_tag is the service ?
ms_X_sysFile is the .sys file associated with the inf file ?
ms_X_hwids are the hwids associated with that inf file ?

Each section looks like a folder name. It looks like it only parses 32bit Windows 2000, XP and 2003 hwids. However, there are Vista/2008 sections in many of the drivers, especially Intel.

An aside, I noticed that ms_1_exc_skipIfOS="w2k,wxp" for "elxstor". That's good because it's certainly a screwy driver in xp. Also, I'll be in training till thursday so no updates on the software at least until Friday. I'll still be on the forums though.

I think that's it for now. Thank you for your thoughts on the matter Jeff!

Oh, and what is M1, M2 and M3 and SAD? You can pm me about this if you don't feel it necessary to bung the thread up with un-pertinent information.

Last edited by stamandster (2008-09-24 12:12:37)

no i dont think it will ever be possable to have the mas storage ini generated by a program...
at least the result would not be as good as if it were done by hand...
IE we would get 20 posts a day about 000007b BSOD after first reboot... smile

there are too many things that only experience can provide the solution for...
(because they don't make sense or are inconsistent)
this is the key to what makes DriverPacks unique. anybody can put some drivers in a zipfile wink

and is why i belive the mass INI should be the source for your sysprep output...
this is in effect the same as stealing the bartpe code...
which is a path for me to explore for createing the sysprep output.
a slight mod to the bartpe code might not be that tough of a row to hoe... wink
perhaps most of the bartpe code is already appropriate for provideing the output

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

I see... so there's not real rhyme or reason except through trial and error. You guys haven't found any links of why this happens??

Well the reason I asked was because I created my tool to not only work with Driverpacks but any set of drivers. The driverpacks were my inspiration, most definitely. I can create a separate tool or function to parse the mass storage ini and input that data instead of an inf file scan type that would normally have to be done for regular no driverpacks drivers.

So in it's most basic form it will do an INIReadSectionNames to an array and for each array it'll read the ms_count and then read each ms_X_hwids as X is the count number.  The string will be stringsplit by comma. It'll grab the from rootdir together with the section name for the folder location. A dash will signify a subfolder, which a stringreplace can be used. However, I don't know how you choose the inf name. Is that from ms_1_tag with just an .inf added on? I'd probably throw a if fileexists to check if the person actually has that file for no errors.

Also, why do you split W2k3 and XP? From what I've found the drivers make no delineation between XP and 2003. However they do between 2000 and XP/2003 and Vista/2008. 2000 is only NT.5.0. XP can be either NT.5.1 (release), NT.5.2 (sp1 and later) and 2003 can be NT.5.2 only. No extension tells it that it can be used on all machines 98 and later. The architecture split is .nt for all 2000 and later machines. .ntx86 for all x86 machines 2000 and later. .ntamd64 for x64 machines XP/2003 and later and .ntia64 for Itanium machines XP/2003 and later. NT.6.0 is for Vista/2008 drivers, they are hal independent.

However, exclude from select can also exclude certain things from certain OS versions and processor arch types, too. So it might be wise to look into that as well.

Last edited by stamandster (2008-09-24 13:38:14)

the .sys file is renamed to the tag name wink
and the inf is not needed or used sisnce th inf info has been populated into the source files (txtsetup)

ther is a limit to the number of drivers that canbe added to an OS
2k has the smallest amount and 2k3 the most and xp is in the middle
we have not yet topped out for xp or 2k3 we hit the ceiling for 2k years ago and that is why so many are disabled for 2k if we dont it will BSOD...
IE to add a driver to 2k an existing driver must be disabled...

This is all thorughly documented in several places on the site. wink

again this file can not be maintained by a program there are too many quirks... wink
it takes me anywhere from weeks to months to train a noob on the mass storage pack...
ask the team... wink  You would have begun to beat your head against the wall just as Jaak did when he first started doing the mass storage pack. It's insane really. Things that should work fine just don't...
(search for Silly Cone hill or 3112 or silicon hill or 3124 and get a glimpse of insanity)
I am offering to keep you from pulling your hair out... all you have to do is accept wink

again the more we talk the more it seems you have laid the groundwork and in so doing motivated me...
it is simple matter for me to do this with the support of a team... and i know there is a handful of you guys
Skinlayers, detard, JakeLD, yourself, galepo and dome others that will fill in the gaps in my experience and provide test results...

your tool has inspired me, and i have cleared the "back burner" stuff i was working on...
you have made life easier for the team and myself
you have contributed to the greater good of the comunity

So allow me to help you now wink lets add the sysprep platform to base big_smile
with your existing dedication and a few testers we can make this happen,
and we can make sure it gets done in a world class fashion

and i dont even feel like i have to ask you if your on board - i because i jsut know you are big_smile

PS no... XP is always nt 5.1 (or build 2600)

PSS it may help if you add me to your IM, so we can expidite the exchange of info that is inevitable.
we can then summarize our findings in the forum for more consise reading by a user.

Yeah I need my hair. I appreciate you doing this for us. This'll keep things nice and sane!

I just hope my program doesn't leave blind spots or at least lessens them.

And I'm definitely on board. big_smile

OverFlow wrote:

PSS it may help if you add me to your IM, so we can expidite the exchange of info that is inevitable.
we can then summarize our findings in the forum for more consise reading by a user.

Do you want to exchange IM info with me as well, as it will be easier to get a hold of me that way?

http://d1syubgj0w3cyv.cloudfront.net/cdn/farfuture/5ocSdUxUxrK5g8rfTm7_39bPWgBMWiteXNH4McROrNw/perpetual:forever/userbar/mainteam-1.png

Just pm me your AIM im

kickarse wrote:

Just pm me your AIM im

Okay.  Sent you a PM.

Jeff - Do you want my screen name as well?  I have AOL, MSN, and Yahoo! messengers.

http://d1syubgj0w3cyv.cloudfront.net/cdn/farfuture/5ocSdUxUxrK5g8rfTm7_39bPWgBMWiteXNH4McROrNw/perpetual:forever/userbar/mainteam-1.png

OverFlow wrote:

and is why i belive the mass INI should be the source for your sysprep output...

Based on my experience coding OfflineSysPrep etc. for injection of drivers into an offline xp/2003 system, my opinion is that this would be the way to go as it guarantees the generation of unique driver names, hwids, etc.

Regards,
Galapo.

Last edited by Galapo (2008-09-25 09:30:52)

EP- yes my IM is in my profile... just be sure to tell me who it is so i dont decline you wink

Galapo wrote:
OverFlow wrote:

Based on my experience coding OfflineSysPrep etc. for injection of drivers into an offline xp/2003 system, my opinion is that this would be the way to go as it guarantees the generation of unique driver names, hwids, etc.

Regards,
Galapo.

I agree an off line sysprep of some sort IS the way to go, ultimately. However, for those that can't do a PE type pre-boot I think the only way to not get a BSOD is to use the mass storage packs ini file to parse drivers from. Jeff is working on this utility. And I'll probably add something to my utility as well.

The process though for offline sysprep is to boot a PE environment, install drivers into the PE environment so you can see the drive, then inject the drivers into sysprep.ini based on the current hardware and the OS type that was imaged.

Because of my limited use of PE I don't know how to edit the layed down images registry nor the PE registry. But, alas, I'm getting off topic.

v3.1.1 is out and fixes the sysprep to be only scsiadapter, hdc. Also the hardware/os filter is corrected.

Last edited by stamandster (2008-09-27 00:52:58)

v3.1.3 is out and adds MD5 checking!

Last edited by stamandster (2008-09-27 02:42:46)

Wow, you're working so hard, you're making the rest of us look slow! big_smile

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

lol... well I just got back from a boring Crystal Reports XI training. So I was itching/chopping at the bit. smile

Overflow don't forget that you also need to parse HDC from the Chipset drivers too! For instance Intel IDE drivers.

Last edited by stamandster (2008-09-27 04:07:00)

kickarse wrote:

boring Crystal Reports XI training.

Lord isn't that the truth! smile

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

Amen brother!

Release!
v3.1.5 @ 2008-09-26 11:03am EST - Added OS and OS Architecture as a filter. Choosing Sysprep output will automatically choose filtering of OS and OS architecture.

I am a hard core individual... (you may have felt some of that energy)

I would not in good concience slipstream a mass storage controler without first slipstreaming the chipset driver that is its foundation... Others may do this and have success with it... not good enough for me. Do it right or Don't do it... chipset must be included and precede mass "anything less would be uncivilized" tongue

Excellent! I hope that this latest version really gives the best understanding of the drivers in the packs. Overflow, have you made any progress on the sysprep parser?

Last edited by stamandster (2008-09-27 11:11:40)

i will be hitting the ground running until a week from wednesday.
I won't be able to sit down long enough to do any good until at least then wink
If i am lucky i can get the language updates out over the weekend...

PS you can always check the "To do list" i keep it up to date wink
Note: i try to work from the top down...   big_smile